American Special Tele neck pickup rout

Clifton C

Tele-Afflicted
Does anyone happen to know if the neck pickup rout for the American Special Tele is routed for a single coil or a humbucker? I've been thinking about this model for a while. If I ever got one, I'd probably want to try a Gibson mini-humbucker I have in the neck position.

rider7

Tele-Meister
Here is a picture of my Am. Special Tele with a humbucker route.

Attachments

• 2014-05-18 15.27.44.jpg
    2014-05-18 15.27.44.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 1,927

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Humbucker, the single rout is in the Standard and highway 1 models.

At least some later Highway One (alder body) models have the same rout as the American Special.

http://www.stratosphereparts.com/am...hardware-bridge-usa-telecaster-olympic-white/

Once the decision was made to put the HB neck pup rout in the new American Special, they changed the CNC accordingly so those bodies of this type done with the Highway One finish (as opposed to the American Special finish) got the new routing. Any Highway One body with a single coil neck pup rout was formed before the boot up of the American Special.

+

And the American Standard Tele is routed as follows:

a) neck humbucker;

b) middle single coil; and

c) "T" pickup bridge position.

The American Deluxe uses the same pickup routing. This carries over from the time when the American Deluxe had 3 pickups.

http://www.stratosphereparts.com/20...caster-tele-body-usa-guitar-parts-dakota-red/

RYAN1987M

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Would a soapbar P90 fit in an American Special with a humbucker route in the neck position?

RYAN1987M

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Looks like a soapbar P90 is a bit wider than a typical humbucker - does anyone happen to have a measurement of the neck pickup route on an American Special Tele?