1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

American vintage 72 telecaster thinline test

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Maxivorarcher, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Maxivorarcher

Maxivorarcher TDPRI Member

So today I walked into one of the many great London guitar shops and played Avri 72 thinline, a/b testing it against the mexican model. Thought you might be interested, especially in the tweaked pick ups. I was playing through a fender blues deluxe which was a great base to test out the differences.
    SO,the Mexican guitar was fine, pretty generic fit and finish, fine neck. The controls felt a little insubstantial but forgivably so. In terms of sounds the pickups were surprisingly ok, the Mex wrhp's are usually written off as muddy, these had a bit more life in them than that and had some clarity when played clean. Things muffed up a bit when I wound up the gain but it was passable. All in all a playable mid level guitar.

The Avri, though twice the price, was three times the guitar. Everything felt high quality from the bridge to the tuners, much better than an original. The finish was nitro, not in keeping with the originals but always nice, the guitar was very light and resonant. Now, before I played these two I had a good noodle on an original 1974 tele deluxe, in comparison the weight and playability of the Avri far surpassed the original. What you will no doubt be most interested in is the pickups, which I thought were bloody fantastic. They were huge sounding but retained clarity, especially when pushed into overdrive. All three positions were strident in musicality and tonality, a really lovely guitar. Whatever they tweaked to do this has done the job.

And no, I didn't buy it, sadly I would have to rob a bank or commit major fraud in order to do so.

I hope this is interesting for anyone who is a fan for these 70s beauties.

2. effcee

effcee Tele-Meister

Big thanks, Maxi, great review. Apparently, there's a lot of interest in these new Fender American RIs. I can't wait to get ahold of them!

3. Maxivorarcher

Yeah I would seriously recommend them, great quality guitar

4. strat1962

strat1962 TDPRI Member

Thanks Maxi, I'm interested in these too. I have a Japanese 72 TL and would like to see how the USA version compares.

Have you compared the Japanese version to the Mexican?

5. Maxivorarcher

I haven't tried the gap version, I presume that given how far above Mex guitars gap teles seem to be the same would hold true here. I guess if its all about the pickups who knows

6. Pips

Pips Tele-Holic

I'm interested in a thinline, how would the RI compare to the telebration modern thinline (which is a better looking guitar imop)?

7. Maxivorarcher

Funnily enough I played one of these bad boys yesterday, was going to do another post but this is fine. Its hard to compare the modern thinline with the reissues, it's like comparing an am deluxe to a 52 reissue, very different feel. The reissue has all the charming quirks of a vintage style guitar. The modern thinline was a great player, fantastic intonation and sharp tones but nothing like the woodiness of the reissue

8. Jake D

Jake D Tele-Holic

Does anybody know what Fender did to the American Vintage WRHB's?

9. Bunky

Bunky Tele-Meister

How does that bridge bucker sound? Does it still have a tele goodness?

10. Jake D

Jake D Tele-Holic

I guess somebody needs to buy one of these and pull apart the pickups!

I am hoping the American Vintage WRHB show up on ebay soon.

11. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I would love to hear an a/b comparison on YouTube.

12. Jake D

Jake D Tele-Holic

13. Chris Barrett

Chris Barrett TDPRI Member

I have one, in natural. It's all he says, I love the thing. Play it through a hotrod III deluxe. Just great balance, action, sound, hardware and a beautiful build. Worth it to me. Hotrods are worth a look as well, tubes just work with the guitar set up.
    Depends on how loud you need I guess.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.