American Vintage 52 reissue neck

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by FrostyMorn, Jan 23, 2020.

1. FrostyMorn

FrostyMorn TDPRI Member

I'm playing an American Original 60's neck at the moment, which I like better than the modern C profile which I find too thin. I tried out a couple (yes, two) recent AV 52 Teles (2013 and 2016) about which I can say "I love the neck" and "I dislike the neck". The profile is wonderful! The frets are fine, my kind of small. The 7.25 radius is workable. Try as I might, however, the E strings insist on sliding off the edges of the fingerboard. Even with my usual 11 gauge set.

I'd love to find a neck with a similar profile, rosewood fingerboard and a 9.5 radius. Any suggestions?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

What you are saying sounds like a alignment issue which can be fixed 2 ways either slacken the bolts and pull the neck over to either left or right depending on what E string it is happening on
    if that does not work just get a new nut cut

RadioFM74 and Bella_Caster like this.
  3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Are you implying that the 'steepness' of the radius is causing the strings to fall off the edge? Cause I don't think it works that way... The factors are nut width, and bridge spacing (and of course neck alignment relative to the bridge - fixed with a 'whack'). Vintage spec Fenders are notorious for strings near the edge. If this is your first vintage spec guitar, maybe give it a while? People do get used to it...

4. FrostyMorn

FrostyMorn TDPRI Member

Thanks, yes I've address the issue on another guitar with the neck alignment method. However, on the 52, both E strings, top and bottom, slide off the edge. My guess is you'd have to both cut a new nut and "do something" at the saddle end.

5. FrostyMorn

FrostyMorn TDPRI Member

The radius may be a factor, but I have a 7.25 radius MIM Tele that does not have this problem. So I suppose it's a combination of things. I can see cutting a new nut easily... but how to address the saddle end?

6. FuzzWatt

FuzzWatt TDPRI Member

Which model year is giving you the issue? I've owned a 2013 PV 52' and it did the same thing.. kind of. I had to really control my bending and vibrato so as to not bend off the fretboard. This was common with that model as, in my opinion, the fingerboard edges were much too dramatically over-rolled.

7. FrostyMorn

FrostyMorn TDPRI Member

The shop had two, 2013 and 2016. In this regard, they were identical. I don't bend so much, I play a jazz chord-melody style.

8. Andoris

Andoris Tele-Meister

This issue has been discussed at length here.

The problem is that on the 2012-2017, 52's, as well as many AO's, Fender over-rolls the edges of the neck. They then bevel or round the ends of the frets to match the necks roll. This takes off wood on an already thin enough(imo) neck and leaves both E strings close to the edges. The E strings being close slide off even more easily because when they hit that bevelled fret edge they slip off.

Not all of them from 2012-2017 are bad, (had a 2013 58 that has no problem), and it seems it's the later years that are more problematic (ie 2015-2017). There are many many people on this forum who've experienced this issue, myself included. I had a 2016 52 that was my dream guitar, that I had to sell because of this. Another member "Golfnut" paid his luthier to sand the edges of the neck to flatten it out and also re-fret. He ended up selling in the end as well because after the work he had done, the neck was much thinner. At the end of the day, you can move the neck or recut a new nut (then you'll have tight string spacing) but it's not really going to help much.

hdvades likes this.
  9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Fender is super resistant to offering big chunky necks with rosewood boards. Supposedly, to them, it isn't historically accurate.

I use 11s (sometimes 12s) and have 8 of these AV52s. I think what is happening is, the guitar is not set up for you. The outboard strings don't play off for me, so the difference is either a substandard setup of those saddles or it is you. What you could look into, are some barrel saddles with slots in them. Like Marc Rutters does.

MilwMark likes this.
  10. FrostyMorn

FrostyMorn TDPRI Member

Thanks for the tip!

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG] Marc Rutters.

12. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

+1. I have a 2017 AV52 and my one and only sort of complaint is that they overdid it with the rolled edges. Not a deal breaker so far for me however...when those Broadcasters become available I might gander a look.

13. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I dream of a fat "U" shaped rosewood Telecaster neck also and a 7.25 or 9.5 radius is fine. To get a nice aftermarket one to my specs is three hundred plus bucks. So i just stick to what I got.

boris bubbanov and FrostyMorn like this.
  14. moosie

You get used to it.

The neck heel is the same width on all Teles of any era.

The bridge spacing is wider on vintage style bridges. If you're used to playing for example, a MIM, they have a LOT more room on the edges, because of narrower bridge spacing. It is what it is, no way to 'fix' it. If it really bugs you too much, then you're a modern spec guy.

swany and FrostyMorn like this.
  15. FrostyMorn

FrostyMorn TDPRI Member

We'll see. I played the instrument again this evening and decided I needed to bring it home for a fair assessment. There's a lot to like about this guitar.

Maybe some do. My 2007 MIM and this AV 52 both measure 2 1/8" at the saddle.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  16. moosie

"We'll see"

I wasn't implying what you would or would not like, just that there's not much to do for it if you don't.

As for spacing, my AV52, AV58, AVRI52, all measure closer to 2-7/32, which is my understanding the 'vintage spec'. I don't have MIM Tele parts anymore, so can't check that, but I believe they are 2-1/8". The issue is similar on Strats, though I believe modern spacing is even narrower. My old MIM Strat bridge is 2-1/16.

So, yeah, 3/32 is what I meant by 'a lot'. It's not much, but makes a noticeable difference, especially if you're not used to it.

17. FrostyMorn

FrostyMorn TDPRI Member

I was responding to the assertion "you get used to it". People do, obviously.

Yeah, it's spot on 2 1/8“.

18. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

I agree. You will get used to it. I've said it 1000 times here now look at some old Fender's the strings are hanging of the boards on some of those.
    It's the bridge spacing not the rolled edges.

I think the 50s necks are slightly thinner than the 60s necks from that era of reissue. I didn't notice it on my '64 RI as much as I did my '58 RI. I shoulda kept that '58 RI but the strings close to the edge freaked me out at the time.

Now all I play are '56 RI and '54 RI strats and the strings are closer to the edge than my '64 RI tele.

FrostyMorn likes this.
  19. Andoris

Andoris Tele-Meister

Sorry I can't agree with this. I had a 2016 52 with the rolled edges/beveled frets for 1.5 years played daily and I couldn't "get used to it". The necks being thinner for the 50's is definitely a contributing factor, but there is absolutely a huge problem with over-rolling of the edges, and no new nut or bridge for string spacing is going to fix this entirely. It is on a case by case basis of course, my 2013 58 had no issue with this, but it seems to be a much more common problem on the 52's AV's and AO's specifically.

20. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

I know they aren't sitting at your local Guitar Center but if you ever get the chance to play a real 50s Fender you will find the same issue.

I've played 100s of the 2012-2017 American Reissues. I'd even argue I've owned more of them than anyone on this forum. I'm not buying this some were less rolled than others. They are all rolled pretty evenly.
    Maybe it's worse on Teles. I don't own any of my '58 or '52 RIs anymore.

Strat wise I haven't come across a '54 or '56 RI that a Callaham vintage 2 7/32" mounting spacing but with the narrow 2 1/16" string spacing, 6 pivot bridge would make a HUGE difference on.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.