Amp advice please.

Dicky_Jess

TDPRI Member
I have listened to a lot of Fender amps and I'm in love with the Fender "57 Custom Deluxe", I love it's brightness with my Tele. I've listened/tried most of the Fender amps, including the 57 Custom Champ and to my ears nothing comes close to the 57 Custom Deluxe in the Fender line up.

However I want an amp that can be attenuated to >1 watt for home practice and still give a bit of over drive. Do you guys/gals know of any tube amp that sounds like the 57 and can be attenuated for home practice. I don't need a lot of watts, the largest gig I'm ever likely to do is a pub, but I love that 57 sound.

68goldtop

Tele-Meister
Hi Dicky!
I have listened to a lot of Fender amps and I'm in love with the Fender "57 Custom Deluxe" ...
However I want an amp that can be attenuated to >1 watt for home practice and still give a bit of over drive...
I also use (and love) a ´57 Deluxe - and I simply use an attenuator when playing/recording around the house.
Works just fine for me (y)

Here is a clip with the amp I recorded at home - late at night with no complaints from the neighbors ;)

cheers - 68.

Dicky_Jess

TDPRI Member
If you like how that tweed deluxe sounds and want to bring the dbs down some I’d attenuate it. Weber Minimass to the rescue. Or a Dr. Z brake lite. That one is so small you can just screw it into the inside Of the cab.
Wow, thanks I didn't know about those (being a newbi) the Brake lite looks perfect. I'll start to save up my pennies for a 57 Custom.

Bob M

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I played through a handwired tweed Champ at a jam a couple of weeks ago. I thought that I had no amp needs. That Champ was awesome. Could dial in great stuff at low volume but kept up with a (subtle) drummer with ease. I’m thinking about it…

Uncle Daddy

Friend of Leo's
With the help of Fenderlover, I built the first 1/10th power mod which is now on Robrob's website, taking the 12watts or so in a 5e3 down to about 2w. In the real world that equates to about half volume, making it a lot more useable round the house, but still loud in a small room. Now, I've given up on trying to get power section distortion at low volumes, and just use use a pedal instead.

JamesAM

Tele-Holic
ill second the minimass recommendation - i use one with my 5e3 and it sounds great. ive got little kids who still take naps and its not a problem at all. does it sound perfect? no, it loses some high end, but the minimass has a tone switch to add some of the highs back in. pretty awesome for $150.

Uncle Daddy

Friend of Leo's
I'd be very tempted to build a tweed Princeton with a 10" speaker. That, with the 1/10th power switch mod will take it down to .5w, and the treble knob would be handy to make up for the perceived loss of top end. Modulus amps do a kit that's not too pricey.

68goldtop

Tele-Meister
Hi!
ill second the minimass recommendation - i use one with my 5e3 and it sounds great. ...
Yes, that´s what I mainly use as well - and I´m happy with it!
Never use the "treble boost", I just turn up the amp´s EQ if needed ;)

Another - much more reasonable - recommendation is this one:

I use it with my DRRI and it does just fine!

cheers - 68.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
While many players love an amp into a choked down attenuator, others hear it as choked down and do not like it.

The tube amp tech market has progressed A LOT since the attenuator concept appeared.

One limiting factor may be the overly vast market overwhelming shoppers.
If sticking with one brand name like Fender, we may not bother to try brands like Orange and even Marshall.

Power scaling and other terms for tube amps that lower to wattage in the middle of the output section are for many of us a much better choice than an attenuator between OT and speaker.

Then some of us really only getbwhat we want by using a smaller amp for sleeping baby volume.
Not a terrible way to go with all the affordable 1w amps on the market.

Maybe you want biutique grade hand wired Deluxe?
I use mostly hand wired amps too but when needing 1w of output, attenuating a cranked 12w amp is such a huge compromise to the sound that the hand wiring is virtually worthless to the final sound.
Orange makes 15/7/1 watt setting amps of a range of sounds.

Note that Tweed Fender is really the core of British Marshall and Orange etc etc.
But Fender abandoned that sound between 60 and 63 then reissued without really advancing.
Brit amps advanced Tweed tones more than Fender bothered with.

100LL

Tele-Meister
I don't know how close this gets to a '57 Custom Deluxe, but I do know that I want one [Tone King Falcon Grande]

I hear great things about them, and am personally attracted because of its integrated attenuator. My current setup is a Princeton Reverb with Weber MASS attenuator. It would be nice if it were all in one box, and I think the Tone King attenuator is a better product.

Axegrinder77

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
Any way you choose to get bedroom volume will be a compromise. I’ve tried it all. Attenuator is a good option if you can still be kinda loud, but just need to “take the edge off”. However, you are messing with the dynamics - finger to speaker interaction.

My current solution is to use my drri live and in studio, and if i bring it home and can be a little loud i put my brake lite on it. The majority of my home playing involves modeling amps now. They are good enough that it’s an easier, more flexible, and if done right, inspiring solution. Using an iridium currently (just traded from an hx stomp xl).

I had a Princeton and it was too loud for home and lacking in studio or live (low head room, 10 inch speaker).

Just my humble 2 cents.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
I have listened to a lot of Fender amps and I'm in love with the Fender "57 Custom Deluxe", I love it's brightness with my Tele. I've listened/tried most of the Fender amps, including the 57 Custom Champ and to my ears nothing comes close to the 57 Custom Deluxe in the Fender line up.

However I want an amp that can be attenuated to >1 watt for home practice and still give a bit of over drive. Do you guys/gals know of any tube amp that sounds like the 57 and can be attenuated for home practice. I don't need a lot of watts, the largest gig I'm ever likely to do is a pub, but I love that 57 sound.
Been using a Monoprice 5 watt Stage Right tube combo for a coupla years now. It has a mid to late '50s Tweed sound not unlike a '57 Deluxe. Just a volume and tone knob, a button on the front that lets you select either 5 watts or 1 watt mode. Has an 8" Celestion speaker, and an 8-16 ohm extension speaker out on the back. Can't go wrong for $160 new with free shipping.
Stage Right by Monoprice 5-Watt, 1x8 Guitar Combo Tube Amplifier with Celestion Speaker - Monoprice.com
Monoprice.jpg
MonopriceBack.jpg

Last edited:

Dukex

Tele-Afflicted
IMO, if you love the 5e3 (particularly the Fender '57 Deluxe), buy it, not its second cousin.

Also, there are other 5e3 builders that make great amps for less than the Fender. A Lil Dawg 5e3, for example, with Mather cab but no speaker = $1,359.

I play only at home. I also have a Weber Minimass. I need it on my VSA Vintage 15 (PR clone) but don't need it on my 5e3
(played thorough a 10" speaker).

Last edited: