American Standard Tele anyone?

pippoman

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I have 4 really nice Telecasters: a 60s American Original, a Richie Kotzen, an American std. with rosewood board and an American std. with maple board. I’ve finally decided my American standards work best for me. One is stock (maple fret board) and I added Danny Gatton Bardens and a Callahan 3 saddle bridge to the other (rosewood board). I don’t know why, but I brought my AO to a gig yesterday and during the first set I switched to my Strat. 99% of the time I prefer a Tele, but, as nice as the AO is, i didn’t feel at home with it. Also, in my old age it’s harder for me to see things close up and I faltered on the solo to “Take it Easy” at one point because I glanced down at the marker dots and they looked blurry, gone actually. I’ve played that dang solo hundreds of times without a glitch.
By contrast, the black dots on my red Am-std with maple board are always clear as a bell. Anyone else ever have that issue? At any rate, I guess what I’m saying is that moving forward I’m going back to my humble, no-frills, non custom shop 2011 Am-std. I don’t need anything fancy apparently; just a plank. It’s the little things that create preferences I suppose.

kuch

Tele-Meister
I don't currently have any American Standards but I never met one that I didn't like, strat or tele..... I'm always on the lookout for one but right now they're really pricey.....

chezdeluxe

Doctor of Teleocity
I have two maple neck Am Std teles from 2008 and a maple neck sienna sunburst ash body Am Std Strat from 2013.

They play beautifully and I love the necks and frets. The teles have been modified slightly. One with cs Texas Special pickups and a 4 way switch and the other with a hum bucker in the neck. I like those pu changes but truly there was nothing wrong with the stock pickups. The Strat style bridge saddles are excellent in my opinion and the guitars intonation is fine.

Keep enjoying your guitar.

Steven Kaplan

TDPRI Member
I have an American Standard and find it to be more difficult to play than my other guitar makes.

jman72

Friend of Leo's
I had a 2005 American Standard Tele with a maple fretboard. Amazing guitar, but I just couldn't bond with the neck (too wide for my liking). Kept it for 10 years, but eventually sold it.

Beachbum

Poster Extraordinaire
I have four Teles including an 08 American Standard that is my #1 and gets the most play time. She began life with a maple board that I changed out in favor of a Warmoth mahogany neck with an ebony board. The maple board went to an MIM that I was using as an extensive mod platform.

1648535114041.png

1648535225882.png

Last edited:

Southpole

Tele-Afflicted
Still got my 93 Standard 3TS maple neck. Had it 20 years. Not my main guitar but it’s always there when I need it.

I’ve seen posts that say early/ mid / late 90s pickups all sound different but I haven’t played enough of them to experience it personally.

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Love my '93 MIA. It's been my #1 since I bought it new in '94. It's been refretted twice (the last time with stainless steel frets so it'll be the LAST time), and I changed the pickups (Rio Grande Muy Grande bridge and Fender Texas Special neck, within the first 6 months), but otherwise I've just played the thing.

Supro.jpg

ricardo1912

Friend of Leo's
When i became tele obsessed, which is all too easy, i traded my way up to a US standard. Great quality, really good pickups but i just couldn't get on with the neck. So sadly it had to go. Happy with my Bajas and cabs tho.

Willy-son

Tele-Meister
I owned a 1991 American Standard, blonde with rosewood neck, for years and regret selling it. Really solid, reliable guitar. All stock, played and sounded great. I prefer a 7.25 radius neck but this guitar just felt right.

kuch

Tele-Meister
I don't currently have any American Standards but I never met one that I didn't like, strat or tele..... I'm always on the lookout for one but right now they're really pricey.....

Update to my earlier post. A couple nights ago I noticed an ad in the local marketplace and saw this dead mint 2011 Am Std Tele.... something about natural grain guitars... Anyway I was lucky and yesterday I picked it up.... for what I thought was a fair price..... it plays and sounds really nice just like the other Am Std's that I've played in the past.... a few things I gotta tweak when I set it up but.... It's a keeper!!

20220331_123010.jpg
20220331_122929.jpg
20220331_122950.jpg

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
I have 4 really nice Telecasters: a 60s American Original, a Richie Kotzen, an American std. with rosewood board and an American std. with maple board. I’ve finally decided my American standards work best for me. One is stock (maple fret board) and I added Danny Gatton Bardens and a Callahan 3 saddle bridge to the other (rosewood board). I don’t know why, but I brought my AO to a gig yesterday and during the first set I switched to my Strat. 99% of the time I prefer a Tele, but, as nice as the AO is, i didn’t feel at home with it. Also, in my old age it’s harder for me to see things close up and I faltered on the solo to “Take it Easy” at one point because I glanced down at the marker dots and they looked blurry, gone actually. I’ve played that dang solo hundreds of times without a glitch.
By contrast, the black dots on my red Am-std with maple board are always clear as a bell. Anyone else ever have that issue? At any rate, I guess what I’m saying is that moving forward I’m going back to my humble, no-frills, non custom shop 2011 Am-std. I don’t need anything fancy apparently; just a plank. It’s the little things that create preferences I suppose.
I don’t have an Am Std Tele, but I’m on the look out for one. Brief story, had a 2003 Am Std Strat, bought for me by Mrs Wrighty for my 50th, from new. Had a couple or three MIM Tele’s and three years ago some of my redundancy money went on an Am Pro, which I love. Went into my local shop for strings last month and they had an Am Std Strat, 2003, in black with a TS plate, posted my NGD on the other channel. Never much liked black guitars, never much liked TS plates but this combination saw me almost instantly reaching for my debit card. Trouble is, never having decided between a Strat or Tele as my overall preference, I now neeeeeeeed an early to mid 2000 Am. Std Tele in black with a maple board and TS plate. Still looking, seen a couple a long way away but haven’t yet plucked up the courage to buy sight unseen.

Last edited:

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
I have four Teles including an 08 American Standard that is my #1 and gets the most play time. She began life with a maple board that I changed out in favor of a Warmoth mahogany neck with an ebony board. The maple board went to an MIM that I was using as an extensive mod platform.

View attachment 967412

View attachment 967413
Guess you don’t have Pippoman’s problem with dot markers!

pippoman

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Guess you don’t have Pippoman’s problem with dot markers!
I don’t think most of the commentators got this, few as they were. Boring thread I guess. At any rate, I think it may be time to visit an eye doctor.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
I don’t think most of the commentators got this, few as they were. Boring thread I guess. At any rate, I think it may be time to visit an eye doctor.
Not boring, I’d extend it to include ‘why do I rely on dots anyway?’ I should be able to find the right fret after all these years!

pippoman

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
60 years of playing and I guess I still use them for reference above the 7th fret. I never realized that before owning the American Original. I don’t stare at them though, just glance down occasionally and when I don’t see what I was looking down for, it’s distracting. It’s happened twice in the last year. I can play sitting in my chair at home with lights out with no struggle, but for some reason, when playing live I’ll glance down and if those markers are blurred, mainly between the 7th and 10th frets, it can throw me off. 12th fret and above is no problem for some odd reason - I don’t even look. The AO is the only guitar I’ve ever had that issue with. Im near sighted in my old age and don’t wear readers when playing. Denial maybe?

kuch

Tele-Meister
60 years of playing and I guess I still use them for reference above the 7th fret. I never realized that before owning the American Original. I don’t stare at them though, just glance down occasionally and when I don’t see what I was looking down for, it’s distracting. It’s happened twice in the last year. I can play sitting in my chair at home with lights out with no struggle, but for some reason, when playing live I’ll glance down and if those markers are blurred, mainly between the 7th and 10th frets, it can throw me off. 12th fret and above is no problem for some odd reason - I don’t even look. The AO is the only guitar I’ve ever had that issue with. Im near sighted in my old age and don’t wear readers when playing. Denial maybe?
Hey man I feel you..... gradually fading for me too.... Braile for guitars?? ;)