1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Amp Conundrum

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by RPtele64, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Holic

'Amp Conundrum'.

Well, that's your band name right there.

2. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

I recommend a Fender '65 Princeton Reverb "blackface" reissue. It's 15 watts and is loud enough for bar gigs. The tone of Blackface amps like these just seem to be made for Teles and Strats! It has an awesome sounding tube tremelo and great sounding spring reverb tank. The Princeton, like all blackfaces is also very good with pedals. At 34 lbs. it's not too heavy. According to Fender, it's "assembled" in the USA.

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/guitar-amplifiers/vintage-pro-tube/65-princeton-reverb/2172000000.html

Princeton.jpg

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  3. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Well I would have to say I have the AC10 and true its top boost only I have yet to miss the other channel hands down that would be my desert island amp along with my with one of my Teles

4. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

It sounds like the OP was looking for more of a traditional style amp. The Helix is really more of a multi-effects floor processor with a display screen. A lot of menu diving instead of turning knobs for volume, tone and reverb.

northernguitar likes this.
  5. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

Every electric guitarist should have at least one eq pedal. Once you start using one, you realize just how useful they are, and how much more flexibility you get over just using the guitar’s tone knob.

Maguchi and northernguitar like this.
  6. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

As several people have already suggested, an EQ pedal may cheaply and easily get you the sound you like. The Behringer EQ-700 pedal at $25 is an inexpensive clone of the Boss GE-7 EQ pedal. By turning up the level slider on these EQ pedals, they can do dual duty as a clean boost!

https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0350

cyclopean likes this.
  7. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Tele-Meister

It's not too much menu diving really.. When you touch the foot switch, it pulls up the parameters for that one item. Then you turn actual knobs just like an amp or pedal.
    The user interface is very streamlined and intuitive.

8. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

Everybody does it their own way, but I like matching the guitar and amp first. If those two things sound good together then pedals are easy to start rotating in.

9. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

This^

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  10. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

Cool, a lot of people really seem to like Line 6's stuff. The Helix maybe more at home in, and more in line with the thread "Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps" instead of here in "Amp Central Station."

11. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

+1 on the eq for the National.

And while you are buying it, I strongly urge you to get the AC10 if you like the top boost sound. Honestly, it sounded better to me than any other small amp in the store. It's pretty light (contrary to what was posted, the AC15 is quite a lot heavier). It sounds great at low or high volume.

And, while it's true the AC10 doesn't get along with some pedals, it sounds great with plenty. I have played maybe 100 pedals through this amp that sounded awesome. In fact, this is my pedalboard for my AC10. Just PM me if you have any questions.

IMG_20210405_162831.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.