Amp gets transformer rewind, still has same problem!! (Rant)

2L man

Tele-Afflicted
Wow, 11 tube amp! :)

If you still keep testing it turm voltage selector to highest available. Perhaps it is 250 or 260V? This drop secondary voltages and it should calm down this erratic operation. It is not unusual that there comes hum from speaker when amp is turned on. There flow higher current and hum can transfer to OT elecgromagnetically.

When amp begin to hiss I think is a sign that tubes have heated hot enough and voltages have stabilized and this hissing symptom can begin. It did go quiet soon? Did you turn amp Off or did it by itself? If it did turn quiet by itself does it function? If it does function normally it can just be one of the amp warming up features and possibly you have to accept it? Possibly just one tube make it?

Flyboy

Tele-Afflicted
2L-Man: I switched the amp off myself.

So, update and weirdness. I finally plugged a guitar in and all channels work but there is some heavy clipping going on (see audio file link in this post) on all channels. But the weird thing was that when I turned the amp on, that loud buzz was nowhere near as bad, more of a loud hum this time. Also, I switched the amp off.....and the dissipating, sizzling hiss was absent! I'm baffled.

So, to recap: loud hum still present but at around 50% volume; no hiss on turn-off. Hum present when all volumes turned down. Clipping every channel when playing hard.

Have a listen below; further comments appreciated. Amp going back to tech tomorrow morning.

Last edited:

2L man

Tele-Afflicted
Yes there is definitely something wrong but I can't say anything more specufin. Amp tech should be able to troubleshoot and fix it :)

Flyboy

Tele-Afflicted
Now sorted. Amp running clean. Several components replaced and also output valves replaced with NOS quartet EL84.