American Vintage, AV, AVRI vs American Vintage II

giogolf

Tele-Holic
So.. Is there a definitive guide to what the differences are between the Telecaster 52 Model with the names: American Vintage, AV, AVRI and now the new American Vintage II?

For reference I am looking at a potential purchase of NOS 2015 American Vintage 52 Tele for $1400.
No I know the line started in the late 80's
Then rebooted in mid 90's to early 2000's
Then renamed or rebooted again in 2012-2016
Then American Originals came out 2017-2021
Now the American Vintage II with the 51' Telecaster.

So besides the AMerican Original line, which clearly is a departure with modern touches.. Whats the deal with all the AV, AVRI, AV II?

Should I consider the 2015 AV 52' Tele?

Thanks

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
I agree with minivan above!

And they didn’t put the dang tint on the necks like they are now

Go go 2012-2018!!! Right on!!!

As accurate as you’ll get, the previous series has too much poly undercoat, the A.O’s do too but not as much as the 80’s-2000’s American vintage reissue series

Willy-son

Tele-Meister
The 2012-2017 AV series is the way to go. Hopefully they tweaked the finish formula on the AV II series so they won't chip as easily. But yes, they were Fender's most historically accurate series and wonderful guitars. I've got a 64 Tele and was interested in getting another until the used prices got crazy. Perhaps the AV II series will drive down the used prices as bit on the AV series?

KCJonez

Tele-Holic
$1400 sounds like a great deal for an excellent guitar.
the 2012-17 line is a great line. I have the 56 strat and I can't imagine ever getting rid of it.
people who bought the 64 tele have nothing but positive things to say about it.
I've played the 52 in stores a few times. It's an amazing guitar.

Minivan Megafun

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
The 2012-2017 AV series is the way to go. Hopefully they tweaked the finish formula on the AV II series so they won't chip as easily. But yes, they were Fender's most historically accurate series and wonderful guitars. I've got a 64 Tele and was interested in getting another until the used prices got crazy. Perhaps the AV II series will drive down the used prices as bit on the AV series?

The finish on the AVii is the same as the AO.

giogolf

Tele-Holic
$1400 sounds like a great deal for an excellent guitar.
the 2012-17 line is a great line. I have the 56 strat and I can't imagine ever getting rid of it.
people who bought the 64 tele have nothing but positive things to say about it.
I've played the 52 in stores a few times. It's an amazing guitar.

So for $1400 I can get a mint nearly NOS 2015 AV52 Tele with original case and only minimal paper work and its missing the ashtray that Ill never use.. Not sure if its worth holding out on another to come buy that has all the candy and hardware

John C

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Agreed - really it's become clear now that the August 2012-2017 AV series were the outliers; the AV II series is a return to something closer to the mid-1988-July 2012 series.

I really think that Fender wanted that 2012-2017 series to be a "bridge" between the production line and the Custom Shop as they had reworked the Custom Shop's "Time Machine" series to have modern radius and bigger frets and eliminating the NOS finish. The 2012-2017 AV series was essentially a replacement for Time Machine NOS models (which were among the least expensive CS models).

Why go backwards? Probably because continuing that version of the AV was too expensive; they would be getting pretty close to $3K in the current economic market so they pushed that level of authenticity back to the Custom Shop.

So for $1400 I can get a mint nearly NOS 2015 AV52 Tele with original case and only minimal paper work and its missing the ashtray that Ill never use.. Not sure if its worth holding out on another to come buy that has all the candy and hardware

I think it's probably not worth holding out for the "nice to have" paperwork, ashtray, etc. if the guitar itself is in great shape, plays well, and sounds good.

jrintheemaking

TDPRI Member
I’m going to go against current on this one. I have had an AO Tele which was nice enough but I let it go fairly quickly.
I’ve had quite a few of both the AV and AVRI line (only Jags and Jazzmasters though), and the AVRIs are the only ones I’ve kept. The AVs just didn’t hold a candle to the AVRIs. I know it’s apples to oranges because you’re talking about Teles, but I just wanted to cast a vote for the AVRIs, as they’re some of my favorite guitars.

tele12

Poster Extraordinaire
So.. Is there a definitive guide to what the differences are between the Telecaster 52 Model with the names: American Vintage, AV, AVRI and now the new American Vintage II?

For reference I am looking at a potential purchase of NOS 2015 American Vintage 52 Tele for $1400.
No I know the line started in the late 80's
Then rebooted in mid 90's to early 2000's
Then renamed or rebooted again in 2012-2016
Then American Originals came out 2017-2021
Now the American Vintage II with the 51' Telecaster.

So besides the AMerican Original line, which clearly is a departure with modern touches.. Whats the deal with all the AV, AVRI, AV II?

Should I consider the 2015 AV 52' Tele?

Thanks

The biggest difference I can see is the 2015 will have vintage frets compared to the new AV II which will have vintage tall frets.

If you can play low vintage frets saving I don't see any reason to pay $850 more for the new AV II.

SonicBlueByYou

TDPRI Member
I have had two AVRIs, a 2008 RI and a 2011 52 Hot Rod, also a 2009 Time Machine Relic Nocaster.

For a while now I have had the finest “52” I have ever played, a 70th Anniversary Heavy Relic Broadcaster. I was happy with the Nocaster until I tried it.

Why does that matter? I also have a cheaper playing-out Tele which is “this close” to the Broadcaster. What is it? A late 2012 AV. It’s simply a great Tele, every bit as good as the Nocaster and easily better than the AVRIs. The frets are .036” high on my AV, by the way.

I play the AV as much as the Broadcaster. They are both lifetime Tele’s.

dreamingtele

Poster Extraordinaire
there's quite a few good things about the older AV models:

Specifically:
early 2000's AVRI 57 Strats - Superb necks and great 57/62 pickups..
early 2000's AVRI 62 Teles and strats..

on 2012-2017 models
AV58 Tele
AV64 Tele
AV62 Tele

AV56 Strat
AV59 Strat

Id always go for 2012-2017 AV models though..

I'll wait until the AVII fills the market with more of these guitars so that I can hunt the 2012-2017 models for a more affordable price.. in as much as I love these guitars and this specific model line (yes including AO), I'm not going to pay new prices in this economic situation..

I'm going to go used on this, doesnt matter if it's scuffed,scratched or something.. relic is my thing, unless it's really abused, then its a no.. but I realized I want top notch guitars, so I'm going to chase those guitars but I wont pay top dollar and get it used. hehehe..

giogolf

Tele-Holic
Im thinking Ill need a better look at these frets.. I played Fender medium/jumbo most of my life.. Then the Vintage Tall on my AO which took time to get used to, but I like them now.. However, regular vintage… hmm we will see

Minivan Megafun

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Im thinking Ill need a better look at these frets.. I played Fender medium/jumbo most of my life.. Then the Vintage Tall on my AO which took time to get used to, but I like them now.. However, regular vintage… hmm we will see

One of the big reasons why I adore my AO's but never cared for AV (or AVRI)

Esquire Jones

Tele-Holic
So is there any thing tele flavored that comes with 6105 frets, 9.5” radius, 1.65” width neck?

I mean, other than custom shop?

dreamingtele

Poster Extraordinaire

Its one of the big reasons why I love the AVRI/AV models..

Vintage frets is not for everyone, sure, but for me personally, I love the feel of my fingers touching the fretboard.. makes me feel a little bit more connected to my guitar.. and lower frets makes the string action "feel" a little bit lower too..

It needs some good basic set up to get them right, but once you dial it in, it feels amazing.. but thats just me..

I also love the winning combination of 7.25 radius and narrow-tall 6105 frets..

dreamingtele

Poster Extraordinaire
So is there any thing tele flavored that comes with 6105 frets, 9.5” radius, 1.65” width neck?

I mean, other than custom shop?

youd have to look for a model thats a bit older..

they're called "Vintage Hot Rod" and in the same family tree of the AV/AVRI.. made from 2007-2013

The neck specs are 9.5" radius, 1.65" nut width, but medium jumbo frets.. there's limited models, and are a general year, rather than specific, for example Vintage Hot Rod 52 Tele, or 62 Strat..

thats the closest thing you're looking for, for a non-CS model..

Esquire Jones

Tele-Holic
My 2006 Thin Skin 52 from Dave’s has those specs. I’ve never come across another guitar in person with the same specs.

Maybe my favorite configuration.

dreamingtele

Poster Extraordinaire
My 2006 Thin Skin 52 from Dave’s has those specs. I’ve never come across another guitar in person with the same specs.

Maybe my favorite configuration.

The Thin Skin models are custom ordered by Dave and Wildwood.. So those will be unique.. There's also Wildwood 10-Thinskin with 10" Radius instead..

a bit harder to find, but it exists..

I used to really obsess with specs, its all vintage or nothing!! LOL.. but now, given enough time, I can live with whatever.. BUT just dont give me jumbo frets!! HAHAA