Amp decisions

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by trxx, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

For many years I screwed around with vintage amps. I spent lots of dough on techs and tubes chasing tone. At points I achieved a decent tone. Recently I purchased a new DRRI. The sound was incredible. What I was searching for. I couldn't recommend this amp enough. I would buy a reissue twin or super over a vintage one in a heartbeat. There are great vintage models out there to be sure. The consistency of the reissues is well documented and are legitimate considerations.

2. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

OP - On that 80 watt Twin Reverb, pull the two outside output tubes and disconnect ONE speaker. Instant 40 watt, 1X12 Fender amp.

3. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Bob, I have played a few of the newer Deluxes. The first 65 I played blew up in less than a minute in the shop. That really turned me off after reading that lots of people were having issues with them. I checked out a 68 Custom just the other day. It sounded pretty decent, but not quite in the same league as some older Deluxe's that I have played, and it was very different than what I know a Deluxe to sound like. I think I prefer the warmth of the vintage versions. But I'm not a huge fan of Deluxe's to begin with, or any single 12" openback amp for that matter. I have heard some players do very well with them, but I wouldn't be happy with one personally. Although, my back would love a deluxe vs. a twin or super.

4. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

It sounds like it should be a miracle, but the difference between 80w and 40w isn't a great difference in amplitude. I think what would make the difference is adding less efficient speakers to the mix. If anyone has experience with the Weber Signature 12B's or other inefficient speakers, I'm all ears. I'm looking at the 12B's because I think they were in another twin that I did some playing on that was much lower volume. And when reading about them, I seem to remember comments about them being pretty smooth for a ceramic, a bit dark, and inefficient. That sounds like what my twin could use + the experience of a previous amp with speakers that fit that description. But I don't know a ton about what other options are out there. I have just had good experiences with Weber speakers in general over the years, except for this 1230 that I have. It's a good speaker, but it's just not my thing. I think it isn't best suited for classic type tones.

I think where pulling 2 power tubes makes the biggest difference isn't so much in volume but in headroom. It's still a loud amp when running 2 power tubes, but it will get pretty dang crunchy with 2 power tubes, whereas with 4, it seems to not want to do it as easy without taking your head off.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  5. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I've never tried one but I have heard the Eminence Maverick speaker can work really well for what you are trying to do, and allow you to still crank it up when you want more headroom.

Much like MV, these things usually work best if you don't crank them back too far. Attenuate a little bit and the amp still sounds the same more or less. Attenuate a lot and while it may
    work for bedroom messing around, it won't sound quite the same as if you open it back up a bit more...

upload_2019-12-6_16-2-26.png

6. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

trxx,

I'm sorry that I'm coming late to the show, and maybe you articulated it in one of the responses, but I have a question that comes immediately to mind whenever a friend or internet poster is looking for a new amp and a better sound;

What are your goals for using the new, improved amp?

In other words, do you play guitar around the house by yourself,
    hang out and jam with good buddies,
    do some occasional open-mic events,
    or do you gig regularly with a band?

In my mind, the acquisition of a fairly costly guitar amplifier is closely-tied to the expected outcome and anticipated utilization.
    (and most advice will come in a variety of flavors depending upon that usage)

Thanks in advance, good sir.

:)

7. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Fort Smith NWT is right along the 60th parallel in northern Canada. I can't imagine there are many amps for sale that would interest you up there. That's why I was curious.

8. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Sparky, that is definitely worth considering. I have done mostly home playing over the last couple of years. But I would really like to get back out and playing in the not so distant future. 30w to 50w amps (with the help of an attenuator where needed) seems ideal to me for playing both indoors/outdoors these days. When I was a kid I ran a 100 watt half stack, but my taste has improved since then. :p I have also owned amps at all ranges of power from 5w to 100w. And I have even played through a 200w Hiwatt, god bless that deafening beast.

9. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Save up $400 or so. Sell th both; should be able to clear $1000 for the pair. Then pick up a used David Allen built Allen Encore. It's a tweaked, pimped out Vibrolux type amp, but with the Raw control and great Master vol, can rock. Maybe not full on Marshall but more than most BF/SF Fenders, and st usuable volumes.

10. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Ha ha ha, good stuff.
    Sounds like you are every bit the gear junkie that I am, and that which most of us here are.

We had this discussion in another thread recently, but wattage and Volume are rarely a consideration for me, since we tend to mic all the amps anyway, and run the signal to the PA.

At our last gig in September, I literally played the entire day thru a small (locally hand-built) 15 watt clone of the classic Marshall 15, with a Shure 57 pumping it out to the mains.
    The outdoor sports festival crowd simply heard a loud and compelling wall of sound, and it's doubtful most of them knew or cared what amp I was using.

The other band members, the ones we traded sets with all day?
    Oh yeah.
    They paid attention to such things, and we ended up trying out each other's rigs at one point or another.

:)

11. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Lower powered amps could be a nice option, if the places you play tend to have a nice sound system, or you are hauling and setting up one yourself. But barring that (most bars I have been to, pun intended) the sound system is mediocre to crap. And there is the issue of small power and big power tube tonal differences. I think that smaller tubes tend to sound best in bigger arrays than 2 (4 el84's, for example). Of course that is a personal taste thing. But I am absolutely fine with 2 6L6's, EL34's. But 2 6V6's or EL84's just don't have enough girth and punch to my ears. They will get plenty loud for lots of places where bigger tubes could be too loud, but there definitely is a tonal tradeoff to my ears. And using an attenuator on bigger tubes works reasonably well, as long as it isn't used for more than knocking off more than a little amplitude.

12. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

That is the first I have heard of the Eminence FDM. It is a very cool concept. Don't know if I want to be the guinea pig though. Anyway, thanks for pointing it out.

13. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

So I think I have arrived at wanting to put alnico's in the twin. Those speakers in that lower volume twin that I mentioned previously had to be alnicos. They were smooth, dark'ish/warm, compressed nicely, with a loser bottom, and inefficient. They were Webers, green baskets, but I don't remember any more than that. So I guess the plan is to run with 2 power tubes, some (?) suitable pair of Weber alnicos, check the amp over to make sure everything is ok (been sitting a good while now), do some circuit changes, swap out the output transformer and choke, and check and adjust voltages as necessary.

The DSL50 will get a suitable 212 cab, likely with greenback style speakers from Weber (1225's). The 1230 that it is going through now will go to ebay.

14. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

I suggest you look into any one of three Marshall Studio Series and add a digital (or spring, if you like) reverb into the effects loop. There are quite a few great/authentic sounding digital verbs on the market, out there. A DSL20HR/CR or DSL40CR might also be worth a look.

The Studio Series encompasses the Studio Vintage, Studio Classic and Mini Silver Jubilee, in head or combo format, although the Vintage and Classic are currently only offered with a 10" speaker, while the Mini Jube has a 12".

Given that you already have and are experienced with attenuator use is a very good thing! At least if the attenuator is a good one!

Just Sayin'
    Gene

15. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like you are loyal to Weber. I like Eminence because I think they are as good as anyone but with better prices. I’ve had great luck with both ceramic and alnico offerings from them.

16. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

I ended up buying a couple of pairs of Jensen alnicos and ceramics. I'll report back after seeing how those go. The alnico's will be used with the twin after bringing the power down. The ceramics will be used with the dsl, but I will either need another pair to go with them or try running them with the alnico's.

17. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

I got a few of the speakers in. A Jensen P12Q. Sounds a bit overly tight and bright. It might need a little beating in. A couple of C12R's. These things look fine, but are trashed functionally, described as tested and working. No way I would connect either to an amp. One is rubbing. The other doesn't even have any resonance to the cone when tapping it and is rubbing badly. I'll see what I can work out on those. Maybe they are worth reconing. Still waiting on a second P12Q.

18. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Got the other P12Q in. I'll get it in the amp tomorrow and see what it sounds like. But unexpectedly, along came a Super Reverb, which has me thinking on how useful the Twin might be made to be for another role at this point. The Super will well cover what I was doing with both the Twin and DSL-50, and the DSL-50 is definitely leaving. One thought was having a jumpered Bassman sort of amp for the harder rockin stuff to complement the Super.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  19. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

My answer to a Vibrolux Reverb: 71 Deluxe Reverb with 2x10 baffle JBL D110Fs installed, powered by 6L6s, SS rectifier. Does a great job with the cleans, and if cranked ,the DR transformers saturate and the JBLs really sing. 20190104_001049_001.jpg 20190103_223839.jpg

trxx likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.