1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

AMP ADVICE

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by ame1979, Oct 14, 2020.

Tags:
  1. ame1979

ame1979 TDPRI Member

Currently I own a Crate V50 Palomino 212 combo. I really like the sound of it and the build quality is second to none, but it is too damn big. It comes in a 58lbs and I have a torn rotator cuff.
    I am currently a just bedroom player that maybe joining a band soon. I have around $500 and I have and I am not sure what to buy. I would like to stay between 15 to 30 watts. I really Warren Haynes's Soldano SOL100 but that is clearly out of the question unless I want to put my family out on the street.

I am considering the following used amps that are in my price range:
    PRS Sonzera 20
    Jet City JCA5012C or JCA2112RC
    Egnator Tweaker 15
    Fender Bassbreaker 15
    Vox AC15C1
    Blackstar HT-20R MkII Valve Combo or Studio 20HT
    Marshall DSL20CR or DSL40CR
    Peavey Classic 30
    Kustom Defender 30

I avoided mentioning the the Fender Blues Deluxe and Blues Junior as I am not a fan of their sound despite their reputation and build quality

2. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I can't speak on most of these but the AC15 is a great amp, but it comes in at a whopping 48 pounds. I replaced it with my DIY Deluxe which is 28 pounds and my rotator cuffs thank me!

ame1979 and xtelesquirex like this.
  3. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Holic

Welcome. I’m pretty sure my DSL40cr weighs in at about 51 lbs.

4. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Well, if you're considering an AC15, then consider an AC10. It's pretty much half the weight as almost as loud.

Reality look after your body first. That 58lb amp will still weigh the same in 30 years time. Screw your body up now and it will still be screwed in 30 years.

5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Avoid the Classic 30 then, they aren't terribly different sounding. Actually, avoid EL84 based amps....

black_doug, Maguchi and JRapp like this.
  6. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Do You play mostly clean or overdriven? The AC15 is a heavyweight anything with Tubes that was designed over 40 years ago is going to be painful the next day. If I was doing it - no question - Used Super Champ. 15 Watts and some variety and will take an extension speaker if you're stuck in Texas too.
    That's what I'd get, a Super Champ.:D:D

nortally, 39martind18 and ame1979 like this.
  7. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Have one, rehoused in a finished raw PRRI cab, with a Weber F150 12 in speaker. Weight is around 30 lb. If you replace the stock speaker (a VERY good idea), a Jensen Neo will keep the weight around 25 lb, and sound great. Before I rehoused mine, I installed a JBL D110F in it, weight was 32-35 lb, but the sound was killer. _657.JPG Rehoused.

_561.JPG Original cab with JBL.

stevemc, ame1979 and nortally like this.
  8. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

What sort of music do you like playing? What sort of effects if any do you use? How much clean headroom do you need?

Amps like the Blues/Hotrod line and Chinese made Vox and Jet City amps are not dreadful, but are mainly made for entry sales. Not to say they can't be and aren't used to make good music. Even an AC15 is a big, loud amp. And - even in single speaker version it's over 40 lb.

The entry level amps from Crate, Fender, Marshall, Vox tend to be made with MDF boxes, lesser speakers and everything on PCBs which tends to make them a bit ordinary. They're heavy, yet a bit fragile and not really likely to live.

Do you have $500 plus your Crate? Or keeping your Crate and wanting to buy another amp?

yamatele likes this.
  9. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I had a Jet City 20 for a while. It was not a bad amp for 250 bucks. I would not pay a lot for a Jet City, though.

I had a DSL40. It was a good amp, but heavy.

+1 on the AC10 comment. I have one now, and it's my favorite. I got rid of everything else.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  10. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Orange Rocker Terror/Dual Terror second hand + a decent 1x12" or 2x10" ply cab with neo speakers. If you get gigging, there may be a backline cab you can plug in to, saving you hoiking your cab.
    Totally left field is the Hotone floor-amp range. Solid state can sound really good. They make one which combine Vox/Marshall flavours and one which is a fender tweed/Rectifier.
    Roland Blues Cubes may offer a solution for you too.

ame1979 likes this.
  11. sluglas

sluglas Tele-Meister

I assume you play music associated with Warren Haynes since you mentioned him.
    I would say go with a Peavey Classic 30 if you have to have tubes. It's a great workhorse of an amp and can be found used around $300 which would leave you enough cash to buy new tubes and perhaps an Eminence red,white and blues speaker.
    Or a Roland blues cube is also a very good amp if you don't mind solid state.

12. ame1979

ame1979 TDPRI Member

That is what I am ask for the Crate. I play a lot of Allman Brothers, Gov't Mule, Black Crowes

13. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

I would go with either a VOX AC15 or Peavey Classic 30. Both great amps.

kookaburra and ame1979 like this.
  14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

My feelings on amps after gettin' old:

Head and cab.
    15w is too close to not quite loud enough and 30w is well past that despite them being kinda similar volumes.

Bonus feeling:
    Orange makes nasty little screamers in almost every size shape and flavor that are better built than any or most in their general class. Got an AD30 and an OR15, and also a Soldano GTO two tube pedal that's supposed to be the dirty part of the SLO100.
    The OR15 gets similar sounds to the Soldano.
    The AD30 does not.

ame1979 likes this.
  15. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

If you loved your Crate V50 Palomino 212 combo, then look for a used Crate V1512T. The V1512T is a Made in the USA (St. Louis Music) Class A, 15-watt, all tube amp, with a 12" Tone Tubby speaker, that sounds great!

Did I say it sounds great?

I happened upon a NOS, still-in-the-box, V1512T, at Steve's Music, in New York, years ago.

ame1979 likes this.
  16. telemnemonics

So do youprefer the more vintage amp sounds from those bands?
    Or whatever modern amp sounds they might have used at times?
    If vintage then maybe look at some 18w Marshall TMB variants like the H&K Tubemeister.

Bassbreaker might do it but I haven't tried them and generally aim a little higher in build quality and price.
    Hobby/ kit built hand wired clone amps can be really good sound, build quality and value, more 18w TMB but also some Tweed clones like Super, Bandmaster, Pro.

17. ame1979

ame1979 TDPRI Member

I use a sugar riot, TV electronics mojo mojo, behringer noise gate and a knock off compressor. I know the jet city lack in headroom but I am not looking for a lot

18. telemnemonics

Is that from the white tolex VC (vintage club) series?
    Those are old now but maybe continued, I just stopped seeing them, and they were very good.

Reminds me that there are also lots of UK made smaller Laney heads and combos that do vintage nasty like the OP listed.

Of course along with the Bassbreaker there's the similar new old timey Marshall offerings, whatever those are called.
    Been meaning to try them and the BB but gotta lotta amps already...

19. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Meister

Are you looking for a bedroom amp to do double duty with a band?

ame1979 likes this.
  20. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I’d check out a new Fender GTX 50 Mustang modeling amp personally. 50w 1x12 that comes in at 19.5lb for $379.

mdpatsr and ame1979 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.