'American' voiced speakers with 'British' amps?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Samsen, Sep 20, 2013.

1. leebman

leebman Tele-Meister

vox seem to be using hifi speakers :eek:

2. Tarnisher

Tarnisher Friend of Leo's

I've wondered this myself.

All I can say is that my Orange Micro Terror sounds great through my vintage Jensen P12S and my new Eminence lil' Texas, although I've not tried it with any other speakers, so it might be even better through a Celestion.

3. Samsen

Samsen Tele-Meister

Vox AC15 with a RI P12Q

Some great discussion here! I completely agree that 'chime' or 'icepick' isn't tied to a speaker or amp alone. I was intrigued by these RI Jensens as they seem to have lower (published) sensitivities than the others I've looked at and this is quite desirable for me because we got to be quite mindful of stage volumes at the place I play out and I'm always looking for ways to run my non-MV AC15 at 'breakup' volumes without having to use attenuation (although I have that as well! ...OK any excuse for experimentation! :lol:). Now you can see why I might be interested in the C12R! Oi! No laughing at the back!! :oops:

...So, today I ran my 50th Anni Vox AC15 in to a RI P12Q housed inside the FSR Deluxe Reverb combo cab. Absolutely lovely sounds. The EF86 channel particularly worked really well with it. It's kinda weird, it reminded me of my other amp (LazyJ running a Blue clone), in that you can hear the speaker colouring the tone in its own way, but the unmistakable tweed voice comes through. In this too, the warm bass of the speaker really complemented the amp, and the midrange had more than a hint of that smoothness (compared to the complexity of a Blue), but you can hear the amp's distinctive voicing coming through as well.

Also loved being able to run at higher volumes and the way the speaker compresses (but doesn't get any louder) working the volume control on the guitar. Lovely stuff. Now, one thing I couldn't test was rig the P12Q in to the combo cab of my Vox, to hear if the characteristics hold true for my Vox cab. I'm sure it'll be different, but I'm hoping it'll stay the same, more or less.

Now I'm really intrigued in hearing how different a P12R sounds to a P12Q and also about Weber's own offerings and how they compare to these RI Jensens.

4. leebman

leebman Tele-Meister

like a chinese celestial to the slaughter

5. Samsen

Samsen Tele-Meister

:D you must be a right laugh to be around! Heh. Interrupting randomly with phrases you think you're clever? The troll must be strong on this one.

I know I asked a pretty dumb question to a lot of you but I imagine not all of us are wise old sages who've experienced everything..but gee just for a moment I thought I ended up in TGP or something.

6. leebman

leebman Tele-Meister

The reference was for an auto corrected spelling and a slight derision on the far east made speakers from celestion hence celestial because they don't sound anything like celestions so you may aswell call them celestials never mind

7. randysmojo

randysmojo Tele-Afflicted

I've always heard and read that Hendrix used EV 12"s in his Marshall cabinets closer to the end of his life.

8. Samsen

Samsen Tele-Meister

Sarcasm detector failure then, never mind.
    So, what are people's opinions on running something like a Weber 12A125S with a Vox AC15? I liked the bass of the RI P12Q when I tried it with my amp last weekend, complemented the amp really well, but there's no telling how it will sound when put in my combo cab. I also liked the sensitivity of the P12Q, just perfect. Are Weber Alnicos louder?

9. Samsen

Samsen Tele-Meister

Anybody??

10. Samsen

Samsen Tele-Meister

OK, minor thread resurrection. Went and got myself the FDR equipped Eminence Maverick. Can't wait to install it in and have a play tomorrow! Hopefully it'll have some of the characteristics I loved about the P12Q. Big plus of course is the 91.5dB under full 'attenuation'. Ah, really salivating at the thought of the possibilities!

Will report back (and perhaps record and put up a clip too!).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.