1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Amp head and regular speaker

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by PaulHaa, Oct 24, 2016.

1. PaulHaa

PaulHaa Tele-Meister

Hey,

So I have two very good JBL speakers out of the 90's from my dad. And I was wondering if they would work with an amp head? (sorry for stupid question I've only been paying through combos).
    So can I plug in a let's say marshall head into those speakers? And will it sound good?

2. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

What are the speakers impedance and what head ?

3. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

Not knowing what JBLs they are, its impossible to say. One of the things that make Marshall a "Marshall" are the Celestion speakers in there which definitely color the sound.

I had a JBL D130 speaker from the 50s and it sounded great with a solid-state Jazz amp. Would it have sounded good with a Marshall? Maybe, but it wouldn't sound like a Marshall I think.

You also have to be concerned about the power rating of the speaker and that the marshall won't take the speaker beyond that (preferably not near it.)

As Tomm pointed out, need to know the model head, model of JBL speaker at the least, but will be helpful if you post speakers impedence and power rating if you know it.

4. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Should be a model on them something like D120, K120 or whatever. That'll help trying to pinpoint a wattage rating.

Sound with a Marshall? What Marshall?

I run two D120Fs with an older 1987 in combo cab I built. Honestly I picked those particular speakers because they were laying around. I like them for what I do though.
    Exept when I move the stupid thing !

5. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

To sum up the above, here's your list:

1. Get the model numbers and impedance ratings of the JBLS's (if you can't find the impedance, read the DC resistance with a multimeter - it will read a bit lower than the impedance rating)
    2. Ditto the model of Marshall, and whether or not it has a single-impedance output jack for the speaker of one with a switch that changes it.

Post those bits of info and we may be able to tell you if they'll work or not.

As far as whether they'll SOUND good or not is a subjective thing - but in my experience JBL's as a rules just don't match up real well with Marshalls. However, YOU may like it.

6. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Are they JBL musical instrument speakers? They aren't JBL "stereo" speakers, right? JBL made some instrument speakers called "M" series, not so great, and also some sound reinforcement speakers in the 90s that were considered iffy, if the return numbers at Guitar Center are relevant. What are model names/numbers of the speakers?

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm thinking they are home stereo speakers, not musical instrument speakers.
    Not a good idea to run the guitar amp into those IMO.

PaulHaa likes this.
  8. PaulHaa

PaulHaa Tele-Meister

I can't look the speaker specs up right now because they're still over at my dad's place but after reading this it should work? (if it sounds good or not) so maybe I'll just try it and then buy a cabinet if it sounds really ****ty.

9. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Can you ask your dad what the speakers were doing when he got them? In an amp? In a stereo system? In the door of a sedan? Do you have photos?

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

If they're stereo speakers you might blow the tweeters. Maybe even the crossover network.
    They would be rated for clean power, so distortion might cause damage even below the rated power handling.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.