1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

AMP ADVICE

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by ame1979, Oct 14, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

I'm looking at smaller Marshall's right now myself and a DSL15 head and 1x12" cab sounds about perfect for you

New, this head is at the top of your budget but if you find a used one, you should be able to get a cab too. Heck, I'd buy this head and a cheap cab for now and save up. Just what I'd do, this is a serious amp.

ame1979 likes this.
  2. dbamps

dbamps TDPRI Member

Make a pine cabinet for your Crate, and put in 2 Neo speakers. Done

Maguchi and Commodore 64 like this.
  3. Deed

Deed TDPRI Member

Used to have the same issue with big amps... got myself a used Laney VC-15R, great amp for home use, band jammings and also gigging @ small venues.

ame1979 likes this.
  4. ame1979

ame1979 TDPRI Member

I have been considering that one as well.

5. bnwitt

bnwitt TDPRI Member

As an amp builder and tech since 1994 I cannot agree with your build quality analysis of the Crate Palomino line. Tube sockets mounted directly to the PCB and low/high current circuit paths running too close to each other and producing audible artifacts is not what I would call "second to none" build quality. I have had so many Palominos on my bench it's not funny.

I know you only want to spend $500 so you are probably locked into a mass production PCB type amp with those audible short comings. That being said, you owe it to yourself to go play some hand wired turret or eyelet board non PCB tube amplifiers so you can hear the sonic purity of guitar tone without such audible artifacts. The amps I would suggest would be a hand wired Fender Blackface Deluxe Reverb (BFDR) and A hand wired Vox AC 15.

One of the most revealing A/B comparisons I have ever witnessed was when I built a Fender 5F6-A Tweed Bassman for a player who had been playing a Fender Reissue of that same amp. The horrible things the modern Fender company did to Leo's work of art Bassman build of that circuit were sinful. There were so many nasty audible artifacts in the reissue next to the pure clean tone of the original layout and construction it was grating. The same goes for the two Fender Amps you mentioned. Control pots and input jacks mounted to the PC board, wires bundled which should be separated, cheap crap Chinese components and a layout that makes it almost impossible to work on the amp. Just horrible.

I hear you saying you don't want to spend a lot of money but you owe it to yourself to play some real quality hand built amplifiers so you know what quality sounds like. Then you can check out lots of cheap amps to see if that is what you really want to buy or if you want to save up more money. The Vox AC15HW1X Hand wired 1X12 with a Celestion Blue speaker is a great amp and can be had with monthly payments on several web seller sites. If you can find a hand wired BFDR used That is a great amp and with the right effects pedals can do any genre. It isn't the most recorded amplifier in history for no reason.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  6. jamoco

jamoco TDPRI Member

If you like your Palamino so much, maybe you should consider splitting the head and cabinet. There are people out there who could build a custom head enclosure and speaker cabinet enclosure. Mojotone comes to mind, but there are others. I use an AC30 head with a combination of cabinets depending on the gig. I also do this with my Tweaker 40 and Renegade (Egnater). Additionally, I had a custom head enclosure built for my '64 Deluxe Reverb (original) which I also use with various cabs. Doing this will distribute the weight a bit more, give you more versatility and options, all the while preserving the integrity of your gear. Just make sure you hang on to the original stuff.

7. borducks

borducks TDPRI Member

The AC10 sounds amazing. I had one but it topped out in band rehearsal, so I upped to an AC15 which is perfect. But heavy for its size.

A quick look at the Guitar Center used listings up to $500 shows a great variety of options for classic sounds:

- Blackstar HT40
    - Roland Blues Cube (SS but great sound)
    - Katana Artist 100 (versatile)
    - Boss Nextone Stage 40W
    (I'm listing good sounding solid state models b/c they're lighter, too)
    - Peavey Delta Blues 1x15 (excellent "classic" tones amp)
    - Vox AC15C1 (that's what I have. sounds amazing, but a bit heavy)

Anyway, you get the idea. If you plan to play with a group soon, I'd stay at 15W and up (50W+ for solid state) and a 12" for a combo.

There are so many good options these days. Good luck!

8. bigjohnbates

bigjohnbates TDPRI Member

Or consider trading down to a smaller Crate - like the Palomino 32? You could also try lighter speaker(s) as most of the weight is transformers, speaker magnets and wood ...

9. waynereed

waynereed TDPRI Member

I strongly 2nd the Fender Super Champ. I gig with 2 rigs because we cover a huge number of bands.
    My Vox rig, depending on the gig venue, is either my Vox AC30CC2 (71lbs!), or one of my Vox AC15C1 amps, about 51 pounds. Still beefy! I'm 71!! We do a ton of stuff, including a lot of SURF. For Shadows, etc., I use the Vox rig. Also use the Vox for my brown tones.

The other rig is my Fender USA Surf rig. Now I just said I use an AC30CC2. And that's LOUD! So what Fender do I use next to the Vox? A Fender Super Champ! 15wts, all tube! I run it through a MojoTone Lite 4x12 with Celestion Neodymium Creambacks. And it keeps up with the Vox with no issues! Loud and as clean (or dirty, it's tubes!) as I want. Plus I use a real reverb tank with the rig. SURF CITY!

I started with 3 Super Champ combos. 2 for a stereo guitar rig, and one for harp. And it sounded great! But just didn't move enough air! Studio and rehearsals, it was killer! Blues, Rock, Surf! Country. Fender sound all the way.

Long story short, switched to SC heads, 1st tried them through a Fendedr 1x12. Better. Then through a 2x10 custom cab. WAY BETTER! Absolutely Fender Twin sound in a super light package! THEN . . . I came across a good deal on the MojoTone Lite. HOLY SMOKE! I recently did an outside gig at a small park. I couldn't get the SC past 3, it was too loud! 43 pounds for the 4x12! Or I use a 2x10 for smaller venues. About 20 pounds. And the head is about 12 pounds!!!

I suggest trying one out. If it's for the BR, get the combo. Great Fender sound and reverb, plus a dozen other effects. You can run 2 effects at a time, or 1. Built in amp sims. 30lbs. And you can run it into a different cab if you want. It also takes pedals really well!

You can find them used for $150/$200.

stevemc likes this.
  10. ame1979

ame1979 TDPRI Member

YES.

11. ame1979

ame1979 TDPRI Member

My apologies. The amp is 62lbs

12. turfdoc

turfdoc TDPRI Member

Peavey Classic 30, if all tube vintage style. Great on stage , perfect for home.

ame1979 likes this.
  13. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I got one of these Laneys about 4 years ago , I use it the same ways as Deed says . Really a great amp with the right tubes . I also have some of the other amps mentioned here , Blues Jr. , Jet City JCA22 , I have a Palomino V16 . I had a Vox AC10 but returned it , didn't have enough oomph for me . I got a Vox Night Train 15 after that , it and the Laney are my two faves . The Jet City seems louder than 20 watts , I used it in a gymnasium with a 1x15 cab and it was fantastic .

ame1979 and Deed like this.
  14. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

If you can find an American made C3o it should do the job for $300...
    I like the Fender Super Sonic 22 idea too ..... but they are pricey.

ame1979 likes this.
  15. mdpatsr

mdpatsr TDPRI Member

I was going to suggest the Fender Mustangs or the Deluxe Tone Master. Blues Jr can sound great, I would put sometime into playing through one.
    a modeling amp could do the trick, create whatever sounds you want.

ame1979 likes this.
  16. enorbet2

enorbet2 TDPRI Member

Why not build a head cab so you divide the weight up in two? That way you can always put it back to stock. You could even go one better and build a speaker cab but that's optional.

17. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Meister

The Marshall DSL20CR or DSL40CR is a great choice. I gigged with a DSL40 1x12" combo for years and it delivered the goods night after night and never let me down. I don't have that amp anymore, now I'm using a 2003 Peavey Delta Blues 30 watt 1x15" and it is a great gigging amp also. Not sure if the one on your list, the Peavey Classic 30 is as good or not. If you get a Peavey, get an early 2000s made in Mississippi, USA version. I've also played a Laney Cub 10 tube guitar combo (10 watt, 1x10") and it's a lightweight (18 lbs.), inexpensive amp with great sound (see link below). They go for about $420 new. If you play in a place where 10 watts is not enough, put a Shure SM57 mic in front of it ($80 used, $100 new). https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amp...0w-1x10-tube-guitar-combo-amp/l19239000001000

Peavey Delta Blues.jpg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    ame1979 likes this.
  18. Marblatx

Marblatx TDPRI Member

Dale Watson uses a Champion 40. 19 lbs.

19. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Torn rotator cuff, you say?

Get a Katana 50. It's a 1x12 and will do everything you need an amp to do and it will sound fantastic doing it. It will be reliable because it's ruggedly built. And it won't put you back in the hospital for round 2 of shoulder surgery because it's fairly lightweight.

ame1979 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.