American Vintage II - coming October

Gregorski

TDPRI Member
Said the same thing on the strat forum. Colour choices are so dull it’s untrue. Fender have zero imagination. Same old, same old. Why not and Aztec gold tele custom or a sonic blue blackguard tele. Why not a metallic sherwood green 60s strat or even a metallic sherwood green tele custom come to that. Every collection is the same old story. What really gets me is that every actual vintage 50s tele I’ve seen is much lighter in colour than the butterscotch teles they reissue

Andoris

Tele-Meister
I agree about the BSB tints being bad. No offence to anyone who has one, but I hated the AO tint they chose, and even my 2016 AV wasn't that great. They also vary so much from like 2012 to present. How hard is it to make a color and have all your guitarts be the same tint? smh

Andoris

Tele-Meister
Also the thickness they sprayed them varied wildy too, still does. What I mean by that is how much grain is showing varies insanely. 0 Consistency with BSB's color wise and grain wise, which is ultra annoying for me at least since it's my fave Tele, and I've been waiting for a good one for years

Knightrich

TDPRI Member
Also the thickness they sprayed them varied wildy too, still does. What I mean by that is how much grain is showing varies insanely. 0 Consistency with BSB's color wise and grain wise, which is ultra annoying for me at least since it's my fave Tele, and I've been waiting for a good one for years
I actually really liked the tint on the 70th anniversary broadcasters they did. A little lighter almost and not quite as yellow.

Canadiense. El

Tele-Meister
I'm skeptical until the fat lady sings.
That said, there are some things that have piqued my interest: fiesta red 61 Strat, dakota red 66 JM... put tortoise shell pickguards on them and I'm scrapping pennies together.
The 75 Deluxe would've been a homerun for me if the LPB was on that model, with matching headstock and 9.5" radius. Have mercy.

Last edited:

Chipss36

Tele-Holic
I have a 50 tele AO, I love that guitar, for its tone, its weight is perfect, super light but zero neckdive, however must say I agree about the color, it’s way off, and in 50 years it will be even worse .lol
dark mustard and nicotine anyone? fender is just not very good with nitro at times, that same guitar was not dry when I got it, it took about two months for it to dry out. But it sounded so good, and was super light, I was not letting it go back, or going to change anything.
My EJ Strat was the same , but less so, took about a month for that one to dry out, both are dry now, I know of a few cs guitars that never did dry. A gummy mess. One fender did a refin for that person, and another that was refused the same under warranty. This may be my small world and sample size, but imo fender nitro needs work a more consistent end product, and colors that look correct…as well as more consistency in warranty work when they miss the mark With nitro finish.

never had a Gibson with issues like this. a few Gibsons with umm issues, but not nitro finish issues.

John C

Poster Extraordinaire
So theyre just officially picking random years now...

It appears so - particularly for the 70s-model Tele Deluxes and Customs which were all introduced in 1972. I have no idea why they picked these particular years since they're evidently going to use the actual year of introduction (1972) for the Thinline model.

I suspect they chose these years for these reasons:

1957 for the pre-CBS maple board Strat to go back to the somewhat thinner 1957-style V-neck shape, but they could still use the big soft V that was on the AV '56 Strat and the AO '50s Strat as that was kind of a random transition to thinner necks during 1957 (the Clapton neck is closer to the 1957 neck in depth).

1961 for the pre-CBS rosewood board Strat because that was the last full year of the slab rosewood fingerboard.

1963 for the pre-CBS rosewood board Tele because that was the first full year of the round laminate rosewood fingerboard

1973 for the CBS Strat because that was the last full year of staggered-polepiece pickups

I'm guessing they picked 1951 for the blackguard Tele just to differentiate these new ones from all the other 1952 AV models they've made since 1982; that sounds more like marketing to me even though Fender did start using the "Telecaster" name in late 1951.

Minivan Megafun

Tele-Afflicted
I absolutely love the quibbling and complaining. The AV's were the most accurate repros of these guitars ever made and still not good enough for many of the users here.

As for the comments about nitro: The nitro they sprayed in the 1950's and 60's doesn't exist anymore. It's impossible to recreate due to laws around some of the toxic chemicals that were in the original paints.

So unless anyone here has a time machine and can go back and purchase an original then I suggest you check your expectations.

I think the entire reissue concept has jumped the shark. "I really wish they were making Fender guitars like they did back in 1977" said no one ever.

scotabilly

Tele-Meister
2214D9A8-636A-4F78-A654-2E64D58F2B55.jpeg

Feb 72

Mojambo

TDPRI Member
Said the same thing on the strat forum. Colour choices are so dull it’s untrue. Fender have zero imagination. Same old, same old. Why not and Aztec gold tele custom or a sonic blue blackguard tele. Why not a metallic sherwood green 60s strat or even a metallic sherwood green tele custom come to that. Every collection is the same old story. What really gets me is that every actual vintage 50s tele I’ve seen is much lighter in colour than the butterscotch teles they reissue
Well, those are custom colors anyway. That's why there's a Custom Shop.

My beef for the last couple years is how often Fender leave out the true classic colors. No Olympic White? No Black? There should always be an option for those. And 3TS. Because those have always been available on almost every vintage Fender model, from every era of production. There's no need to reinvent the wheel.

Double Stop

Tele-Afflicted
Just saw the pre-orders for the American Vintage II Teles (and Jazzmaster) for sale on Reverb. Prices range from $2100 - $2400. Looks like they all have 7.25" radius on these models according to the specs under each respective listing.

Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 12.51.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 12.52.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 12.53.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 12.53.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 12.54.19 AM.png