Amp Head for Big Clean Pedal Platform?

ReggiedaDog

Tele-Meister
Ive been using a Lonestar Classic for years that Ive had to sell for parts after */$%ing it up beyond repair trying to convert it to head and cab. Ive also got a Mark V (too much amp for me) and a Lonestar special (not enough headroom) and have just returned a Pro Reverb- (LOVED it but the noise floor was ridiculous). I have been considering a twin reissue worried about noise after the pro reverb.

Im thinking of selling everything and buying myself a really really good head and cab

I play in a pop covers band so need big spanky cleans, around 40/50w, great with pedals, an MV or attenuator would be nice but not a big issue (I use a tonemaster deluxe at home), reverb nice but not a big issue. I tried a Tone King Imperial II that I loved but 20w wont be loud enough for me.

Im considering just going back to a Lonestar Classic Head and Cab, but been tempted by the Victory Super Duchess or Two Rock? Any other suggestions?

JohnnyThul

Tele-Meister
Seeing you are located in the UK, I would highly recommend to at least check out the Victory Super Duchess. I think, it is a great amp and very well priced in the EU for a product made in the UK. It s voiced very musically to my ears, no shrillness or harshness as you often hear from other companies. There is loads of headroom available, a nice enough clean and there are voicings which can bring it close to an early Plexi type of sound.
I think Martin Kidd has just great ears when it comes to voicing, I have not played a Victory (or Cornford) amp that I did not like.
I currently own a Sheriff 44 and a VC 35 Deluxe Combo and have had a Duchess Deluxe Combo for quite a while.
Only downside may be, that the amps seem to be on the quiet side, given the power ratings (yes, I know, it's a matter of speakers as well, of course), but actually in these days live situations, that's actually a plus in my book :).
If used amps are an option, I can also vote for a Fender Prosonic, very nice cleans with a good midranged, nowhere as "scooped" as blackface amps and 3 rectifier options as well as an insanely over the top gain stage. But as a pedal platform amp, definitely recommended, although I only know the combo, not the head which seems to be different sounding, from what I read here.

KC

Friend of Leo's
Orange might not your first thought when it comes to a big clean pedal platform but the Rockerverb 50 MkIII would do the trick nicely -- dual channel, EQ on both, builtin reverb and attenuator. Has a tremendous big sound through a 2x12. Big iron. I can imagine running out of amp with this thing but there's also a 100-watt version.

ReggiedaDog

Tele-Meister
Seeing you are located in the UK, I would highly recommend to at least check out the Victory Super Duchess.
Yeah this is very high on my try list- never played through one but have seen lots of bands using them and there are some great tones

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
The Orange Pedal Baby looks perfect.

Pedal-Baby-100-1-1030x1030.png

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's

If you're serious about "pedal platform" I have no idea why you'd consider the weight and expense of a valve amplifier.

exactly. at that rate if it HAS to be tube, and HAS to be clean, buy a 70s TR for like 700 bucks or a PA-100 for like 4-500.

i think a lot of people just don't know what they want - it HAS to be THIS way or THIS way, etc. they chase JC-120 tone in something never meant for that.

you buy a low-mid wattage tube amp for sag, compression and grind. if that's not your deal, go SS or extremely high wattage tube that's stupid affordable and unloved.

Last edited:

Lawdawg

Friend of Leo's
My first thought was a SF Twin Reverb. I have a '73 and for me it's the ideal high headroom clean pedal platform. The Fender Dual Showman is essentially the Twin Reverb in head format, if you can find one of these I'd give it a shot.

For a new amp with high headroom, and budget permitting, I'd be looking at a Reeves Space Cowboy or Custom which come in 50 and 100 watt versions. Reeves amps are based on HiWatt designs and will definitely give you all the clean headroom you can handle.

Cosmic Cowboy

Tele-Afflicted
The SuperSonic 60 heads are around for reasonable $. Sweet Fender Blackface and Bassman tones. Great pedal platform.

Attachments

• 430760000050000-00-500x500.jpg
    430760000050000-00-500x500.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 15

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
A vintage Bandmaster would work well or for modern, a Lindy Fralin VVT. I have the VVT combo and it is killer, but wished I went with the head version. If you can find one, that would be the holy grail in modern heads.