1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

amp from the dump

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by PaulHaa, Sep 27, 2017.

1. grooveiron

grooveiron Tele-Holic

This made me laugh! He was YOUR helper after all?…

2. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

I don't know about other towns and cities, but we have shops around here that collect things that are thrown out, and resell them.
    Most of it is in fine condition. some of it needs minor repair or refurbishing. The owner of one shop told us that he went around to the wealthy parts of town
    on trash day, before the trucks came by, and collected a great deal of what he sold in his shop. These folks just threw things out because it was easy, and they
    were replacing them, simply because they were "old".

One man gathers what another man spills.

Wally likes this.
  3. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

I have a squier strat that someone threw out. It only needs a nut for the output jack, and it will be 100%. It was in an enormous pile of stuff, I think someone had been evicted.

4. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

There's a big sign at our dump: "NO SALVAGING"
    :(

5. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Sometimes that reason has nothing to do with the usefulness of the item in question.

A friend of mine scored a UREI 1178 stereo studio compressor from a local college- he was delivering some rental gear and saw it in a trash pile at the theater. He asked the TD if they were really throwing it out, and he said "that old junker? Oh yeah, it's yours if you want it." They're worth a couple grand.

That just means "be discreet"

kuvash, Bill Moore and LiteAsh like this.
  6. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

The late Ted Weber would've been your go-to on that one.

7. ChopSauce

ChopSauce Tele-Meister

If you can buy the amp for less than the price of the hardware (better not including the speaker, just in case ;-) and plan some build with it, then it's OK!

At mine, too! But what really drives me nuts is that they organise a recycling fest every year, with professional demonstrations, but still nobody allowed to salvage nothing at all -

8. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

A good friend of mine runs our county dump. I get a phone call anytime a musical instrument or anything with tubes shows up[emoji41]

BobbyZ and Nickfl like this.
  9. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Serviced about a 65 Ampeg Rocket for a guy that was found in a New Mexico dumpster. He'd been playing it a few years before I worked on it, still running the original CTS alnico 12".
    Point is some people have no idea what they're throwing away.
    Personally all I ever get are old organs right before thay haul them to the dump. Great sorce for tubes although most of them are of little use to me
    But a good pair of USA 6v6s or 7591s and a few 12ax7s, 5u4s, maybe a real GZ34, keeps me looking.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.