1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Amp cycling...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by LesTele, Apr 13, 2021.

1. LesTele

LesTele Tele-Meister

Hi Guys,

I apologize if this is a bit of a newbie question but this is one thing I was never quite sure about. Having multiple tube amps, there are some I use more regularly than the others.

For the tube amps I don’t play on a regular basis, should I be turning them on standby periodically? In other words, is it detrimental to the amp in not playing them for extended periods of time?

I know it’s generally bad for a car to not be driven for great periods of time. Are tube amps similar in this aspect? Will the caps, tubes, transformers degrade in any way for not being turned on for extended periods? If so, how frequently should one generally be cycling tube amps?

thanks!

2. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

A good idea to turn them on for a few minutes once a month- helps with the longevity of the capacitors.

LesTele, Wallaby and uriah1 like this.
  3. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

I didn't know that @Uncle Daddy , thanks for the tip!

It sounds a bit like maintaining the charge in caps is better than letting them drain and be empty?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.