Americans Invented Rock and Roll, But The British Perfected It. Fight me!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ElJay370, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

The counter argument would be that British musicians were experts at taking American music and watering it down to a version more palatable to a mass audience. I don't necessarily agree with this, but you could just as easily make this case as make the case that they
    somehow "perfected" rock and roll.

At the end of the day, I think some of the most interesting music comes at the frayed edges between different genres, and that's really the sweet spot that many of these British groups were able to inhabit.

ElJay370, DekeDog and Mick Sullivan like this.
  2. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

You've got me on the amp thing. I don't know my technical history all that well. But as far as iconography goes, Marshall is rock and roll.

They didn’t build stacks of fake Fender Bassmans for Ace Frehley to stand in front of.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    fenderchamp likes this.
  3. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

Interesting. I never personally drew a distinction between "Rock" and "Rock and Roll". Both terms seemed interchangeable to me.

Is "Rock 'n Roll" different from "Rock and Roll"?

4. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

wallofsound.jpg

Straydogger, drlucky, larsjen and 4 others like this.
  5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Well, R&R is a very broad category.
    To me, much of the Beatles isn't strictly rock, it's pop maybe? or something.. That's not a dig, they are probably my favorite or at least most impressive band of all time. Then again, pop is rock is blues is.... :>)
    The Stones are rock to me.
    Pink Floyd.. hmm.. not sure what they are, but not straight up rock n roll. Kinda more like the Beatles.

But yes, the Brit Invasion was a huge part of R&R history and one of my favorite parts for sure. Probably my most favorite. Rock got better for it, more complex.

Straydogger and Greggorios like this.
  6. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Meister

Van Halen?!? AC/DC? Tom Mofo Petty? Rage? Anthrax? Metallica. Pantera? Just flavors and evolution of blues created here. Yes I know AC/DC isn't American but still they’re not British.

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

No, the "n" and the "and" are interchangeable, but, there's been no rock n roll on the charts since maybe 1962, with the rare exception of bands like the Stray Cats

8. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

And Eddie Cochran...

howardlo, beagle and GoldieLocks like this.
  9. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

No argument from me, but there's a lot of dislike for UK artists on this forum, so you'll probably find a few disagreeing with you.

A few more great bands (imho) missing from the list:

Cream
    Free
    Queen
    Deep Purple
    Jethro Tull
    Fleetwood Mac (Peter Green era)

I'd also argue that we invented and perfected Prog, but that's for another hate thread! :lol:

Yes
    ELP
    Genesis

Moriarty and Chip like this.
  10. Beaubien66

Beaubien66 TDPRI Member

Is it accurate to say that UK discover with a lot of enthusiasm American pop Music of the 50s... Rock N Roll, Rhythm, Blues and country, etc. The British musicians reshaped it (with a lot of admiration for US artists) and throw it back to USA. The famous British Invasion ? Anyway can't imagine Pop Music without US and UK...

Straydogger and JuneauMike like this.
  11. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Ahem.

A song which was so loved by one man, he did his own version of it.

That was followed by one of the finest R&R songs of all time. British of course.

I will say though that we didn't have anyone as awesome as Fats Domino, so while we may think we perfected it, Fats just says 'That's nice boys, now hold my beer...'

Straydogger, beagle and sonicsmitty like this.
  12. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

My original post isn't meant as a cultural dig, BTW. The contributions made by bands from the US and elsewhere are numerous and massive.

But Sgt. Pepper's? Dark Side of the Moon? Exile on Main St? Zeppelin IV? Tommy? These are the pillars upon which modern rock music is built. I think that's pretty undeniable.

Straydogger, Mad Kiwi and JuneauMike like this.
  13. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

This is kind of a loser debate. Depends on what you like. You need some kind of metric: sales? "artisitc merit?" (good luck with that one) There are a lot of great american bands and a lot of great english bands and the aussies have some bands and so do the irish. The anglophone produces a lot of bands.

I would fault the brits for introducing bands that don't swing, like progressive rock bands.

https://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/greatest-american-rock-bands

Lot of great bands on there.

14. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

IMHO rock and roll has roots in swing, "rock" does not. Early Chuck Berry is rock and roll. Metallica is rock. Doesn't swing

15. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Also boogie woogie

16. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

Three words. Elvis Aaron Presley.

17. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

I'm glad we italians are not involved in this fight. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

18. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

No matter who wins, I certainly think the Grateful Dead has em all now, had em all them and will have em in the distant future. Even if you don't agree with that no one can argue that the Dead were not the reason for so much of what we see and hear today in Rock, Rock and Roll, Hip Hop, Country etc.. They were the first ones to use large sound systems for the vocals and instruments. The first ones! Before they did that it was simply small PA setups like they'd use at a political campaign rally. The were the first ones to use stage monitors for the band, the first ones to put thought and r&d into microphones, the first ones to set the crowd a little back from the stage, possible the first ones to use lights as a light show vs simply a spot light, I believe the first ones to do a set break, the first ones to put so much thought and effort into creating something such as the wall of sound as pictured above. They paved the way for so much of what we have today at concerts. All they wanted was to produce the most perfect sonic experience they could for the crowd. And as I said in another post, the most American(a) band that's ever existed. So many of their songs describe the America of yesterday, they easily mention more American States, Cities and towns than any other band. And they're the quintessential mixing of different musical backgrounds to form a new and unique sound, which is like America a huge melting pot.

We can argue UK vs USA for rock but we certainly know Jamaica has the market cornered in reggae and in fact the most popular worldwide musician happened to be from Jamaica and happened to play reggae. So while we can argue Brit vs American it just so happens that this little island in the Caribbean produced a musician who's more popular than all those bands on both sides of the pond combined. So maybe Jamaica wins lol?

19. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Rock n roll was born perfect.

howardlo and blowtorch like this.
  20. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

you forgot Hawkwind!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.