American Vintage II - coming October

BigRiver

TDPRI Member
I presume market research tells Fender consumers want very saturated neck (and butterscotch blonde) tints but I think it looks terrible and bears little relation to what actual aged Fenders look like.

I'd much prefer to buy a reissue that looks like a brand new guitar right out of 1963 (or whenever).
The market research should show that buyer's don't like a very pale ghostly neck, not this.

These seem a bit overcooked. Like they stayed too long in the tanning bed. Or had one too many spray tans. We have all known someone like that in our lives. And they usually looked better a bit more natural.

TwangerWannabe

Tele-Afflicted
Its interesting that Fender is specifying certain years. It will be interesting to see how accurate they are to original specs.
Only reason they picked those years is because they haven't in the past. It's a way to make the consumer believe there is something special or magical about those years/models which in turn makes people think they need it and want to buy it. Gotta get creative when you're trying to sell people something they already have over and over, year after year.

Last edited:

43mmNut

TDPRI Member
I absolutely love the quibbling and complaining. The AV's were the most accurate repros of these guitars ever made and still not good enough for many of the users here.

As for the comments about nitro: The nitro they sprayed in the 1950's and 60's doesn't exist anymore. It's impossible to recreate due to laws around some of the toxic chemicals that were in the original paints.

So unless anyone here has a time machine and can go back and purchase an original then I suggest you check your expectations.

I think the entire reissue concept has jumped the shark. "I really wish they were making Fender guitars like they did back in 1977" said no one ever.
Yep, this is an interesting thread to read, thanks all....

Mekhem

Tele-Afflicted
Dunno... I think that there is a lot about the 70s models that appeals to people - if they get made right.

I remember reading about the 3 Bolt/Bullet truss rod and how it got a such bad rap because of sloppy manufacturing. As a former owner of a 70's strat that had a neck pocket about 1/4 inch too large... I can attest to that.

Anyway - They are just looking for new/new-ish stuff to do. They will never stop selling the "52" tele and "57" strat but they can move around to a bunch of other years... I think this is also a reaction to the AO series. Average specs for the 50's and 60's with a 9.5 board and bigger frets. Nice guitars but not as popular as the dedicated vintage years.

John C

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Dunno... I think that there is a lot about the 70s models that appeals to people - if they get made right.

I remember reading about the 3 Bolt/Bullet truss rod and how it got a such bad rap because of sloppy manufacturing. As a former owner of a 70's strat that had a neck pocket about 1/4 inch too large... I can attest to that.

Anyway - They are just looking for new/new-ish stuff to do. They will never stop selling the "52" tele and "57" strat but they can move around to a bunch of other years... I think this is also a reaction to the AO series. Average specs for the 50's and 60's with a 9.5 board and bigger frets. Nice guitars but not as popular as the dedicated vintage years.

That is true about the 3-bolt neck; it was designed by Leo Fender and George Fullerton and was probably the last design Leo did for CBS/Fender before his 5-year consulting contract that was part of the sale was completed - the patent documents are from fall of 1969 and have Leo's name, George's name, CBS/Fender and Leo's company (CLF Research) on them.

And Leo used the design on his Music Man instruments made at CLF Research, and again on his G&L designs. BBE Sound, the current owners of G&L, have said that they didn't need to functionally change from the 3-bolt, but they did so because the Fender implementation had such a bad rap that it carried over to them.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
I would guess in the next hour or two? 8 am/9 am/10 pacific?

Yesterday I was thinking what an EPIC troll this would be if fender doesn't announce anything....
I keep looking and saw this new product pop up
43006B65-62D6-4F8F-AEBA-EBB48BEB41BA.png

Who doesn’t want some fender goggles?

BigRiver

TDPRI Member
The pre-2012 52AVRI's had pretty heavily tinted necks, while the 2012 and beyond Pure Vintage 52 Tele had very light tint if any. Even my 2013-2014 50's Hot Rod Strat is tinted, but not nearly as much as those older 52AVRI's which had orange necks very similar to the lacquer versions of the Classic Series guitars. My 2018 Classic Series Lacquer Precision Bass also has a very orange neck.
So this is the marketing photo for the AO 50's tele. I have seen a bunch for sale with much darker necks (new and used), and some this light. I know that UV light will darken it within a couple years, but I think Fender has changed their tint formula since 2017.

I'd be curious what the new ones actually look like.

0110132850_gtr_frt_001_rr.jpg

TwangerWannabe

Tele-Afflicted
So this is the marketing photo for the AO 50's tele. I have seen a bunch for sale with much darker necks (new and used), and some this light. I know that UV light will darken it within a couple years, but I think Fender has changed their tint formula since 2017.

I'd be curious what the new ones actually look like.

View attachment 1036438
UV light is absolutely a factor.

I bought a Classic 50's MIM neck directly from Fender several years ago for a build. Amazing neck that has some flame in it. Over the years it has darkened quite a bit and the flame has become much more prominent.

I am in the process of putting a new AO50's Tele neck on a Partscaster and that thing is super pale with virtually no tint. Hoping that it's nitro it will darken a bit over the coming years.

Mekhem

Tele-Afflicted
Well - The Aerodyne series popped up at 9 am pacific... I am now back to best epic troll ever.... lol

AndrewG

Friend of Leo's
I wish I could get excited about yet more 'new, improved' remakes, of remakes, of remakes-all of which we were confidently informed at the time were the most faithful replicas of originals ever made.

Andoris

Tele-Meister
Now that the Aerodyne series launched today and is posted on their websites front page and Twitter, I highly doubt they will announce the AVII today- maybe in a month or something. I don't see them hiding their other just announced line on page 2 etc. But I could be wrong.