1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Amp as a Cab?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by FosterF, Dec 16, 2012.

1. FosterF

FosterF Tele-Meister

Okay, so I have a Vox AC15c1 but someone offered to trade me something else for their Handwired Vox AC15 head. I REALLY want to, but I don't have a cab at the moment.. :/

So, is there anyway I can use my Vox combo as a cabinet? Wire in another jack (I'm good with soldering and tinkering)? Use the extension cab jack?

Thanks bros.

2. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Don't see why not as long as the impedance is correct

3. D.S.John

D.S.John Tele-Meister

Yes you can by wiring your speaker onto a jack and plugging your head into that. Probably a top tip remove the fuse and tape it somewhere in your amp to stop it being turned on accidentally. I assume your speaker is 8 ohms so as long as you select the 8 ohms on the back of your head bingo.

4. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sure you can, and there are a couple of different ways to get there. The easiest way would be to make a cable that has spade connectors on one end (to attach directly to the speaker), and a 1/4" phone plug on the other to plug into the speaker out of the head.

The most important thing to remember is that you need to have the speaker attached ONLY to the combo or the head, you cannot have both the combo amp and head plugged into the speaker at the same time. Even if the amp not being used is turned off, with everything connected together you are at a serious risk of blowing something up.

5. D_Schief

D_Schief Tele-Holic

I use a 1-12" combo amp as an extension cabinet all of the time. That way, I also have a spare amp if I need it. I'm not familiar with the back of the Vox AC15c1, but all I do is connect a speaker cable of whatever length I need (I like to space the two combos across the stage) from the "active" amp's extension speaker out jack to the male plug connected to the "spare" combo's speaker using a short two-female-adapter.

Attached Files:

6. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

The AC15 has extension speaker sockets.
    An external speaker and an extension cab
    I gather the "external speaker" shuts off the internal one.

Many/most amps have an internal speaker jack and plug for the speaker(s) which is pulled to connect it to another impedance load tap when using an ext cab as well.
    But the AC15 is an almost-closed-back combo, you can't get your hands in there easily to get at the speaker. I believe it has a single fixed output impedance - hence the internal is hard wired in.
    Add a jack and put a plug on the internal speaker, on a longer wire to reach your new head. The wire is mains twin-flex, not co-ax.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.