1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

American Road Trip

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by sir humphrey, Mar 9, 2015.

1. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've made several outstanding road trips through the US and Canada. I wasn't following music, though. I was using a good old fashioned paper Rand McNally Road Atlas, and driving from green furry patch, to green furry patch. (National Forests, National Parks). Not so much out East, but once you get to the Rockies, there's more green fuzz than not. Beautiful, beautiful country. Three months is not nearly enough.

Anyone from CO know what the OP might find in say, Telluride, assuming he doesn't come in the middle of a festival? Possible open mics and such? I just visited for ten days once, and the whole place -- town, mountains -- is just friggin amazing. Rent a jeep and spend all day on dirt roads, culminating with a little tailgater at Imogene Pass (13,000 feet).

Seriously, OP, with just a month on the actual trip, you'll need to make tough choices of miles vs experience. I'm from the East, mostly, and you could spend the whole month rambling around northern New England. Same would be true for the Deep South. Out West, a month in the Pacific Northwest. A month in the southern deserts. A month in the Rockies from Montana to New Mexico. And a month along the coast and a couple hours inland, between SF and Seattle.

Depends what you like, I guess. No amount of music history would entice me to go somewhere like Chicago voluntarily. Clarksdale on the other hand...

2. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

That's very good of you - when I know dates etc I'll drop you a line.

3. sir humphrey

That's probably really sensible, but I want to do it the other way round because I like the idea of tracing the river to its source (figuratively but not literally!)

4. sir humphrey

I like the song idea - was planning on doing a blog but hadn't thought of that.

5. Tesla_HV

Tesla_HV Tele-Afflicted

Because the OP has asked for music-related sights the just for discussion purposes, a data scientist has used a computer algorithm to map out the most efficient driving route to see all 48 of the continental US states:

Computing the optimal road trip across the U.S.

6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Of course the, Chicago food fest in the summer..would be yum..too bad they
    dont have the Eric Clapton blues fest there anymore...just Lolapalooza

It is noteworthy the auth wants a music tour, not an east coast, west coast,
    rockies...disneyland thing..

7. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

Northeast Iowa along the Mississippi River Road. Beautiful scenery, quaint antique shops, and good dining. One of the best kept secrets in the country. Most people don't think of Iowa as having this type of terrain (rocky, hilly, tall bluffs, very pretty).

Tom

8. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Afflicted

I would love to. However, political discussions are verboten here. Let's just say "California is a beautiful part of the country" (where I am loathe to spend my money). I'll leave it at that...:)

9. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Iowa is freakin beautiful in the summer. Not sure of music destinations though...

10. moosie

True, but he did say to offer suggestions for "non-music related but quintessentially American on my route".

As a nasty politician once told me, it's always better to answer the question you wish you'd been asked. All I had to do to rationalize it as helpful was remove the phrase "on my route" :D

It just seems a shame to come to the US and miss something like the Rockies, or Northern Cal (I mean Shasta, not San Francisco). But nevermind. I'll go myself (again). Somebody has to do it.

11. sir humphrey

I've been to the Rockies before - and they are an amazing part of the world - but sticking to the plan on this one.

12. sir humphrey

One of the things I'm hoping to discover out there is people like this - jaw dropping players just doing their thing in a small bar.

Friend of mine just sent me this. You don't get this at home!

13. moosie

Well... Robert's Western World isn't your typical 'small bar'... More like THE showcase stage for up-and-comer young guns.

14. Jakedog

Well, sorta. Plenty of less amazing bands play there too. It's like most bars on Broadway. The lower tier/newer acts play earlier. The more established/better acts play later. Roberts is a cool room no doubt, and one of my faves down there. But lots of the other rooms on Broadway showcase top talent as well. I like Tootsie's a lot because it's tiny and filthy, but you never know who you're gonna see playing in there.

You're just as likely to see some top shelf session guys, or tour players when they're not on the road, as you are the new guy who just got to town, and maybe shouldn't have moved there. Lol.

At any rate, a full day and night spent band/bar hopping in the lower Broad and off-broad area can be more fun than anybody should be allowed to have with their clothes on. Highly recommended for our OP.

15. Jakedog

And while you're at it, Sir Humphrey-

If you do opt to spend a day or two in Nash-Vegas, check out the listings to see who's playing at Douglas Corner and 3rd and Lindsley as well. You might find some amazing stuff.

16. moosie

That's cool. I was trying to say that maybe even all of Broadway isn't your typical 'small bar in the USofA'...

I don't actually know anything. :lol: I just figured that example was real cherry picking, and not representative of the whole US.

17. sir humphrey

Lol - yeah, I'm not expecting to see players like that in every small town ;-) But the whole world-class-players-playing-in-a-bar thing just doesn't happen anywhere in the UK.

18. Jakedog

It does happen here. I was flat out floored at a jam in Detroit last week.

I lived in Cleveland for sixteen years and got spoiled. Way more top shelf players than you'd expect in a scene that size. Pure craziness. People there are desensitized to it. They don't even realize what they have. I had guys there who have toured the world and played on hit records playing in my bar band for peanuts.

The best places to see the highest concentrations IME are Nashville and Texas, that's for sure.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.