American Vintage II - coming October

BigRiver

TDPRI Member
I don’t get too worked up over dry rosewood….oil it up and all good.
It's not that it's in any way "dry"- it's just a lighter colored piece and if you split it in half, that's the way it is down to the core. Oil will temporarily improve the appearance of lighter wood somewhat, but it still is what it is. It's no different than a woman wearing make-up. It may "darken" it a little, but the poor graining still exists.

It only matters to someone it matters to. Not a big deal to me, but...

Wood is graded based on: color, grain straightness, grain tightness, streaks, knots, mineral deposits, etc. Many buyer's of expensive guitars expect AA or A grade wood, but Fender has been slipping in B and C wood over the last few years.

greenhornet

Tele-Meister
It's not that it's in any way "dry"- it's just a lighter colored piece and if you split it in half, that's the way it is down to the core. Oil will temporarily improve the appearance of lighter wood somewhat, but it still is what it is. It's no different than a woman wearing make-up. It may "darken" it a little, but the poor graining still exists.

It only matters to someone it matters to. Not a big deal to me, but...

Wood is graded based on: color, grain straightness, grain tightness, streaks, knots, mineral deposits, etc. Many buyer's of expensive guitars expect AA or A grade wood, but Fender has been slipping in B and C wood over the last few years.
Yes, I've noticed that the boards are not the dark rosewood most people love. Not a big deal to me, either. My favorite Strat has a swirly grained rosewood fretboard that I personally love.

Minivan Megafun

Tele-Afflicted
Any idea if the finish is nitro over poly or 2012-2017 version? I'm assuming your dealer would know.

Note that in any of the leaked marketing material, Fender has not used the term "flash coat lacquer" to describe the finish. This was specific to the AV series. instead the new specs say, "gloss nitrocellulose lacquer" which is exactly the wording used on the AO's.

Given the problems that they had with the AV finishes I would not expect a repeat of that on a production line guitar again.

BigRiver

TDPRI Member
Any idea if the finish is nitro over poly or 2012-2017 version? I'm assuming your dealer would know.
That's the assumption because nothing in the marketing said "flash coat" or similar. If they did this, they would almost definitely mention it.

I'm waiting for an adventurous poster here to do a test and strip the paint somewhere under the pickguard and find out for sure... any volunteers?

Andoris

Tele-Meister
That's the assumption because nothing in the marketing said "flash coat" or similar. If they did this, they would almost definitely mention it.

I'm waiting for an adventurous poster here to do a test and strip the paint somewhere under the pickguard and find out for sure... any volunteers?
I’ll just call Wildwood and ask. They knew right away about the finish in AOs back when they released

Alex W

Friend of Leo's
1665320803469.png

I love it

Rosewoodtele

TDPRI Member
Note that in any of the leaked marketing material, Fender has not used the term "flash coat lacquer" to describe the finish. This was specific to the AV series. instead the new specs say, "gloss nitrocellulose lacquer" which is exactly the wording used on the AO's.

Given the problems that they had with the AV finishes I would not expect a repeat of that on a production line guitar again.
Not arguing, genuinely asking.

The fender website just says “gloss lacquer” for the bodies and does not actually mention nitro. It says “gloss nitrocellulose lacquer” for the neck finish.

Is the “gloss lacquer” not nitro then?