1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Americans Invented Rock and Roll, But The British Perfected It. Fight me!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ElJay370, Sep 26, 2019.

1. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Afflicted

Stolen huh? Interesting.

2. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mama Thornton is getting restless too, but Bessie Smith is trying to calm them. They're just glad to be remembered and appreciated.

41144 and notmyusualuserid like this.
  3. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

This is a fascinating concept. I don’t know how deep you can get on TDPRI (no offense, lads), but I prefer to think of the sixties as one big crock pot, with all the flavors blending and effecting each other.

Pet Sounds begat Sgt. Peppers. Hendrix had to go to London to get famous. The Stones taught white Americans about the blues.

ElJay370 likes this.
  4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Oy...

If you asked all the British musicians that I listed before, musicians who belong to the group who “perfected” rock n roll, to read your post and comment on it, I’m guessing you’d get a helluva lot of eye-rolling and maybe even some curse words.

“Hey Jimmy, would you rather have written Heartbeat or the more “dynamic” SRTS ?”

“Hey Robert, aren’t you glad you didn’t write and have to sing “Heartbeat, why do you miss when my baby kisses me ?” and instead wrote and got to sing “City lights are oh so bright as we go sliding sliding sliding sliding sliding sliding sliding sliding” ?

I too love both of those songs. We could even strip Buddy’s example back a little simpler and compare Not Fade Away or Everyday to Song Remains The Same instead.

Equally valid to say Buddy’s tunes are like a perfectly cooked medium-rare steak and SRTS is a tuna noodle casserole WITH not just potato chips on top, but three kinds of flavored chips, sushi-grade tuna, imported French mushroom soup, and hand-made egg noodles.

Remember - the folks that are/were in the bands that produced the more challenging/complex/dynamic songs know more about this subject than you or I - right ?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  5. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

The Swedes are the world's best rhythm guitar players.

6. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

and then the americans took it back and created AOR Rock and Hair Metal!

7. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

aahm..yes?

8. Telefan65

Telefan65 Tele-Meister

America gave rock-n-roll to the world at its inception.Now it’s my opinion that what the
    Brits have perfected is how to embellish upon the original template as so many other acts from around the world. The blueprint never changes it’s just the personal tastes that different musicians with different musical angles add to the original format. But I love British rock-n-roll.Give me stones, Beatles, Dave Clark five all day long. But we all bow and pray at the alter of bill Haley and Chuck berry and little Richard. Long live Rock-n-roll.

9. Mick Sullivan

Mick Sullivan Tele-Meister

America is the daddy.

The UK is the slightly better-looking son.

puddin and DekeDog like this.
  10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Y’all are also acting as if Beatles/Stones/Who/Zeppelin are representative of the quality of ALL limey-rock.

A lot of the sons could better be described as “troglodytes” rather than “good-looking”...

ELO
    Supertramp
    Status Quo
    Jethro Tull
    Uriah Heep
    Etc

Mick Sullivan likes this.
  11. Kmaxbrady

Kmaxbrady Tele-Meister

Beatles, Clapton, Zeppelin, Queen, and can I include a certain Irish 4 pc band who wrote the greatest album of all time?

Hard to argue with the OP.

12. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

I guess that knocks Led Zeppelin off the list.:twisted:

13. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

[EDIT] Double post

14. Norris Vulcan

Stiff Little Fingers ?????

15. Kmaxbrady

Kmaxbrady Tele-Meister

Nope, U2, but I’ll check those guys out

16. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Post war Britian was poor, but thirsty for entertainment. Shugging off the Glenn miller swing sound, but aware that America had many unknown sounds to delve into - thanks to Blues records the G.I's left behind, the focus went to a forgotten genre in the states - SKIFFLE....rough music that anyone could make, and full of energy for the young.

WIKIPEDIA quote time;

Skiffle was a relatively obscure genre, and it might have been largely forgotten if not for its revival in the United Kingdom in the 1950s........

It has been estimated that in the late 1950s, there were 30,000–50,000 skiffle groups in Britain. Sales of guitars grew rapidly, and other musicians were able to perform on improvised bass and percussion in venues such as church halls and cafes and in the flourishing coffee bars of Soho, London......

A large number of British musicians began their careers playing skiffle in this period, and some became leading figures in their respective fields. These included leading Northern Irish musician Van Morrison and British blues pioneer Alexis Korner, as well as Ronnie Wood, Alex Harvey and Mick Jagger; folk musicians Martin Carthy, John Renbourn and Ashley Hutchings; rock musicians Roger Daltrey, Jimmy Page, Ritchie Blackmore, Robin Trower and David Gilmour; and popular Beat-music successes Graham Nash and Allan Clarke of the Hollies. Most notably, the Beatles developed from John Lennon's skiffle group the Quarrymen. Similarly, the Bee Gees developed from Barry Gibb's skiffle group the Rattlesnakes.

It was this element that the Brits had, that led to the birth of British Rock. Plus the acceptance and absobance of the black-music scene going on in the early sixties.

The fusion of Blues, Gospel and the new Soul sound, created not only the smooth Sam Cooke sounds, but also a more angry and aggressive roots of rock sound.
    Take a listen to the 1960 Bobby Bland, and the way Wayne Bennett intergrates the guitar over the singing.

The band, The Manish Boys', with David Bowie, and featuring Jimmy Page on guitar, recorded a version that was released in 1965. Produced by Shel Talmy, who also produced for the Who and the Kinks.

17. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Holic

and punk and new wave.

18. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Hahaha! Yeah the Brits perfected it. I got some ocean front property in Chicago for sale. I've been on this forum since 2007 and this was the first time I laughed out loud at the title of a thread.
    [​IMG]

Norris Vulcan likes this.
  19. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

Nah bro, just your opinion... Marshall may be rock but it sho nuff aint' rock and roll.
    Aerosmith, Heart, and others were rocking (hot rodding) Music Man amps in the 70's as well as Fenders, (Randall Smith, Howard Dumble)

And can't forget Peavey and these bros...

20. Norris Vulcan

What would have happened if these Skiffle bands didn't hear US Forces radio, and trade LP's from the US, and hear real Blues.?
    We could be stuck in Skiffle hell for the whole 60's !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.