1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Amp Advice

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by xjazzy, Dec 28, 2013.

1. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

I'm GASing hard for a Princeton Reverb (PR) and the new '68 Custom looks like the perfect fit (unfortunately I can't try it out) but, I have a DRRI already that became my main amp after I needed to downsize from head+cab (65Amps London Pro) cause it took too much space on transport.
    I also have a Vox Pathfinder for that small portable all around sound but I prefer the blackface sound for almost everything I play.

The Princeton takes less space, less weight and less volume. 3 things I would appreciate but, my favorite rig, that I only play at home because of the volume and the space it takes, is the DRRI and London Pro together.

So, would the DRRI and the PR be too much of the same flavor?
    Would the PR fit on the DRRI shoes so I could get rid of it to finance the PR?

I reharsal every week and play almost everyday but I only gig on the summer (10 to 20 gigs in total) and I feel one more amp is one too many but, I'm afraid I like the DRRI too much to let it go! I just wish it was lighter and smaller... just like the Princeton!

2. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You might take a look at the Allen Sweet Spot. It's essentially a "blueprinted" Princeton with some nice added features like the RAW control, bias test terminals on the back panel, and transformers that can handle 6L6 tubes as well as 6V6's.

I have an Emi L'il Texas in mine, so the handle weight is under 30 pounds.

I had a DRRI when I built the Sweet Spot and while I never cranked either one, I know that the Sweet Spot is as loud as the DRRI.

To get distortion at home play levels, you would need a pedal or an attenuator.

If you're not in a hurry, Allen Amps seem to sell at pretty reasonable prices on Ebay.

3. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

You've already listed the advantages of the Princeton... I would want one with a 12" speaker.
    I don't think you need both amps.

4. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

Maybe the Vintage Sound 15. Based on the Priinceton Reverb AA1164, it has a middle control (so not just bass and treble), a dwell (so there 's 2 controls for the reverb), and it comes with a 12" (a Warehouse Sound spesker, and it's great).

5. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the input.

Unfortunately, here in Europe we don't have too much options.

6. texasdw

texasdw TDPRI Member

I recently had my DRRI in the shop for a bad tube. I bought a Princeton in the meantime so I'd have something to play at home. The sound is definitely different...different character, and the reverb has a different quality - much more saturated on the Princeton. And of course, there's no tremolo on the DRRI so the Princeton has that covered if you're into that. The Princeton is a lot more lightweight.

Bottom line, they cover different ground. Sound different. I don't feel bad about owning both.

7. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There is on mine (DRRI), and every other one I have ever seen. ;)

8. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Ah me, shoulda kept that 65 Amps London Pro and bought a bigger car. ;)

9. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

:)

It's a great amp and my car is big enough but, we're 11 elements on our band and the drummer thinks he needs a big drum set.
    We need to fit everything on our cars so, it doesn't leave too much space.
    I tried to convince the drummer to downsize but it didn't work and I'm happy with the tone I get from the DRRI.

texasdw, that lightweight thing is good.
    Also, I like to keep my stage volume low, if the PR saturates more I think it would fit even better.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.