American vs. Mexican telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Musiclover01, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Beaubien66

Beaubien66 TDPRI Member

I agree with you. Thanks for explanations. Can you tell me more about American Vintage pickups ? Are they usually regular stock pickups on Classic Serie Mexican Tele ? Mine are American Vintage 58 (bridge) et 52 (neck). It is what you call Custom Shop designed ?

2. Tom-Australia

Tom-Australia Tele-Meister

Surely the strings (and how they've been fitted) plays a pretty big part.

3. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

The guy will probably changing his own strings and using the same gauges and brand on the two guitars so there will be no difference in this. Also even if another guy did restring them it wouldn't make any difference past the nut (or any at all).

4. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I had a tele jam the other week. I was playing a Baja, and the two other guys were playing a 52RI and a partscaster Tele with iron foundry pickups.

When we tried the guitars through the same amp (Peavey Envoy), damned if I could tell any difference.

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

:^)

Doesn't say much about that Peavey, eh?

I have two Classic 50s 2x12s, one modded and one stock, and my G + L Comanches sound awful through either. I think my Teles sound good and sound distinct through 'em, one to the next but not everyone agrees.

6. Jimmythefish

Jimmythefish TDPRI Member

Being somewhat of a guitar snob and owning an American made Martin D28 (as my only guitar) I set out a few months ago looking for a tele (which would be my only electric) hoping that the American Telecaster would be heads and shoulders above the MIM ones. I had owned a MIM 60s Strat in the past and sold it because I never really bonded with it, and didn't play electric much at the time. Never had a problem with the quality.

I'm partial to the classics, and wanted to buy something which would be a guitar I could play and pass on to my kids one day.

I settled on a MIM FSR butterscotch. It's not because I thought it's as good as a USA model, but because I thought that it didn't matter at this moment. Simply put, I decided to get a good guitar and then figure out what it is I wanted before dropping big cash on an expensive guitar. Fact is, a tele is a simple beast. Unlike an acoustic, the biggest thing for me on the tele was the neck feel. This one felt OK and it didn't feel a whole lot different than the USA standard I compared it to. So, I bought the MIM a with the eye to really sorting out what it was that I wanted in a tele. Were I looking at a USA strat, having owned a MIM vintage bridged 7.5mm radius guitar I know that I would want the better trem on the USA model and a 9.5 radius on the fretboard.

It's funny, of course, because I think the expensive guitar I actually am going to want is probably going to be an elite or custom shop HSS strat. The tele is wonderful but I'm finding that the neck is where I spend my time for blues and I wound really like more grunt on the bridge pickup than what the FSR bridge offers.

As far as wood goes, everything matters. I changed my bridge pins on my D28 from plastic to bone and noticed a difference. They resonate. Everything affects that.

7. Hank Bauman

Hank Bauman TDPRI Member

I would guess there are lots of threads discussing what makes a guitar sound different from another.
    I have this to share. I have an American Strat at home and had put a Warmoth maple with ebony fretboard neck on it. I have another Warmoth complete build with the same neck, maple, ebony.
    The American strat body one, unplugged, had much less natural sound. It was quieter. For no real reason except the love to fart around with guitars, I got a one piece maple neck and put it on the American Fender. It now matches the natural sound of the other guitar and maybe is bit louder unplugged. Not sure about amplification. I don't plug in that much.
    But I had always figured the body would have more effect. I was surprised that the neck made that much difference.

8. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Dashing off as I have to run so this may have been answered...
    pots and caps can be 20% different from each other and still be in manufacturer's spec. If seeking differences in tone, you need to swap the pickups and the electronics as a system.

Buckocaster51 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.