1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Amp distorting now and again?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by PeterVV, Apr 15, 2014.

1. PeterVV

PeterVV Tele-Afflicted

Last gig my HRD sounded as though it was going from clean to distortion now and again?, could have been my imagination, but in case it wasnt, what could cause this?. The Amp is only 3 months old, and the volume was only on 4.? I always use it clean , and add pedals in the chain.

2. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Loose tubes? Did the amp get dropped or suffer some kind of shock?

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, if it wasn't the amp but rather your ears or your perception; one might be really worried that your days as a musician are numbered!!! Gulp! ('^)
    SEriously, check the amp out using nothing but a guitar and the amp. Switch in and out of the Gain channel. Make sure the amp is working as it should. IF it isn't, you have found a problem. IF the amp is workign as it should, then hook your rig up as you use it....adn see if you can replicate the problem. IF you can, then one might think the problem is not in the map but rather in the effects.
    Causes???? Lots of options. You have to sift through the stuff.

4. steveneddy

steveneddy Tele-Meister

I have experienced that issue before in a HRD.

It is in the channel switching circuit.

I don't remember specifically - but trace the circuit.

I've seen the jack go bad - that's an easy one.

I've also seen the chip go out - I think the opamp or one of the JFET's in that circuit.

It's been a while since I've been inside one of those - but that's what I remember about that problem.

Here's something about that problem at the amp Garage forums:

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10589&sid=35b56dec346f76a23b677fc9675f4419

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.