American Special series: debunking myths about pickups

Telecaster96

TDPRI Member
Hi everybody, after buying a new American Special telecaster (2010) exhumed from the meanders of the warehouse by a store close to me. I've read some threads about this series of guitar and what I've found is that some people essentially claims that they have Highway One pickups. I think this is incorrect because I checked my guitar specification by searching the serial number on Fender website and here it is what I've found:

1643206096258.png
1643206316038.png

Let me know what do you think. I believe this is quite a reliable source!

Simone, from Italy

Last edited:

rigatele

Tele-Afflicted
For the benefit of those, like me, that haven't read those threads, could you please explain what myth exactly?

Telecaster96

TDPRI Member
As I said many people here think that the pickups on this guitar, until 2013, were the ones coming from the Highway One Texas (to be more precise) and so claimed also hat the special essentially was a highway one rebranded. I think theay are wrong! The pu in mine one are Custom Shop Texas Special and they are rellay good for what they are supposed to!

65 Champ Amp

Tele-Afflicted
Highway One was a series of Telecaster. I was not aware there was ever a set of pickups named Highway One.

As long as you like what came in yours, be happy and play that thing.

rigatele

Tele-Afflicted
I guess the question would then be, what pickups did the Highway One guitar have?