American Vintage '58 Tele?

TelePlank

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
How rare are these and how have they held up? What's ballpark price for a good condition used one? White Blonde is the go to for me. Played one years ago and sort of fell of the radar.

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
You talking a reissue or the real deal?

1663801882509.png

playforfun

Tele-Afflicted
I don’t know if I would consider them rare but the AVRI series prices have held up better than most. I think the used ones sell for about the same as they did new. My avatar is an AVRI 72 custom. Love it.

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
It's a reissue the model line was called American Vintage.
Well, yeah, but if I was referring to an older american deluxe I might call it that too. My tele in my profile is a vintage 78 american deluxe, from 1978. Saw some of both in the eBay, the ones you speak of were listed at about $1.5k, but they're in Japan. For some reason the guitar listing I see in Japan are always at least 50% more.....

Rufustelestrats

Tele-Holic
I would start looking at Reverb and Ebay. They do appear but seems like less than the 64 models do. I have both on my watch list just to track asking prices. I have both the blond (my avitar) and the sunburst a 1 of 46 first run.

Cjteleforum

Tele-Meister
I played one when they were available new and was really impressed. I wish I'd bought it. The finish was a lot thinner than the '52 reissues I've seen.

Rufustelestrats

Tele-Holic
I got it at GC at the start of Covid, and it was owned by a working musician who took absolute exquisite care of his guitars. It had one small ding on the back edge otherwise clean like new. I also got a 72 thinline reissue mx from that same gc, same seller not even a scratch on the pickguard.

I have played it, but I also take care not to beat the edges as the finish is quite fragile.

TelePlank

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I got it at GC at the start of Covid, and it was owned by a working musician who took absolute exquisite care of his guitars. It had one small ding on the back edge otherwise clean like new. I also got a 72 thinline reissue mx from that same gc, same seller not even a scratch on the pickguard.

I have played it, but I also take care not to beat the edges as the finish is quite fragile.

Lucky! How much do these go for realistically? I kinda see the sales history all over on Reverb.

Rufustelestrats

Tele-Holic
That is as accurate as far as I can tell. I say it depends on condition. I would not sell mine less than 2k for the white and 24-2500 for the 1 of 46.
Just me... I had the entire set run at one time. The strats and teles all in each color and 1 of 46. Should have kept them as a set and held on to them.. DOH....

TelePlank

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
That is as accurate as far as I can tell. I say it depends on condition. I would not sell mine less than 2k for the white and 24-2500 for the 1 of 46.
Just me... I had the entire set run at one time. The strats and teles all in each color and 1 of 46. Should have kept them as a set and held on to them.. DOH....
Yeah 2k USD is roughly what I was looking to spend on one. There is one on Reverb for $2199 plus $60 shipping. It's pretty beat up, but it's a Tele ya know? Just not sure if that's worth the asking price in that condition.

A whole set dang....

TelePlank

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter

TelePlank

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Another 1st of 46 burst. I bought this one from another member here. It’s my lightest Tele of my 3 by far. I gravitate towards the bridge pickup 90% of the time on the 58, which is opposite my AV64 which I favor the neck p/u.

View attachment 1031984
Mine has quite a bit of finish checking.
View attachment 1031985

Honestly that finish checking looks pretty sharp.

dannyh

Friend of Leo's
They had one at the Dallas GC clearance store back around the time they were discontinued. I really wish I’d bought it. Wound up with a 64 AV a little later instead. Love the 64 but that white blonde 58 AV finish is stunning with the maple neck.

I think I read where some people had some issues with the 58, with the alignment of the high E on the neck, being almost over the edge (the one I looked at had a little bit of that going on), but that may have just been on a few. They are beautiful guitars though.