Amp advice please.

Cosmic Cowboy

Tele-Afflicted
You said you want a tweed deluxe. Then get a tweed deluxe. Sounds simple. When playing at whisper levels...play an acoustic...I don't know.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
The amps in this picture are not tubular - they're SS. But: They don't require an attenuator because they have a Wattage selector switch that takes them from household quiet "practice" or "bedroom" level to "stage" level delivering the exact same sound. Try that with a tube amp and you'll be explaining yourself to the neighbors and the cops.

Both deliver delicious Fender-esque tone (Quilter has 3 jacks for Tweed, Blonde, or Black) and both have useable gain and master volume as well. They sound GREAT or I wouldn't own them.

Plus they're about half the weight of tube amps, and not nearly as fragile or maintenance-intensive. And both can be had for around $500 - half what a tube amp emblazoned with "Fender" would go for.

And in the heat of battle during your solo in the third set at Rooster's Roadhouse on Saturday night, I guarantee you NOBODY but YOU will know whether you're running tubes or circuits. Unless sparks and smoke start seething out of the back of your broken tube amp ...
1657114505387.jpeg

Happy Hunting!

P.S. - Linda Lou sez "Hi!"

100LL

Tele-Meister
I have a Quilter as well, and I love it. But my tubes aren't going anywhere. There's just something about them.

68goldtop

Tele-Meister
Hi!
... Both deliver delicious Fender-esque tone (Quilter has 3 jacks for Tweed, Blonde, or Black)...
This made me chuggle ;)

Only recently I heard a young guy comment on how good the Fender Champ sounded that he had tried out.
He always thought they actually sound as lame as the Champ-"models" he played before ;)

cheers - 68.

JDB2

Tele-Afflicted
Hi!

This made me chuggle ;)

Only recently I heard a young guy comment on how good the Fender Champ sounded that he had tried out.
He always thought they actually sound as lame as the Champ-"models" he played before ;)

cheers - 68.

Just to be clear, Quilters are not modeling amps. They use analog circuits to approximate different amp voicings. This distinction often gets ignored in the “tube vs SS” debate. It makes a big difference, often for the better IMO.

I would +1 to at least consider the benefits of a good SS amp for low volumes (or high for that matter). I’m very impressed with the range of tones I get from my clean Quilter with some good pedals.

Dicky_Jess

TDPRI Member
I'd be very tempted to build a tweed Princeton with a 10" speaker. That, with the 1/10th power switch mod will take it down to .5w, and the treble knob would be handy to make up for the perceived loss of top end. Modulus amps do a kit that's not too pricey.
I've just looked at Modulus and found out that they are not far from where I live. I'll see if I can drop in and look sometime. I'd be happy to build my own I used to be an electronics engineer.

68goldtop

Tele-Meister
Hi!
Just to be clear, Quilters are not modeling amps. They use analog circuits to approximate different amp voicings...

I would +1 to at least consider the benefits of a good SS amp for low volumes (or high for that matter). I’m very impressed with the range of tones I get from my clean Quilter with some good pedals.
Sorry if my post was a bit mis-leading...
I´ve had my share of experiences with different ss-amps (1980´s until today) - and I found I prefer tube-amps ;)

On a side note...
The Quilter amps are not exactly cheap ($4-600?) - I find I can get a lot of nice tones from my tube-amps for that price, too ;)

cheers - 68.