1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

amp from the dump

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by PaulHaa, Sep 27, 2017.

1. PaulHaa

PaulHaa Tele-Meister

Hey,

I want to buy some old amp parts and amps from my local dump. Is there anything I should watch out/look for? And how much should I expect to pay for one that is still restorable with a few parts and stuff?

Thanks guys

Paul

24 track likes this.
  2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

The dump has a guitar shop?
    All I get is lawnmowers, old tools and dishes.

3. PaulHaa

PaulHaa Tele-Meister

ours has sometimes old amps. no guitars or stuff but if you're lucky you can find some pretty rad stuff

4. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Common tubes for guitar. I picked up a stereo console and the tube heaters run off of 50V. They just put them in series along with the 12AX7 and ran it across the line. Speaking of, you want something with a power transformer. Real tube sockets are nice, the wafer sockets work fine for a stationary radio but if you plan on hauling it around I would avoid them. About all I hope for is transformers, sockets and tubes from a doner. Resistors and caps I don't bother with used although for a first build they could be fine.

mc84, 24 track, PaulHaa and 2 others like this.
  5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I have to ask.....So, at your local trash dump ground, there is a 'last chance shop' where you can buy things?

24 track and sds1 like this.
  6. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

there is a reason they're at the dump

24 track and drf64 like this.
  7. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Which maybe only that the person who threw them away just didn't want to deal with them anymore.

In the late 90's when I was way into building amps, a guitar student of mine told me that when his family was doing something like helping clean up or organize his grandparents' house, his dad had thrown away some working tube radios because he didn't think they were worth messing with and that nobody would be interested in them. Oh boy did that irk me.

8. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

I imagine there must be tons of this going on everywhere, folks with less-collectible amps that don't work so good anymore. You gotta spend $200+ for service just to sell it? I bet much of this goes from storage to trash.

I am real curious what a "We Buy Broken Tube Amps" ad on Craigslist would yield...

SheldonP and 24 track like this.
  9. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

I threw out three 4'x4'x4' containers full of tubes the first week that I was employed at a college as they were not being used in the curriculum teaching electronics. I wanted to snag a bunch of them but they cracked down on it when a contractor started rifling through them.

I threw out a pair of 1951 Celestion speakers that had pressed aluminum baskets and anico magnets. Weighed nothing and sounded terrific. The voice coils unraveled and when I asked Celestian if they had recone kits they said no sent the spec sheet. I always thought I would machine new voice coils and rewind them but after 20 years of them sitting around I tossed them out with regret when I moved out of a 1000 sq ft house and into a 10'x10' room. If they had recone parts then as they do now I never would have got rid of them.

[​IMG]

The magnet and back structure was bolted onto a plate that had the voice coil cut out of it. It was centered by hand and then bolted tight.

[​IMG]

I would haul them out of the dump any day.

10. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

some reasons include:
    did not check the fuse
    did not look inside for a second fuse
    oxidized components

robrob, Darkness and nojazzhere like this.
  11. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I used to work for a company that we sometimes made our own dump runs. My helper just couldn't help himself, and we would come back with more than we took there! Often things that are easily fixed, lawn mowers, string trimmers, etc.
    I sent him with a load in my truck once, and told him, "don't bring anything back!" When he drove into the shop, I knew he picked up something. I went out to chew him out, but he showed me what he got, A Dynaco amplifier, and a Harmon Karden tube receiver. The receiver worked, and we used it in the shop, with a couple of 6x9 speakers. I took the amp home, and later fixed it with a resistor!

robrob likes this.
  12. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

My neighbour snagged an old speaker cabinet from the dump, not much to look at but had a Black Widow inside, not bad for free.

13. dan40

dan40 Tele-Afflicted

I have a friend that works at the local dump and he has brought me several decent combo amps that did not work. I usually reuse the chassis and cab and throw out the other stuff unless the transformers are usable. I have built several nice amps out of these old carcasses.

sds1 likes this.
  14. Jugador

Jugador NEW MEMBER!

I would check on weekends or early in the week. People have time on the weekends to clean out their homes and great stuff ends up in the dump.

Found a small mid 60's danelectro combo amp with a bad speaker and no tubes out by the trash bins next to the curb on my way home from work. Swapped out the speaker and plugged in some tubes and it sounds great. Found an old peavey pacer in the same way but that thing has been at the shop for months. I probably won't hear from it any time soon. One person's trash is another's treasure. Especially on Saturday.

15. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Earlier one summer the city was having its annual junk collection day or what I call Xmas in May!:D

As I was driving home from work, I was taking a slow drive to view that piles of potential treasure that lay on the curb when I spied hockey stick shape object sticking out the top of a pile of items awaiting pickup from the trash collector.:eek:

It had guitar tuners on it.:eek: Having been a proud owner of a 1966 Fender XII guitar in my earlier life I know what the item was and promptly but safely pulled my car over to retrieve said "hockey stick" from yonder pile of treasures. My recovery of the item revealed it was Fender Shenandoah 12 string acoustic guitar more specifically a Oct. 1968 Fender Shenandoah 12 string guitar as the neck date revealed with a complete functioning set of "F" tuners. Unfortunately the body of the guitar was in bad shape with the top, sides and back severely cracked and the top braces cracked thru and separated from the top. In short situation normal for this era of Fender acoustic guitar. (These should have never been built IMHO. I mean come on! Do they really think that putting an aluminum bar between the tail block and neck block was right way to build these things?:rolleyes:

But the neck was fine only showing an previous repair to the block marker @ the 1st fret to allow a truss rod replacement and some playing wear on the back of the neck.

willhowl and VOXTOTHEMAX like this.
  16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I once saw a little Crate practice amp at someone's curb trashpile. I stopped and picked it up....took it home and it works fine. I wouldn't give $5 for it, but I'll give it to someone needing an amp someday.

I ALWAYS pick up vacuum cleaners at the curb.....99% of the time they just need cleaning and "un-clogging"....people just don't know how to maintain things. Anyway, I get them going again, and give them to Goodwill.

17. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

you never know why they are at the dump ,I would pick them up if I could ,check the condition and if the amps look good enough offer a package deal like 20.00 for them all see what they say, he /she may come back with 35.00 and its adeal or they may take the 20 and run.

18. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

If I moved into a 10 X 10 room it would really help me focus on what is important.

19. 24 track

I picked up this pepco for 12.00 granted it was a widow maker but I have a schematic from the factory to install a power transformer.

P1011563.JPG P1011565.JPG P1011566.JPG P1011571.JPG

once I retubed it it sounds fantastic ,( just dont use it in the rain) now I need to install the power transformer.

dchwhite and sds1 like this.
  20. 24 track

we used to be able to do that , and I had a rapore with Barb, the girl who ran it ( on a hot summer day I would take her and her co-workers a cold gatrade or a 1/2 sack , everything for me was 5.00 , eg 2x 12' 2x10 cedar planks ( my now guitar rack ) 5.00

P1010005.JPG

this worked really well until some hag fell down and sued the city , now we cant, but if I know what I am looking for I just ask Barb

tubeswell and Wally like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.