American Standard or other?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Gyprock, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Gyprock

Gyprock TDPRI Member

I'm looking for a 2008 American Standard tele neck to pair with a matching body of the same year. A quick google of a 2008 model brings up necks with the 'TELECASTER' writing much smaller, and the logo less bold.

I found this on eBay advertised as a 'Fender American Telecaster LOADED NECK' but i'm not so sure it's an American Standard, but probably a Highway One or other USA model.

The serial Z8168991 doesn't really tell me much other than it's made in USA.

Any opinions?

[​IMG]

2. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Meister

You nailed it. looks like either an American Special or a HWY1 neck. nothing wrong with either of those models. both should fit your body just fine. what are you doing for the hardware and electronics?

3. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Agree with @tamer_of_banthas - with a Z8 (2008) serial number it would be a Highway 1 neck; the American Special came out in 2010. That being said the 2nd version of the Highway 1 and the American Special had the same neck (same part number and everything).

boris bubbanov likes this.
  4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yup. Agree with all above.

The main difference was, the Highways came in maple one piece - and rosewood board (with skunk stripe) versions, but the basic American Special was limited to just the maple. There was, however, I think an FSR of the American Special with the rosewood - I think that was 2011.

+

This "Base Level" USA Fender neck has tuning machines with posts all the same height - that can be upgraded a number of ways. It will have a HUGE size of fretwire that's often called "Jumbo" but it is more accurately the largest wire that FMIC uses on electric six strings other than the special Yngwie Malmsteen model. This neck is roughly the same thickness and section as the Standard necks but it lacks the "dual action" style truss rod (and that's a plastic collar at the truss rod, not walnut). Also beware, that it may not have a metal base on the heel to accept the Tilt Function that Standard body of yours already has.

My opinion is, you should pass this neck up. When I bought these Highways, I put the necks away eventually in storage and used something else.

5. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Fender says

teleid.png

6. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Not an American Standard neck.

I have two 2008 American Standards with maple necks. My personal favourite neck shape with a 1 11/16 nut and medium jumbo frets and microtilt adjustment.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.