1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

AMP ADVICE

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by ame1979, Oct 14, 2020.

Tags:
  1. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

If youre going for cheap and good tube amps, check out Monoprice. I have the 5 watter and it could almost replace my 5f1 at 99 bucks. The 15 watt version with reverb is around 300 new. Enough left over to try some speaker swaps.

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

For primarily low volume playing with the occasional need to keep up in a band situation (in that price range), my first choice would be a BOSS Katana. I had a chance to spend some time with one, and will probably wind up picking up one at some point just to have a lightweight grab & go that can get the job done when things get loud.

And I say that as somebody that has a bunch of tube amps, ranging from 15 watts up to 100.

Peegoo, Keep on Truckin and Chevalier like this.
  3. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

No. Here's an old link:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/crate-v1512t-15-watt-class-a-tube-combo-amp

4. Roman4405

Roman4405 Tele-Meister

I used to love my Classic 30, then it broke and cost me almost as much as it was worth to fix it. I like AC15’s but like previously stated, they’re pretty heavy.

Out of your list I’d probably go with a Blackstar HT20. I really like all the ones I’ve played, my HT5 was a great amp but not loud enough.

ame1979 likes this.
  5. ame1979

ame1979 TDPRI Member

Ye it is. Sort of.

Attached Files:

telemnemonics likes this.
  6. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

Imo if you’re a bedroom player and want a true tube sound, you don’t want to get anywhere close to 30 Watts. The #1 amp mistake non-gigging players make is getting way more amp than they need. To get a 30 watt amp properly cranked for good tube saturation, you’d be damn near blowing the windows out of your house. 30 Watts is LOUD. Forget the AC15 and get an AC10 is my opinion on your list.

I have a Fender Champ 57 (5 Watts) and can crank it to max and usually not get noise complaints from my wife, except late at night.

7. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Orange 35RT has been gigged by Jakedog (there are a couple of threads you can find in TDPRI about it).

Johann Segeborn youtube channel has a video showing "15 amps for the price of one boutique amp"

I'd dig out the links but I'm about to hop away for a while.

ame1979 and telemnemonics like this.
  8. Cpb2020

Cpb2020 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Maybe consider a Laney Cub 12r, which has a 15a setting and a <1a setting?

Roman4405 likes this.
  9. Roman4405

Roman4405 Tele-Meister

I’ve always been curious about them, never found one to test out though.

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

ame1979 likes this.
  11. Cpb2020

Cpb2020 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Not for heavy metal or cleans, but fairly versatile in between those. Think warm and British. And nice and compact.

Roman4405 likes this.
  12. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

AC15 is heavy, maybe an ac10? Bass breakers have been reported as having reliability issues but I can’t speak to those specifically. Jet City...just don’t like the sound. Black stars are cool. Tweakers are cool. Super champ is a great option on a budget. Princetons are also a great option. Also consider just going direct to the PA with a nice amp sim.

13. FenderGuy53

^^^ THIS ^^^

Depending upon your taste, the 30-watt, Roland Blues Cube Hot comes in 3 "flavors":

6L6 (Fender Bassman Tweed)
    EL84 (Vox AC30), or
    KT66 (Marshall)

Roland BCH is the perfect size/weight/sound if you're looking for great sound in a manageable size/weight package.

Keep on Truckin likes this.
  14. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

I don't own one but I did try the Fender Super Champ a few years back and thought it was good for practice/bedroom/rehearsal purposes. Good clean tone and has some good additional features too. I played through one at a local jam too and it was in my comfort zone, as one of my go-to amps is a PRRI.

I briefly owned a Blackstar HT-1, which is good for bedroom playing (I sometimes used to enjoy putting on a concert DVD and playing along to it with that amp) but it's not very loud and a little limited feature-wise, IMO.

15. FenderGuy53

The V1512 and V1512T were originally Made in USA, by Saint Louis Music (SLM). Thereafter, production moved to Vietnam, IIRC.

16. telemnemonics

Wow, the new Korg marketing dept hires who never actually touched a guitar decided to study up on internet forum chat!

While the idea that power tubes have a distinct sonic character is generally a myth, and the suggestion that after decades of reliable performance, Roland amps need toobz names to compete; all of that is pretty funny.

But here I think it's worth looking at the cliche idea that the amps sonic character comes from the power tubes and applying that to suggestions the OP buy a Vox amp to play Govt Mule, ABB and Black Crowes.

While you can build an el34 powered Vox that sounds like a Vox and not like a Marshall, or you can build an el84 Marshall that sounds like a Marshall and not like a Vox; The bands the OP wants to play do not really have Voxy guitar sounds or use Vox amps.
    Marshall used el84 in the old 18w and 20w amps, and still uses el84 in the various 40w amps.
    Vox actually used el34 in some amps too, but the Vox circuit made them Voxy sounding

Those are primarily Tweed Fender and vintage Marshall type sounds.
    Not Voxy amps by any stretch.
    And not BF Fender sounds either, so not PRRI/ DRRI, and not even Custom RRI with a tweedy channel.

We now may almost universally consider all amps as "clean pedal platforms", but there is just no good reason to start with an amp that is not what you want to sound like. Even if there are pedals that get it sorta close.
    Sure, pedals can do alot tomakeone amp sound like another amp, but if another amp is what you want, start closer to your goal, rather than choosing an amp that's sonically unlike the sound you want to get to.
    Much of an amps sound is in the envelope.
    Big Tweeds and old Marshalls like ABB, Govt Mule and Black Crowes more often use/ used, generally have a fairly stiff power section, but not too stiff. Vox AC amps have a squishy power section, and no matter how much eq and grind you send the preamp, the power section will never do what a Tweed Bassman, Tweed Twin, or JMP Marshall does.
    Not that audiences can tell, but we buy amps for ourselves.

I actually think the internet suffers from a range of confirmation bias issues.
    We get told that you can't get good tube amp sound with a bigger amp turned down, but then get told that you can buy a range of pedals that will make your PRRI sound like a Marshall.

IMO/ IME both of those ideas are wrong!
    But they also oppose each other.
    Pedals can change an amps sound and make it sound more like a cranked amp without cranking up the amps volume.
    But pedals cannot add tightness and authority to a little loose squishy power section.
    If you want the sounds of bigger stiffer amps, start with an amp that can deliver a stiffer response.
    Plenty of pedals can add squish to an amp that's a little bigger and stiffer than required.

ame1979 likes this.
  17. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister

Not totally sure I understand the target since we like Soldano tone but also like the Palomino, which as far as I remember is pretty un-Soldano-like.

I don't feel real confident about most $500 (maybe sub $700-800 these days) tube amps, but recognize that preference might be kind of a luxury. I would respectfully suggest there's not always a ton of difference between $100 and $500 tube amps; You're generally looking at PCB, price-point components and Chinese transformers either way. Years ago I owned a SLM Ampeg that sounded good enough (though not especially Ampeggy) but was a pretty cheesy build and did have a couple gremlins as a result.

Given that I would aim either as low or as high as possible. On the cheap end I'd seriously consider the Monoprice amps that have already been suggested, or maybe a used VHT Special series. The $100 Monoprice is a fairly legit Champ. Haven't played the 15W amp but a lot of people like it. The VHTs aren't that much better in material quality but are much more repairable than average. You can find the Special 6 (a more legit Champ) for $200 all day. The 12/20 is very much a budget Deluxe if you can find one.

On the high end, $500 used does open up some better-quality options. It's insane what people are asking for SF Champs these days but you might still score a decent one at $500 if you can be patient. Also gets you into the cheapest Boogies and Riveras (F-30, F-50, Clubsters) which are PCB, but good quality PCB. They'll also be loud and may not solve your problem. Not a Marshall guy at all but my impression is that the DSL 5/20/40s are solid enough. It's a remote possibility you could find a RI Deluxe or Princeton as well, but probably not via the usual retail channels.

18. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

Used supersonic 22 should be in that price range and would be a very versatile amp for home and gigs.

19. telemnemonics

I agree that the Soldano confuses the otherwise easily understood request for amp types.
    I just considered it a little spice added to indicate a touch of more modern gain is cool, as opposed to negating all the more vintage style sounds the OP referenced.

I'm of a similar mind, I overall prefer vintage bigger Tweeds and four input non master Marshalls, but can also use a little modern high gain now and then.
    Soldano was really taking the vintage Marshall DNA and hot rodding it.
    I think he mentioned Warren Haynes sometimes using Soldano?
    Not familiar with the sounds he used that amp for, but that amp can make a variety of sounds, and I'd doubt Warren used it for anything like modern hard rock or metal.
    Could be wrong though!

We can then look at WTH does "hard rock and metal" guitar sound like?
    Taking a look at the origins we might ask what EVH, Randy Rhoads and Tony Iommi.
    Vintage Marshalls!
    Eddie was the only one who got his modern sounds from an uber vintage 1967 Plexi Marshall.
    Yet we think of that as modern Rock sound while maybe considering the list the OP gave us as more vintage rock sound.

IMO the OP is asking for either Marshall, Tweed Bassman, or Marshall.

black_doug and Drew617 like this.
  20. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister

Yeah, I think I agree with that. What I know of Haynes' tone is woolly and singing, also fairly consistent as far as I know, so Marshall can probably sub for Soldano. Although I'm not super immersed. My own suggestions probably also reflect what's on my radar, as a guy with a strong preference for Fender type amps, BF ones at that. Boogies will certainly get you some modern gain, but it'll have its own unique character.

The DSL series might be the most obvious/available of any options I proposed, then. If it matters, I've played a couple that came through here and felt they are tight sounding amps to me with lotsa NFB and stiff rectification. I think they'll do clean, even very nice clean if that's the tone and feel you're after, but I don't think there's anything "vintage" about it. So not a do-everything amp, but then I don't think any of the very good ones are.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.