Amp corners

MrCoolGuy

Tele-Afflicted
Hello everyone.
I'm making a speaker cabinet and amp head for someone... so far they are looking pretty cool (I will post pics when done... want to surprise the owner.).
The hardware I'm using (bolts and side handles) are a pewter color metal. I would like to find some corner protectors that match, but all I can find is chrome (stainless), black and gold. Just the basic ones you always see. Does anyone know where to find any alternative? Thank you.

MrCoolGuy

Tele-Afflicted
Have you checked Mojotone?
Yes, sir. Thanks, but they just have the same ones everyone else does. I found some on a furniture website that look how I want, but they are too small. Then I found a lot of decorative corners that are very cool with engravings and such. But they are for pointed corners, not rounded over edges/ corners.

5595bassman

Tele-Holic
Yes, sir. Thanks, but they just have the same ones everyone else does. I found some on a furniture website that look how I want, but they are too small. Then I found a lot of decorative corners that are very cool with engravings and such. But they are for pointed corners, not rounded over edges/ corners.

Some black one have a flat finish that can be painted.

Powdog

Tele-Holic
1665209899125.jpeg

You can buy leather corners from Mesa Boogie, come in a few colors. These are the brown ones.

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
If you cover the amp during transport, it limits the opportunity for the leather to be scraped. Unlike metal corners, the leather is flexible enough not to dent, if struck. I’d tell you to look at used Mesa to get an idea of how they wear, but non-touring Mesa owners (including myself here) tend to baby their amps.

MrCoolGuy

Tele-Afflicted
If you cover the amp during transport, it limits the opportunity for the leather to be scraped. Unlike metal corners, the leather is flexible enough not to dent, if struck. I’d tell you to look at used Mesa to get an idea of how they wear, but non-touring Mesa owners (including myself here) tend to baby their amps.
Yay, you're right! I'm sure they/ you do. Lol

chas.wahl

Tele-Holic
Presuming that the painted corners you can buy are steel: you could buy some, strip off the paint, and then use a phosphoric acid treatment on them, which will turn them a matte dark gray. This is a conversion process widely used to remove rust and scale from steel surfaces. Here's a video giving you an idea of the process and the resulting color on steel:

Depending on the use/abuse the corners get, they might get scarred up a bit exposing the brighter steel underneath, and they might also rust if exposed to water, salt, etc. Phosphoric acid is generally used as prep for something that's going to be painted, as the video suggests, but it does leave an inhibitive layer on the steel surface that's worth something.

MrCoolGuy

Tele-Afflicted
Presuming that the painted corners you can buy are steel: you could buy some, strip off the paint, and then use a phosphoric acid treatment on them, which will turn them a matte dark gray. This is a conversion process widely used to remove rust and scale from steel surfaces. Here's a video giving you an idea of the process and the resulting color on steel:

Depending on the use/abuse the corners get, they might get scarred up a bit exposing the brighter steel underneath, and they might also rust if exposed to water, salt, etc. Phosphoric acid is generally used as prep for something that's going to be painted, as the video suggests, but it does leave an inhibitive layer on the steel surface that's worth something.

That's cool... I actually thought about oxidizing some metal corners a little too make them look old. I was going to use a few drops of the ferric chloride I use to etch circuit boards, but I'm sure phosphoric acid works equally or better.