1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

American Special Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by strat-user, Feb 5, 2014.

1. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Up to $949 just about everywhere.

2. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Don't rule out the Wilde (Bill Lawrence) Tele noiseless pickups. I have a set of his L280's in one of my Strats and they are superb, and dead quiet.

3. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

It's the same fret wire size used on American Standard necks, both Strats and Teles. I can appreciate feeling more comforable with vintage sized fret wire. Personally, I'm not. And I prefered the Les Paul Standard frets over those on the so called LP Custom "fretless wonder". So, to each his own.

4. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Me 2, and of course the pickups also sold me on it over the others. I had a 72 tele that I loved, but sold during some moment of temporary insanity. This Am Spcl Tele reminded me so much of that guitar, but with the improvements of better pickups, better bridge pieces, and a better neck. For me, it's the best '72 re-issue that isn't a re-issue.

5. Mushroom_Feet

Mushroom_Feet TDPRI Member

i love 60's cycle hum. When I PCS'd from Fort Bragg to Knox, I kept my guitars in my escape on the car tow and when I plugged my tele back in, the hum was as strong as ever. not sure if it got jolted around too much or not. But I absolutely love the complete degradation of the electronics. Degradation? Degragation? I just don't know.

6. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Attached Files:

7. Mushroom_Feet

Mushroom_Feet TDPRI Member

8. raf

raf Tele-Afflicted

I've got some keystones...

9. Witcher

Witcher TDPRI Member

What Steve? Again? Hahaha...

Btw, the RK strat arrives next week!

10. tele_jas

tele_jas Tele-Afflicted

Here's mine, with a few "mods":

[​IMG]

11. Kladen

Kladen TDPRI Member

As a little sidenote the jumbo frets on my tele taught my to use a more gentle pressure when playing, witch led to less strain on my wrists and it carried over to my playing style with my strat.

12. songsmith1950

songsmith1950 TDPRI Member

My New American Special Tele

I have only had it a couple of weeks and already think it may be the best Tele I have ever had. I have played since the mid sixties and have owned at least three or four strats and teles of each decade.
    One here said this was the best nonreissue early 70's Tele he had ever seen. I think that is perfect. It reminds me a lot of my late 60's and early 70's Teles which were some of my all time faves.
    The pickups don't ice pick your ears unless you treble and bright your amp all the way and then you deserve it. The neck plays so well after just a little practice. Like another member here said, after getting used to my Am Spec I have gone back and find my playing on my other Fenders and Gibsons to be much more relaxed and yet even more precise. As a note bender of some note around here, no pun intended but what the heck, I find these frets to be a joy.
    The three piece bridge is one of my favorite Tele parts. It allows almost but not quite perfect adjustment. The difference is very slight but still enough to give the Tele the fuller sound of the true harmonics mixed with the harmonics generated by the tiny variations. A lot more fullness of tone and a slot more life. Perhaps not as perfectly precise, but far more musical IMO.
    The Arctic White is fine. I wanted Butterscotch but the White still reminds me of my old faves.
    I love the Greasebucket. Trimming the trebs without adding bass is a perfect way to the tone I want. After all, the basses are already there, it is just a question of uncovering them.
    I guess you can tell I just love this guitar. Nothing to change, nothing needs to be modded.
    All I have to do is pick it up and play it. I have found my 62 Custom RI sits now, in it's case to keep it unblemished. It had the true 62 sound of country, spelled ouch at the trebs. I love classic country and rock, but the 62 Pups are a little harsh to me.
    This and my Am Std Strat I have put two John Suhr P-90's in get the vast majority of my time, with the Tele being number one.
    My other Am Std Strat is a 2012 Candy Cola with Fat 50's and I have come to love it as well. Otherwise it and any of the others I didn't like enough would be over the hill and far away.
    But this Am Spec Tele is a keeper. I have a notion that even if all the others are traded in time as others have been, this special will always be Special enough to be in my studio.

Songsmith 1950
    Tom

13. BeatlesAreMyJam

BeatlesAreMyJam Tele-Afflicted

Then how 'bout joining the American Special club that I started yesterday? I'm all alone over there :cry: and it'll give you an excuse to post some pix! People are treating this thread is a club but technically it is not. It is a "discussion thread". BTW HNGD!!

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/guitar-owners-clubs/463005-american-special-club-tele-strat.html

14. songsmith1950

songsmith1950 TDPRI Member

The Special Club

On my way right now.

15. PeteGalaxie

PeteGalaxie Tele-Meister

The Special Club

I'm there too!

16. muzicmaken

muzicmaken Tele-Holic

I have one and love it...it's heavier than a tank though...lol..
    I couldn't bond with it at first, I did not like the pups at all so I put some Fender
    noiseless vintage pups in it...I love it...But like I said it's pretty weighted...I really
    love the neck it's chunky...

17. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

subscribed.

18. Clydacaster

Clydacaster NEW MEMBER!

Do you know if the American Special Tele has the contoured back?

19. BeatlesAreMyJam

BeatlesAreMyJam Tele-Afflicted

It does not :).

20. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Also, does not have the slower, glossy fretboard!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.