Amp choice through PA help

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by pjohnny, Feb 17, 2020.

1. pjohnny

pjohnny Tele-Meister

I play weekly at my church where we use in-ear monitors and keep the stage volume low. We play a variety of stuff in the rock, indie, americana, roots styles. It's fun!

I respect the sound guy who has been running sound for more that 40 years. He's an audiophile purist and is always just a bit critical of my sound. He'd like to see me play a tube amp and REALLY likes Mesa Boogie stuff.

I currently run a quilter 101 into a iso-cab backstage with a eminence texas heat in a solid pine cabinet. It sound fine and really saves my back lugging a heavy amp in and out every week. I run a couple of dirt pedals, a trem, reverb and a parametric eq if I can't quite tweak the sound to taste for the week. I mostly play clean or dirty (single or stacked pedals).

Guitars are a PRS Mira S2, Mex Strat, Homebrew Tele mostly with some other stuff thrown in when I'm board.

At home I have a VHT special 6 ultra and Bugera 22 infinium that both sound great in certain circumstances but don't seem to take the pedals as well, are not as versatile nor portable as the quilter.
    Plus I've had some issues with the VHT cutting out at inopportune times...
    Oh, I also tried the Joyo American Sound pedal. Not a fan of that.

Option 1
    So, the sound guy is pushing tubes and really a Mesa Boogie head of some sort.
    How's that for versatility? I'm looking for a good clean platform for my pedals.

In addition I don't have $1000+ for a Mesa Head... without saving up... a lot... and selling all my other amps.
    Isn't Mesa stuff kinda more for high gain metal sounds?

Option 2
    I'm going to drag in my tube amps one of these days to try that for a set up. Any thoughts on making that sound good?

Option 3
    Then my brother (a major gearhead with many tube amps) tells me that the Stymon Iridium has been way better than his tube amps in a similar setting to what I'm playing.

Of course my sound guy considers digital and transistors to be vastly inferior to real tubes. "They all try to get back to tube tone - that's the gold standard - and none of them make it" "Tubes just sound better ALWAYS".

So convincing him will be tough. Can the Strymon Iridium do it?
    I sent him this:
    He's right in saying youtube comparisons can be unconvincing. :)

Well, that's the situation. Any ideas?
    Of course I can do whatever I want and the sound guy can grump at me every week and I'll just grin and bear it. Just wanted to reach out and see what other perspectives are out there.
    Thanks!

Junior59 likes this.
  2. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

He's not playing....I would say, here is my sound that I like.... Your job is to make it work.
    Sorry... Sound guys don't rule my tone!

3. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

The Iridium will get you the sounds in the video. It works for me. I’ve tried a bunch of stuff recently for headphone listening, and the Iridium is far and away the most accurate and best-sounding. I even like the Marshall sounds, and I am a die-hard Fender guy. I could gig with just the Iridium, using the Fender sound for rhythm, and foot switching to the Marshall overdrive for high-gain solos.

Another option I like is the Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb. It has a very nice Direct Out to the board, including two mic/speaker simulations, and an Output Power attenuator that works independently of the Direct Out. You can get whatever clean to dirty sound you like from the amp’s internal speaker at any volume you need. You can also run without any speaker at all, which sounds like what you’d want with in-ears and a silent stage.

All this stuff sounded great with my pedals with minimal tweaking. Just like my tube Deluxe Reverbs. If anything the pedals sounded better with the Iridium.

Junior59 and pjohnny like this.
  4. pjohnny

pjohnny Tele-Meister

Thanks, that helps! I'll check into the tone master while I research.

Junior59 likes this.
  5. pjohnny

pjohnny Tele-Meister

Yup, sounds good to me

nojazzhere, Junior59 and ce24 like this.
  6. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted

I think sound guy should go out and buy whatever he thinks is best and let you use it. If Mesa had the ultimate solution then everyone would have one. The Strymon might be a great solution, the reviews are very positive. I would like it better if it had xlr outputs like the Atomic unit does.

7. Junior59

Junior59 TDPRI Member

For shows with pro sound reinforcement, I’ve used a Blackface Champ & Tubescreamer, many times.

pjohnny likes this.
  8. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

I'd probably have a rude comment for him after a while.

I'd let him buy me whatever he thinks will sound best. If he's not willing to do that then he probably needs to concentrate on twisting his knob.

Boil, Frodebro, Junior59 and 4 others like this.
  9. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

It's none of his business what you play. As long as you respect the levels, you do what you want.

10. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

As others have said...if he wants specific equipment then he should provide it.... If bet he wouldn't say much after you point that out.

11. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

I’d give the strymon a go.
    Face it the tube vibe is great but if your cabs off stage in an isobox what’s the point of lugging it or a Mesa in to the gig.
    Btw, I attended a recent concert with some big acts, those with big amps on stage sounded meh.

12. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

I'm a mesa fan and I reckon you're better off having what already works for you, which is the rig you already play through.

Sure, people can have preferences, but unless that sound guy is buying the amp, he can suck eggs.

13. pjohnny

pjohnny Tele-Meister

Yeqh, I've been lobbying for him to just lay down the cash for what he loves at let me at least try it! :)

Junior59 likes this.
  14. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Get a old Boogie Vtwin pedal and a DI box.

perttime, Junior59 and pjohnny like this.
  15. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

Four years ago I went from using a mic'd deluxe reverb at low stage volume to a Helix in a wedding/corporate event band where we play through in-ears. There has been no looking back.

The thing about playing through in-ears at low stage volume is that you aren't hearing the 3D ambiance of your cranked tube amp, cab and speakers filling the room in all its glory, bouncing off the walls, and vibrating your strings. Rather, you are hearing a 2D recreation of that sound that has gone through the mic, through the board, through the wireless transmitter and finally to your in ears. The 2D rendition is a studio sound, a far cry from the live tube amp sound.

And that is where modelers shine.

When playing a club gig, I wouldn't be caught dead using my Helix over a cranked tube amp. A cranked tube amp is so much more satisfying and a Helix through monitors doesn't compare. However, playing through in ears and only hearing what comes through the mic, I'll take the Helix every time. Honestly, I'd probably struggle to tell the difference between a tube amp and Helix on a blindfold test of the recorded sounds.

The modeler gives you consistency (removing mic placement, amp volume, tube health variables) and way more tonal options, plus just about any effects combo you would want, all easily switchable. And it's a single piece of gear to lug, rather than amp and pedal board etc. Sound men love it because there is no stage volume so they get to have more control over the mix.

Through in ears the Helix sounds great. There are many other options. I'd recommend a modeler for your purposes.

16. pjohnny

pjohnny Tele-Meister

Interesting... have you tried that pairing? From what I've read about the Vtwin it wasn't intended for that sort of application.
    I'd think you'd need a cab clone too...

Junior59 likes this.
  17. pjohnny

pjohnny Tele-Meister

Yeah, that matches up with a lot of what I've read/heard.
    These guys make the same argument at this point in the video
    I love my tubes at nice and loud volumes but if I can get that same sound (more consistently) in a tiny box that I'll be hearing through in-ears anyway...
    I should try and find someone who has one I can borrow.

Junior59 likes this.
  18. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

no but different pairings when you have to go to mixer. I was getting at. There are a lot more amp simulation stomps that hsve xlr built in already no need for di

pjohnny and Junior59 like this.
  19. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Holic

Roll in with a Marshall half stack and let us know what he has to say.

pjohnny and Junior59 like this.
  20. Junior59

Junior59 TDPRI Member

:lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.