1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

AMP ADVICE

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by ame1979, Oct 14, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Meister

Agreed, avoid amps with EL84 power tubes. To my ears they're too chimey, trebly and thin, and if you try to roll back the treble, they sound dull.

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I'm just saying per his "I avoided mentioning the the Fender Blues Deluxe and Blues Junior as I am not a fan of their sound ".
    I do like some EL84 amps, but yeah, they have that signature sound, most all of them. Loved my Z Carmen Ghia, but it still sounds like an EL84 amp.

3. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic

I had the opportunity to jam with some guys and hear someone else play through a SS Fender Champion 40. He made it sound fantastic. Closed back 12" speaker, serviceable effects, plenty fat and loud, weighs less than my SCXD.
    On the downside, no FX loop or line out.
    I have always used tube amps, like, always, but I want one of those.
    Also want a 10" JBL for my SCXD.

4. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic

I failed to mention, on my previous post, that the gentleman who was using the Champion bragged on it and he was accustomed to a more expensive level of tube amp.
    Another downside: no extension speaker jack.
    On the plus side: $200 new.

5. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

The only way to be happy is play a few amps in the range you're looking at.

I'm pretty sure that Warren Haynes was playing a Marshall when I saw Govrnt Mule in the middle 2000s at the Newport. I dont remember what Rich Robinson was playing through when I saw the Black Crowes. Something boutique-y. 65? Matchless? Cant remember.

But Marshall sounding stuff will get you on the track. Specifically, you're in a price range with plenty of good sounding stuff:
    Marshall Origin 20, Ibanez TSA15, Supro BK12, Fender Excelsior, Peavey Delta Blues 2×10, Bassbreaker 18/30, B-52 AT100, AC15, theres alot.
    But, you're talking about liking the sounds of 2 specific blues-rock guys, and closer to that sound starts at the $600-$700 range. The best sounding Black Crowes covers I ever pulled off was through my 1968 AB165 Bassman.
    They run about $650 for the head now. The amps in that range (used, mostly) are:
    PRRI, SF Bassman, SF Showman, SF Bantam, Orange combos, Fender "59 bassman reissue "(spoiler, it's the best 90s fender new creation, but not a reissue.....), EHX mig50, you get the idea.

Getting into a store to test amps would be helpful. One of the bigger (50w maybe?) Jet City amps sounded pretty good, the 20w one didn't sound bad, just less distinctive.

Have fun

6. Laxy picker

Laxy picker TDPRI Member

For the weight, small footprint and maintenance issues is why I went with a ss boss katana 50. Its 27 pounds. I did swap the stock speaker for a Jenson mod 70. It's a great little gigging amp. Loud enough and load in/load out is one trip. Not my fav amp I've ever owned but a great solution for my needs.

7. DonaldRobidoux

DonaldRobidoux TDPRI Member

I have a Boss Katana 50w. Nice amp for the price but far from "will sound fantastic".
    I'm in same position as OP and I think a will try the combination of: a Fender Blues Jr IV and a Tech21 Flyrig RK5. Will sound good clean, will sound good and modern with the OMG distortion and will sound good at home/low volume by enabling the Sansamp in the RK5 to compensate for the lost of the power tube saturation. Don't know OP if you like Ritchie Kotzen but get a look on youtube on the many videos he made using the RK5 (he's also using one, now two, playing live).

8. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I know tone is 100% subjective, but to my ear the Katana doesn't have that boxy tone the BJr is known for. The Fly Rig is a great pedal; I use one when I play out.

9. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

Get an orange tiny terror combo and a reverb pedal.

ame1979 likes this.
  10. Fotheringport

Fotheringport TDPRI Member

https://guitar.com/review/amplifier/review-award-session-5e3-extra-22/

ame1979 likes this.
  11. JWH7

JWH7 Tele-Meister

Dude for $399 you can get a 30watt all tube amp head from monoprice. with the money you save buy a good 12ax7 (if you need to) and swapp out the pre amp V1 tube. it weighs half of your Crate amp

ame1979 likes this.
  12. JWH7

JWH7 Tele-Meister

I have 2 monoprice 30watt amp heads. I disguised mine to look Cool but these amps rock. great bedroom amp and gig if we ever can gig again. the first one i bought was $399. then monoprice out of the blue sent me an email and said i could buy a second one at $299. I said WTF hell yes.

Attached Files:

ame1979 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.