1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

American Road Trip

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by sir humphrey, Mar 9, 2015.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

No Flying? Then yowsa!

2. didikai

didikai Tele-Meister

All by road

3. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Saying the south gets pretty steamy is like saying that a habanero is a mildly spicy.

To quote Biloxi Blues: "it's Africa hot!"

4. BigDaddyLH

Yes, I won't be in the American South in the hot months. Then again, Sir H is starting in Chicago, so timing is everything.

5. macaroonie

macaroonie Friend of Leo's

Sir H don't forget to include California. I spent a few years there and there is plenty of live music around most nights of the week in most places of any worth.
    You could spend a month in that state and not see everything . Great place although personally I would pass on central LA.

6. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

First of all if you're driving you know we all drive on the wrong side of the road here, right? :D

OK, Memphis.

Daytime musts:

1. Sun Studio
    2. The Stax Museum
    3. Graceland

Nighttime musts:

1. Beale Street- take a stroll and roll into any joint that sounds or smells good!

7. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted

Check out Great Drives (Volume 1): Highway 61. Musician/actor Levon Helm explores Southern culture and blues music as he drives from Memphis to New Orleans on U.S. Highway 61.

8. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the tips. Is there anything non-music related but quintessentially American on my route I should stop off and see? Historic sites, landmarks etc?

9. macaroonie

It's the people you will meet that will stick in your memory. There are a lot of remarkable people to be found all over.

10. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Sir Humphrey, if you make it to Houston (on yer way to Austin) and it's a Wednesday evening, I can provide you the opportunity to sit in with the never underrated house band that I play in. Always good fun and you would be more than welcome. Send me a pm through TDPRI if you're up for it.

11. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

You can travel on a lot less than these estimates if you ain't a fancy pants. I drive all over the U.S. Almost non-stop. Touring musician. I've put over 6000 miles on my van in the last six weeks.

My highest overhead cost days are days I have to get a hotel room. Those days usually cost me about $100-$120 USD for gas, food, room, and a 12 pack. I'm at $110 for today and I drove over 500 miles, at about 26 mpg.

Highly recommend looking into Red Roof Inn for hotel stops. They've remodeled nation wide. Every one has brand new rooms, they're always clean, free wi-fi, cable, usually a mini fridge and microwave. Never more than $60 a night, often around $50. I use them a LOT. Never have any complaints.

Some folks are way more picky than I am, or like to travel much more cushy. As an indie touring act, I've learned to be comfortable on a shoestring budget. In the big cities, like Chicago, etc., I stay 10-15 miles out of town. Little extra driving, but generally drops hotel prices by at least 50%.

My life is a road trip. If you want insights on any particular low priced hotel chains, etc, PM me. Some are very good for the money, others I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. The good and the bad are both pretty consistent. I will say, if you're starting in CHI, budget an extra $20-$30 for tolls just to get out of town. They're flippin brutal with the toll roads there. It's legit highway robbery.

12. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

13. BigDaddyLH

^^^ What's that Australian song, I've been everywhere, Man?

Here's the author's bonus round:

[​IMG]

14. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

perhaps you mean

:D:D

15. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Afflicted

I disagree. Forget California.

16. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I haven't read all the answers yet, but may I suggest going in the late springtime, starting in the deep South and following the good temperatures northwards.

17. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Cool plan.

Can't offer too much advice other than pack a tent just in case hotels get filled up. I took the family 'Out (mini) West' to the Badlands last year, 3200 miles round trip in a week. Ran into a couple of mid-sized towns booked up due to some high-school tournaments or pagents and such so had to drive another hour or two to the next town.

Start a tour blog that you update as you go with 'next stops' and key in your open mic night dates. Easy to get started with wordpress.com Add pictures, music, notes from the road. Make it entertaining and when you're done you can put the work in a book.

Post on each town you'll be at a few days ahead of time in the music section asking if people know where the open mic nights are.

Write some songs. Write a song in each town or one song a week whatever you can manage on a regular basis. Good songs bad songs ok songs. Record them raw before you leave each place, live at the mic or 'in the van'. Studio record them all when you get back home. Release both sets together. Put them up on your blog. Package the music with the book "Songs From My Road" or something.

Years from now you'll look back fondly on this trip.

Again, cool plan.

18. macaroonie

Nicely laid out proposition , would you care to elaborate ?

19. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

A lot of people who don't live in California really don't like California much at all. Especially those from the adjoining states.

20. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I like Northern California. The rest of it could sink and I wouldn't miss it. I have to be in LA in June. Not really looking forward to it. But work is work.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.