1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

American Ultra vs American Elite Necks?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by powerex21, Feb 26, 2021.

1. powerex21

powerex21 TDPRI Member

Has anyone had the experience of trying both Ultra and Elite Tele necks? I am curious as to if the Ultra neck is 'slimmer' and generally a faster neck to play on vs the Elite? I have smallish hands and managed to find an American Ultra Stratocaster to play on, that felt great since I could easily get the thumb over though am also wondering at the same time if the Elite necks are even slimmer / faster than the Ultras?

2. UPtele

UPtele Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I can't speak for the ultra but I have a partscaster and with an elite neck and smaller hands and I find the neck perfect for me. I have one with an ebony board and I'm looking for one with maple for my next build

3. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

While they start out the same depth the Ultra neck is minutely slimmer than the Elite neck by the time you get to the 12th fret - the Ultra neck spec is .820" at the first fret and .870" at the 12th fret while the Elite neck is specked at .820" at the first fret and .890" at the 12th fret.

The main difference is the shape - the American Ultra is a consistent D shape all the way up and down while the American Elite shape morphs from a C to a D as you move down. The other difference is in radius - the American Ultra is a compound 10"-14" while the American Elite is a compound 9.5"-14".

Again - these are minute differences in the factory spec. But - and this is a big BUT - all Fender necks vary because they are hand-sanded after they come off the CNC machines so they all vary a bit.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  4. Tele Jr

Tele Jr Tele-Holic

I like the one piece maple neck.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.