Amp for stage/gigging...?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by LGOberean, Sep 10, 2017.

Amp for stage/gigging...?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2017.
  1. Boss Katana 100

15 vote(s)
    16.5%
  2. Orange CR60

8 vote(s)
    8.8%
  3. Peavey Bandit

20 vote(s)
    22.0%
  4. Vox MV50 AC

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  5. Other

47 vote(s)
    51.6%
  1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I’m covered for home/small venue amplification applications. What I don’t have is an amp for band/jams, something that can move some air, be heard onstage, hang with a drummer…You get the idea.

In my poll, you’ll notice that, except for the MV50, I’m not looking at tube amps. I’ve got amps in mind that I’d consider in that category, but for the purposes of this thread, we’re talking about SS amps and the NuTube amp. And I’m looking at current production amps with enough wattage output to do VFW/American Legion halls, outdoor stages, etc. I’m not necessarily looking for a lot in the way of effects built into the amp, but basic stuff would be okay.

I do mostly clean, and I want a full-bodied clean, not necessarily a crystalline/pristine clean. Something warm, and palpable but not piercing. I also do a good bit of crunch. For me, that ranges from mild/just a hair over to point of breakup, to a pervasive crunch that’s still creamy. I don’t do high gain stuff.

Here’s what I’m looking at…

Boss Katana 100. I’m just wanting to consider this because you hear so much about it these days. At this point, I’m not too sure about it, but I don’t want to just write it off.

Orange CR60. Orange amps are known for their crunch, but the cleans are good too, on some of their models, at least.

Peavey Bandit. I’ve owned and gigged with Bandits (and Studio Pros). Over time, I thinned the herd/sold off all but one Bandit, which was since stolen.

Vox MV50, AC model. This fit-in-your-gig-bag amp head has really piqued my interest. But I’ve always owned combos, so buying this tiny little head would also require buying a cab, or actually, two, if I want to get the full 50 watts capability out of the MV50.

Other? Within the general parameters I've set, here's your chance to expand my horizons...

2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I have not been a fan of the Orange amps for cleans, so that one would be off the list for me. I can't speak to the Katana nor the Vox MV50 as I have not used either.

For what you describe as your needs, have you considered a Roland Jazz Chorus amp? Should be able to find a good deal on one just about anywhere. They have a nice clean, reliable, and take pedals well.

Nubs likes this.
  3. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mustang III would be my recommendation just because it's the one I've spent the most time with. You can get that full bodied clean easily.

Jim Dep, willburys, picknfool and 3 others like this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

All good choices!
    I'd recommend the Katana.

Nubs and LGOberean like this.
  5. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I voted for the Orange, 'cause it's on my short list for acquisition. Great sounding solid state.

Grux likes this.
  6. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

If we conclude that you need 20w/40w tube/ss minimum for live use, you realize there are far more amps made and sitting on shelves that are sized for live use, than those that aren't. Almost anything with a 12"?

Just checked. Out of 400+ combos, MF only has about 50 that are undersized. Man, there's lots of amps out there....

hemingway likes this.
  7. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

I find a Deluxe Reverb is pretty loud - I still can't turn it up enough to where I really want it to be without overpowering others.

BTW I demo'd a boogie triple rectifier with 4/12 cab which was really unbelievably toneful but incredibly loud (even though tamed with tubes removed). Something awesome to behold and feel but don't know where ever that could be used in my world.

8. LGOberean

Yeah, Orange amps are known for crunch, not for cleans. Most demo vids give you like 15 seconds of clean sounds, then the rest of the review/demo focuses on the crunch. A couple of family members have Orange amps, both the SS and tube varieties. I don't think the cleans are equal across the total spectrum of Orange offerings, but I've test-driven a 35RT and was pleasantly surprised by the cleans. I haven't had the opportunity to test drive a CR60, but I'd hope for similar tones with the advantage of the additional wattage output.

Is the CR60 the one on your short list? Care to elaborate on that great sound in terms of Clean/Crunch? Are you talking either/or, or are you talking both/and?

I haven't test-driven the Katana yet. I guess I'm hoping for nice cleans on that one, a la JC/Cube offerings.

9. LGOberean

A friend has a Mustang I. I've heard him gig with it in a trio at a coffee shop. Did the job, sounded good. And I've played through it when at his house. But truthfully, I'm too much of an old fool from the old school to get on well with the Mustang's controls. It seems like most everyone age 40 or below find it easy and intuitive. Not me. I find the Champion line of Fender amps much easier to navigate, and sound to my ears just as good. Hmmm...I'd forgotten about the Champions...

lineboat likes this.
  10. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

Peavey Nashville 400

2 Headed Goat, Mike SS and codamedia like this.
  11. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Actually - I don't o_O

First - what style of music? That makes a *huge* difference. What is your "small venue amp and does the band play anywhere with mic'ing? How big is the band; what equipment are the other guitar player(s) (if any), ditto the bass player, keyboard (if any) - and then there's the drummer - does he use a single or double bass kit and *how* does he play? Sticks all the time, or sometimes brushes and /or specialty sticks...but mainly, does he have good dynamics and is able to control his level - or is he inconsistent; or is he a pounder? medium attack (or lighter).

Seriously, every one of these factors makes a big difference. One very important thing to consider - if there is another guitar player and he uses either a fairly strong tube or discrete solid-state amp (not a digital amp) you can run into "drop out" issues if using a digital/modeling amp. It's an odd phenomenon I've seen/heard in various venues, both as the other guitar player and when working sound engineering. At random points a digital amp simply gets lost in the mix.

It's not a consistent problem, but it is common enough to be a concern - and while I haven't been able to gig in 4 years several of my tech clients have reported it's occurring no matter how new the gear is - the exception being Fractal Audio and Kemper rigs.

But the first step is to figure out your actual needs - then fine-tune your min/max levels with an amp driving speakers enough for a full frequency response.

12. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

The roland blues cube artist or stage would be great. Wonderful cleans and it can rock the house, too. I have a blues cube hot (30w) and it's quite loud.
    + from what I've read, it seems the katana is very similar to the blues cube but the katana is digital where the blues cube is analog.

Orange CR60 is great, too!

Grateful Ape likes this.
  13. Serenity23

Serenity23 Tele-Holic

+1

DaphneBlue likes this.
  14. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Afflicted

(Fender Twin Reverb) default perfect correct answer

brogh, jwp2, aerhed and 1 other person like this.
  15. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

I second the choice of the Fender Mustang III. And I'd like to dispel a few myths.
    First, the Mustang I is NOT the same as the Mustang III. Second, the Mustang III is NOT difficult to use. Yes, there are a lot of options, but it can also be dead simple. For example, I have/use only two presets. Both are the Fender Twin 2x12, one master volume set at 3 for rhythm, the second is the exact same preset but with the volume at 7 for solos. Then I use the 2-button footswitch in up/down mode, marked "R" for rhythm and "S" for solo. And that's it. I've had this amp about 3 years, and once I found that sound, I haven't fiddled a knob on the M3 for months and months. Third, it's great for home use and loud enough for gigs in a medium venue, and if I need more, there are 2 xlr outputs on the rear to go straight into the board.

picknfool, ricardo1912 and Vespa_One like this.
  16. TmyBmore

TmyBmore Tele-Meister

The Katana has its own clean sound. You may or may not like it. The MV50 needs the right ohm cabinet to get the 50 watts your going to need for clean headroom. I think of the MV 50 as a pedal platform or backup amp. Of course I always want a tube amp. I think the Katana is the most gigable.

17. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

A Twin can be complete overkill in some (most) situations, and it can be difficult to turn one up enough to even get normal frequency response from the speakers at many gig levels. I have not seen one used live by a local band or in jams in at least 15 years for those reasons. And almost every one is in need of at least basic service, adding $150-350 to the price right out of the gate.

18. Brokenpick

Sorry.
    1/2 serious, based on previous threads where historical stage and realistic bedroom love have repeatedly been documented...
    and 1/2 facetious, based on same...
    But still... they will often "keep up with a drummer", "take pedals well", hold some value if purchased at a good price point, etc. etc.
    whatever.

19. Brokenpick

Sorry.
    1/2 serious, based on previous threads where historical stage and realistic bedroom love have repeatedly been documented...
    and 1/2 facetious, based on same...
    But still... they will often "keep up with a drummer", "take pedals well", hold some value if purchased at a good price point, etc. etc.
    whatever.

20. Tele wacker

Tele wacker Tele-Holic

My gigging amp was not on the list. I use a Fender Deluxe Reverb or Princeton Reverb. I have found nothing better.

Ripradiant, Fearnot and Archtop Bill like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.