1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

american standards...your thoughts now that they're discontinued?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by horax, Mar 13, 2020.

1. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Holic

This.

There was nothing wrong with the American Standard. They just made these new subdivisions based upon the ability to entice people who already owned Fender guitars, into buying a new one...

They lose a lot of business based upon the fact, in their mind, that their product is a great long lasting, and need not replace product.

In other words, the American Standard was the standard and can last 2 lifetimes with regular maintenance. This means that owners thereof do not look at buying new ones because.. why would they?

So they inflated the damn prices and changed them around a bit. Hired a doofball named Tim Shaw to royally SCREW up the Original Vintage pickups that Leo built, and boom, more business, more money.

It's called selling out. As much of a Fender guy I am, it is really a disgrace to allow that doofball to change the iconic pickups so casually and without apology...

Let's face it, most people purchase Fender for the reliability and great product... But yeah as grateful as I am, I am also disgusted at the inflation in the last 10 years, and the changes that were negatives instead of positives...

Don't get me wrong, they made some great moves, we have the 3 saddle back again, rosewood neck options, etc... Getting back to the roots of the original telecaster I guess, but there are hits and misses when they start changing such a great product. Some things are better left alone...

I played my American Standard for 5 years everyday, and enjoyed the hell out of it. I made a move to purchase a Pro model based mainly on the rosewood neck that I had never seen done before. Otherwise my player's model Am Standard wouldn't be collecting dust on the wall...

Fender can't go wrong with the Telecaster, as long as they don't change it too much, and stop doing things like body contours...

*steps off soapbox*

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    thankyouguitar and black_doug like this.
  2. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

The recent American Standard Teles (and Strats!) were awesome guitars, I have two of each.

As for Am Std Teles, I have two, and have modded both:

Jade Pearl with HiLo'tron neck pickup, Cavalier 51/52 bridge pickup, and Switchcraft toggle selector switch.
    [​IMG]

Mystic Red
    [​IMG]

Currently configured, with Antiquity II Mini Humbucker neck pickup, Cavalier Oildale bridge pickup, and Switchcraft toggle selector switch.
    [​IMG]

I especially liked the Am Std Teles featured the contoured body on the back of the guitar - making them very comfortable to play when sitting! When the Am Std Tele was discontinued, Fender featured the rear contour only on the Elite Teles, not on the Am Pros. :(

They also has excellent sounding pickups. I'd pick a late model American Standard Tele body over an American Professional body any day of the week, if the color appealed to me - because of the rear body contour. That's a great feature, in my view.

Necks? I'm ok with the AM Std necks and with the current Pro necks - either way I'm fine.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  3. stonetone7

stonetone7 Tele-Meister

I have an 07 Standard Strat that has 08 Standard spec. Early run or something, I dunno.

But it’s objectively a great rock solid guitar. It does Strat like a Strat should do Strat. It hasn’t needed a setup in years, but I gave it one recently to up the action and give me a banger. It has the best neck pickup I own. It’s neck is pretty heavily flamed, and it has a great dark big-pored fretboard. Blizzard Pearl, which is a color shifter. The last guy to play it who wasn’t me offered to buy it on the spot.

I adopted too early to get the Fat 50s, and I do struggle with the bridge pickup anytime my amp isn’t at volume. But in terms of playability it’s absolutely tops. Also my flat out sexiest rock guitar, new Epi LP notwithstanding.

0C4DDE1A-844E-415F-A8B4-212F52A53534.jpeg

Telecaster88 likes this.
  4. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My Tele and my Strat are both Am Standard - late '07 (with '08 specs) and '14 respectively.

I like everything about them. They both sound good to me. The CS Fat 50s in the Strat are the best I've ever heard.

superjam144 and DHart like this.
  5. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

The Strat I've owned the longest is a '95 American Standard that I bought new in '97.

I've owned several Strat's over the years, this one is a keeper.

6. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

'93 MIA Std tele, it's been my #1 since the day I bought it. One of the 2 best necks I've ever held in my hands. Benn refretted twice. Never letting it go, and all others that come through the door must measure up to it.

I haven't tried a Professional yet. I like the specs, but haven't held one.

superjam144 likes this.
  7. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have two early 90 American Standard Strat Plus guitars. Never had any problems with them ...they are as good as new, and that was very good. Of course there is wear on the original frets...that is to be expected. But no mechanical or electrical problems in nearly 30 years...

upload_2020-3-15_9-26-11.jpeg

superjam144 likes this.
  8. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

In my opinion, the Am Stds are the best value , and have been for decades. The resale value is higher than anything else out there for a reason.

9. gypsy jim

gypsy jim Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I love my American Standard.

toilet.jpg

10. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

My first real Fender ( I had bought copies earlier) was a new American Standard Strat, I bought in 1994.
    Mine was a 3-Tone Sunburst with RW fingerboard ( at the time THAT was the 'Blues Band uniform' guitar)

Honestly I never realized what an over built, plastic-coated, heavy, and generically toneless( by comparison) guitar this was until it was STOLEN in 1996, and I replaced it with a much cheaper, lighter, alive, and funky Tex-Mex Strat, in 1997, my #1 : 20200208_194714.jpg

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    stonetone7 and El Tele Lobo like this.
  11. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I had one of those early Mexican strats...mine was a 93 or 94. Same color. Fantastic guitar. Esp. the early ones. They were top notch.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  12. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Afflicted

Same model here... 1999 am. std tobacco sunburst. Keep it forever. Very well made.

The tone is not the classic one, more nasal. i like it.

Best Regards

mkdaws32 likes this.
  13. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Don't mean to use a broad paintbrush about ALL American Standard Strats- it was just my singular experience between two guitars.

But the Tex-Mex was (is) like an instant best friend- the light body, comfy neck/frets, and thin finish just said to me : " LET'S PLAY!"

14. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I bought a new '89 American Standard Strat tobacco burst and still have it. It has a maple board, 22 frets and is on the verge of needing a fret job. The frets are worn and the edge of the neck has worn through the poly finish down to the wood. It was my #1 for many years and I will never sell it. I bought it when my wife was in the hospital shortly before she passed as a therapy for myself so it has special meaning. This guitar got me back into playing again and it was at that time that I started to get serious about playing.
    I still take it to gigs but I would be floored if it ever got stolen so I'm tying to keep it home. I'd like to have a new Strat built to replace it for gigs but haven't gotten around to it yet.

15. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Good to great!!

Never fan of the bridge because of it's short string travel from the witness point of the saddle to the through-body

superjam144 and boris bubbanov like this.
  16. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

What exactly was done with the pickups and what is the difference in sound?
    I used to have an American Deluxe Strat with the SCN noiseless pickups and I remember them sounding too sterile for my taste.

cdwillis likes this.
  17. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I guess I should include my American Standard Strats, as well. From the 2013-2014 era. Wonderful build quality, great necks, and awesome tones from the Fat '50s Strat pickups - classic Strat tones with just a hint of nice edge.

Black guards and pickup covers - my mods.

Mystic Red American Standard
    [​IMG]

Sienna American Standard
    [​IMG]

cdwillis, black_doug and superjam144 like this.
  18. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

My 2013 American Standard Tele is my first and only Tele. It has turned out to be really important in my studio kit.

[​IMG]

Bob

audiopablo, Gaz_ and superjam144 like this.
  19. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Holic

The VMODs have half the sustain and tone of the Original Vintage pickups. IN MY OPINION. Obviously there are many who love them.

I just noticed that I had to work twice as hard to solo with them as the notes fall flat very quickly. In general the tone seems like it has suffered as well.

If I could have beared it and dealt with it, I wouldn't have replaced them, but the difference was night and day. As soon as I received the guitar back with the OV's installed, I was immediately relieved and full of joy. These were in fact, the same pickups in the 90s Am Standard.

The VMODs in my opinion can work well for a faster player, or a jazz player, but for me, it felt like someone turned the volume down on the pickups or something... That original flavor, ESPECIALLY the NECK PICKUP was completely gone. I tweaked them to no end, and found that the neck pickup could never be nearly as loud as the bridge pickup.. Which added to the torment.

Shaw has stated that they are "more musical". Which leads me to think that they were designed for a more technical player perhaps? I enjoy blues rock... I RELY on having a fat tone... especially the neck pickup... The OV's are "just right". No it's not a stratocaster, but it has a nice neck pickup tone to where I can sit on it and play rhythm, fingerpick, and then hit the bridge pickup for a solo... My main influences are Hendrix, SRV, and Frusciante. All stratocaster players...

I don't mean to trash them... I just felt a big disappointment with them, and feel like they should offer them as an option, but keep the American Standard as the the standard so to speak.

20. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I wouldn't say I did not like them--but I have always preferred the nicer Mexican Fenders, such as the Classic series.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.