American Standard Tele anyone?

black_doug

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Here’s my ‘08 American Standard. It has a middle pickup now that I just added but it was my No. 1 since I bought it new.

BDC3C141-7EC2-4003-8FBB-97EF14BA3951.jpeg

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
I always find them very… uhhh…standard. Useable in a pinch, but vibeless and generic. But, I like to fight a guitar a little bit, so vintage suits me better. I want character; some squawk or gnarl when pushed. A pinch of “What are you lookin’ at?” on a late night subway. Am std Strats? Same thing.

Ebidis

Friend of Leo's
I used to have an AS Tele, and it was OK. Very high quality, very nice guitar, but just kinda "meh" to me. I now have a Baja that is amazing to me.

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
I think American Standard Tele's are kind of boring, but I'd gig with one in a heartbeat. They stay in tune and they sound good too.

Funny I have one, only one, It's a sweet one a '92 in a rare finish. I never play it though even though it sounds great, it has a Duncan hot stack in the bridge and it's as stable as the Golden Gate Bridge.

I'm planning on trading it off today on a Gibson Acoustic, an old battered J-100, but now I'm having second thoughts.

pippoman

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I think American Standard Tele's are kind of boring, but I'd gig with one in a heartbeat. They stay in tune and they sound good too.

Funny I have one, only one, It's a sweet one a '92 in a rare finish. I never play it though even though it sounds great, it has a Duncan hot stack in the bridge and it's as stable as the Golden Gate Bridge.

I'm planning on trading it off today on a Gibson Acoustic, an old battered J-100, but now I'm having second thoughts.
It’s funny that you said Am Srandards are boring and then mentioned everything I love about them. The J-100s are great too, but boring🤪🤪🤪. Just kidding….

pippoman

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
When i became tele obsessed, which is all too easy, i traded my way up to a US standard. Great quality, really good pickups but i just couldn't get on with the neck. So sadly it had to go. Happy with my Bajas and cabs tho.
I’ve had both the 50s v-neck and the 60s style Baja. I stupidly sold my 60s style and immediately missed it. Which one do you have?

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I have 4 really nice Telecasters: a 60s American Original, a Richie Kotzen, an American std. with rosewood board and an American std. with maple board. I’ve finally decided my American standards work best for me. One is stock (maple fret board) and I added Danny Gatton Bardens and a Callahan 3 saddle bridge to the other (rosewood board). I don’t know why, but I brought my AO to a gig yesterday and during the first set I switched to my Strat. 99% of the time I prefer a Tele, but, as nice as the AO is, i didn’t feel at home with it. Also, in my old age it’s harder for me to see things close up and I faltered on the solo to “Take it Easy” at one point because I glanced down at the marker dots and they looked blurry, gone actually. I’ve played that dang solo hundreds of times without a glitch.
By contrast, the black dots on my red Am-std with maple board are always clear as a bell. Anyone else ever have that issue? At any rate, I guess what I’m saying is that moving forward I’m going back to my humble, no-frills, non custom shop 2011 Am-std. I don’t need anything fancy apparently; just a plank. It’s the little things that create preferences I suppose.
If pretty much came to the same conclusion with both my Fender Telecasters and Stratocasters. I prefer the American Standards and American Series guitars over other, even more expensive guitars. Good weight (not a fan of super light guitars) and my favorite necks.

I have the first version American Professional Telecaster that is a great looking and quality guitar with a nice dark Rosewood fretboard. My only real complaint with the Professional is the tall narrow frets. Other than the frets, i would still I would still prefer shape etc. of an American Standard neck on this guitar.

pippoman

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Update to my earlier post. A couple nights ago I noticed an ad in the local marketplace and saw this dead mint 2011 Am Std Tele.... something about natural grain guitars... Anyway I was lucky and yesterday I picked it up.... for what I thought was a fair price..... it plays and sounds really nice just like the other Am Std's that I've played in the past.... a few things I gotta tweak when I set it up but.... It's a keeper!!

View attachment 968667 View attachment 968668 View attachment 968669
Nice acquisition! I saw one nearly identical to that one in a local store a couple weeks back. I thought about getting it because you don’t see a lot of them in natural, but 4 Teles is enough. I have one I’m modding with Bardens and reversing the control plate for easier volume swells, like Bill Kirchen’s Tele. I did that on one years ago and it really worked well for me. I’m careful not to say upgrading because that’s subjective, so I call pickup swaps ‘modding.’

kuch

Tele-Meister
It’s funny that you said Am Srandards are boring and then mentioned everything I love about them. The J-100s are great too, but boring🤪🤪🤪. Just kidding….
Don't know if this is true but I think there's a difference in Fender owners vs Gibson owners. To Gibby owners, the LP standard is something higher up on their scale of hierarchy. To Fender owners the Standard model is as quoted above "meh"..... Is that why Fender changed the "standard" to the "Performer"? Does the perception of the name affect how people actually think of these guitars?

I know for myself, I love my "Standard" as much as I love my 52 Hotrod in playability, quality, and sound.

my $0.02

Grateful Ape

Tele-Afflicted
My nuthin' fancy 2013 Am. Standard tele. Alder/rosewood.

teleworksm.jpg

telestfloorsm.jpg

It is just fantastic as one of my anchor instruments for the studio kit. One of these days I've dreamed of adding an aged white pearloid pickguard just for fun.

Bob
Honestly, what more do you need than this?

Grateful Ape

Tele-Afflicted
When I want the Tele sound, nothing can beat this ax. In the second pic it is being photo-bombed by its biggest competition: my ES-335. 😄

Bob
Oh, I would love a 335. But crazy money nowadays. Tele, strat, 335.... everything covered

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
I was sort of trying to be funny

..but J-100s are kind of boring too in the same way as american standard Teles, plain and practical, J-200s and D28Hs and custom shop sparkle Teles are sexy and exciting. Les Paul studios are boring Les Paul Customs are Sexy. The list goes on and on.

All SG's are cool and sexy, none of them seem nearly as stable as a good tele.

US Std tele's are great guitars no doubt. For the typical player, myself included, I think they are much more comfortable than your typical AVRI or OA '52, which are cooler but kind of old fashioned and fuzty, requiring quite a bit of dinking around with and amp dinking around with and playing to really get sorted out and comfortable on.

pippoman

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I was sort of trying to be funny

..but J-100s are kind of boring too in the same way as american standard Teles, plain and practical, J-200s and D28Hs and custom shop sparkle Teles are sexy and exciting. Les Paul studios are boring Les Paul Customs are Sexy. The list goes on and on.

All SG's are cool and sexy, none of them seem nearly as stable as a good tele.

US Std tele's are great guitars no doubt. For the typical player, myself included, I think they are much more comfortable than your typical AVRI or OA '52, which are cooler but kind of old fashioned and fuzty, requiring quite a bit of dinking around with and amp dinking around with and playing to really get sorted out and comfortable on.
True what you said about SGs! I have a ‘61 RI and love playing it both at home and in gigs occasionally, but I do have to tune it more than my Fenders. Usually I only take a Tele and a Strat to rehearsal or gigs. They’re too practical (in a boring way 😆) to be ignored. Even if I bring my SG or CS356, I’ll always bring my Tele or Strat.