1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Amp advice based on Value!!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Mikefjohnson, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Mikefjohnson

Mikefjohnson TDPRI Member

Hi all. Don’t want to get into tone as that is so subjective. Just want to talk amps based on Value. Used prices in Canada are much different than the US/UK so I’m gonna do this a bit different.

Peavy DB 210 will be my baseline so we will call that Price $X

VOX NT15 = X+$50

VOX AD60VT (blue)= X-$50

Traynor YCV40 = $X

Traynor YGL1 = $X

Fender HRD = X +$50

Fender Super Champ XD = -$100

You can see most of these are very similar price used.

So just based on value features, is there a clear cut winner??

Thanks

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. Mark617

Mark617 TDPRI Member

I’m a fan of the super champ. But again it’s subjective. Don’t target an amp on price. What you’re really doing is looking for “ your” tone. When you know, you’ll know

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Given those choices I'd take the Delta Blues.

4. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

The tone and the feel IS the value along with practical fit? I have played some very expensive, well featured amps which don’t make me feel inspired. I have a fantastic feeling and sounding vintage JMP but it has no-fx loop.

The playing experience is as objective as it comes unless the purpose of the exercise is to just flip/market/argue a price down.

Are you in the market to buy? Need crunch and gain tones, fx loop? Just a pedal platform?

What you want to to do with it dictates its actual value.

5. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Traynor. Or is this a trick question??

dr_tom and northernguitar like this.
  6. Mikefjohnson

Which model?

7. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

You own a Delta Blues 2-10 now?
    That’s a pretty good amp.
    You just looking for something different??

Marc Morfei likes this.
  8. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Man, I dunno. If I lived in Canada I'd probably look for a vintage Traynor head, or an Orange OR15, or a Marshall combo.

Wally and Nelg like this.
  9. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

Traynor.

dr_tom likes this.
  10. northernguitar

northernguitar Tele-Holic

I prefer the Traynor YCV50...then the YGL1, followed by the YCV40.

dr_tom likes this.
  11. Mikefjohnson

I don’t own anything now. I’m a very new player so obv just home play for the foreseeable future and my old crappy amp is dead. Want to grab an amp to continue to practice, and instead of grabbing a $100 POS, I figure why not spend $400 and get an amp I can growth with.

I have recently sold some stuff on kijiji (the Canadian CL equivalent) and I won’t to sink that spare cash into an amp. If my tastes change or become more defined as I develop, getting what I paid back out of these amps shouldn’t be a problem as long as I don’t pay too much,

I left tone out of it because I’m not at a level to be super nitpicky like some of you more experienced folks.

I know I like clarity, and having the power selector like on the AD60VT seems like a very handy feature for home play.

Going and listening to all these amps in today’s COVID climate isn’t realistic for me.

I have read a ton and of course listened to several demo vids of all these.

THE DB 210 would probably be my winner, but 30 watts of unatteuated power is a bit of a concern.

12. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Edit: just read your response.

I think the Peavey DB is the best value just because it sounds excellent for an amp as affordable as it is. And $400 is an okay/standard deal for one. You may never need another amp again (may want more, but it’s just a great amp, period).

But it sounds like you don’t need anything that high powered/loud, so yeah, either the solid state Vox AD or the Fender Super Champ would probably better suit you.

13. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

The Delta Blues has a master volume control, so I don't see the lack of power scaling to be a problem.

14. Mikefjohnson

And here’s my problem being such a newbie, I thought if I read that playing this at lower volumes it wouldn’t sound good, but that’s not necessarily the case?

15. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

If you are a noob, it doesn't matter. You will not be confident in anything you play (if you are anything like me). You'll churn gear for a couple years and wish you had that amp* back later on down the line. You are Canadian. You are obligated to go Traynor. I've always been impressed with what I've seen under the hood of any Traynor I've worked on or owned. I liked the YCV40 I had. But at that time I had a Blues Deluxe, and HRD, and the Traynor. They are all gone now.

*= whatever amp you choose now.

If I had those choices, today, it'd be between the Peavey and a Traynor YGL1, and I'd prolly go with the Traynor.

dr_tom and northernguitar like this.
  16. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

The master volume is only tied to the drive channel on the Peavey, the clean doesn’t have a master volume (I personally bought it for the cleans and used pedals).

I recall it getting loud quickly. If you’re mostly going to be practicing technique and stuff for a while, a solid state amp doesn’t typically get its tone from the power section (amp needing to be turned up to sound better), so it may be better suited for lower volumes and still sounding inspiring. So my vote would be the Vox AD.

17. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

Today in my current "evolved" state, I make my own amps. So I can scratch any itch I want. In my living room/ practice room...I have a Bassman 10 converted to a JCM800/Rt66 (UL), a lite 2B (6V6), a mongrel with VVR, pentode input to a Deluxeish preamp/power section with James tonestack, and Peavey Bandit.

The mongrel is my favorite, but it is a mess, so it can't be played out. Which is fine, because it's perfect for practice. You can dial in all kinds of pre/power amp distortion whatever you want.

I flick on the Bandit for cleans.

And i still pine for the 90's Pro Jr. that I had years ago...

18. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I can't hear for you, so there is no way to tell which sounds best to you. What sounds best to you is the only factor that matters.

stormsedge likes this.
  19. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Just as beauty is in the eye of the beerholder...(ahem)...beholder...

“Good sounding amp” is in the ear of the listener/player...many people swear by a Roland JC-120–I swear at them (can’t stand ‘em)...likewise, I love the old Fender Bassman Ten (silverface, master volume) but many people have legitimate complaints about them...

Go try all the amps on your list, and see which one works for you...

northernguitar and nojazzhere like this.
  20. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Well, it depends...

Do you play out in a band with an average drummer? The Fender HRD would be the way to go. Plenty of volume and it takes pedals well. Depending on year, condition and model, they go locally for $300 and up. I have owned a couple over the years and one of the IV models with a pine cabinet is on my short list.

Do you play and record at home? The Super Champ XD has plenty of features and great tone. I have two. One is not quite loud enough for my five piece band. My band members prefer my Deluxe Reverb.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.