1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

American Road Trip

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by sir humphrey, Mar 9, 2015.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I guess if you start at Buddy Guys and head to N'orleans..that is a plan.
    Maybe stop at Gruhn and Gibson (dare I say) on way down to Tipitinas..

Nice trail and ideas in this bio

http://www.pbs.org/theblues/

2. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Don't come in the summer. DC is a great music town and Telecaster HQ.

3. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

It kinda bugs me now... NO! it really bugs me now... back in '85 when I spent the longest time on the west coast... it was as a sailor/surfer/traveler on the way to Brazil and back.... not as a guitar geek...

the US was a stepping stone... there and back 3 mths later..... never even went to a local pawn store or saw a guitar shop... I was an acoustic player, too...

and apart from seeing the odd beater acoustic folks had at their homes/boats... the only guitars I really remember seeing... was at a Costa Mesa pub one Sunday arvo this girl took us too... some tex-mex guys... sounded OK... called themselves the Red Hot Chilli Peppers...:rolleyes:

yer right..:lol:.. I bet I never hear about these guys again... though, I did buy a $5 cassette at the door for the walkman.... and gave it to a guy in Bolivia along with the walkman/our tapes.. as he hadn't heard any western music and liked what ours sounded like.....

Damn.... the land of the Fender... staying with friends not far from Fullerton, original local 60's surfers/film maker dudes..... it never dawned on me to SHOP for one!.. arrrrghhhhhh....:twisted::lol:

someone kick me...

4. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

OK. Consider yourself kicked!

5. Tesla_HV

Tesla_HV Tele-Afflicted

Just a word about logistics. I've made two cross-country trips. You can either poke around and make a lot of stops which will eat up a lot of time or you can prepare for a few marathon driving sessions. The first time that I did this, I drove over 7000 miles in 15 days and visited 22 states. To equal this, prepare for some 10 to 14 hour driving days. The most that I drove in one stretch on that trip was 22 hours. One may ask 'why'. Well there are vast stretches of our country that to tell you the truth, do not have a lot to offer other than great expanses. I started in Florida, drove west to California, north to Nevada, Idaho, and Wyoming, then south to Colorado, east to Kentucky and then south back to Florida. It was the summer of 1986 and me and a buddy did it driving a 1964 Ford Ranchero. Back in those days we had no cell phone and no credit card. The gas was about $0.66 per gallon and we made the entire trip on less than $500. I will do it again, God willing, on a motorcycle. Best wishes and enjoy our Country!

6. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

Yeah - I want a fairly tight itinerary so will mean a few very long drives, but I'm good with that.

Apart from the obvious places (Nashville, N'Orleans etc) I'm looking for suggestions from any of you guys who live on my route and have some local knowledge - "there's a great bar in Temple, TX with a kick-ass house band", that kind of thing!

7. Tesla_HV

Tesla_HV Tele-Afflicted

6th Street in Austin Texas. Lots of blues bars with live music. Austin is a breeding ground of American grass-roots music. On the weekends they close off the streets to all but foot traffic so you walk from on club to another. I will be there in early June.

*Edit* If you do get to Austin, there is a place called Aaron's Rock n Roll that sells oddball music, movie, and Americana memorabilia. Arguably, one of the most famous bars is called Maggie Mae's. It has multiple floors and many bars all with a different band or type of music. Lots of young pretty girls wearing western clothing. And finally, the most famous (again arguably) BBQ joint is called Franklin Barbeque on 11th street. The owner is seen a lot on food show on cable TV.

*Sorry one more edit* The Eric Tessmer Band plays in clubs around Austin and is supposed to be one of the best.

8. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Arriving in Chicago and follow the Mississippi? One of the world's top guitar places is a few hundred feet from the Mississippi but farther north.

http://davesguitar.com/
    http://davesguitar.com/daves-collection/

That would take you a day's drive north but would also start you Mississippi trip where it's arguably more scenic and close to Buckocaster! Studio1087 and me too.

Dave's is not just a guitar shop with extraordinary stock but his personal collection is really a museum.

As far as timing, the Midwest in summer can be a superb foodie place. My wife's family is from Europe and has often timed visits for times they'll have fresh strawberries, tomatoes and sweet corn.

:)

9. Joe Baggadonitz

Joe Baggadonitz Friend of Leo's

Yes, I've/heard Eric Tessmer when wife and I were in Austin. A place called 'Friends' on 6th street. He was very good. At one point he was pouring shots behind the bar while in the middle of a long jam.

Yeah, uh... to the geographically challenged forum member, Memphis, TN. is right next to the Mississippi River. Gad! that irks me!

10. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

Chicago to Nashville to Memphis to New Orleans to Austin are all very doable drives. A quick look at google maps says no leg is more than 8 hours.

11. voodoo_idol

voodoo_idol Friend of Leo's

If it helps your planning any, New Orleans Jazzfest is at the end of April (4/24- 5/3 this year) and Memphis' Beale St Music Festival is in early May (5/1 - 5/3 this year). That's a pretty nice time of year in the south. Make sure to visit Muscle Shoals, AL too.

12. phaedrus

phaedrus Tele-Meister

6th Street is a sight to behold, definitely recommend checking it out. Yes, there is blues, but there is so so so much more. Pretty much any style you could want, Austin has it. 100s of bands to see every night of the week, and I do mean every.

Some other areas...Red River, The Drag, Rainey Street, East Side, Congress, Lamar, etc., even the little town of San Marcos to the south has some cool places. The airport has a live band, as do some of the grocery stores.

I've never been to Fraklin's, and not much interest. There are plenty of other great BBQ joints around town where you don't have to wait all day like a hipster.

The best BBQ ain't in Austin though, you'll have to go to Lockhart, about 30 miles out of town. That is the epicenter of where BBQ wars is fought. Kreuz' Market vs. Smitty's family feud. When the family patriarch died and the kids couldn't sort it out, one side took the coals from the fire which had been burning non-stop for something like 100 years. They put them in a wheel barrow, marched down the street with a parade, and opened the new location.

One sibling got the building and the name, the other got the fire and pit master. You can't make that **** up.

13. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

The more historically accurate/historically themed move would be to start in New Orleans, go west to Austin, then back up the mississippi to Chicago, stop in Memphis and cut over to nashville and end in Chicago. That follows the historical pattern more closely. Follows the migration of African Americans out of South and appalachians into the cities.

14. sir humphrey

Some great suggestions - I'm taking notes!

15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Will the locals find your Jeremy Clarkson impersonation entertaining?

16. sir humphrey

Any more cracks like that and I'll do a Jeremy Clarkson impersonation on you! ;-)

17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Wha?! I'm working the omelette station here!

18. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I had good luck with economical lodging through AirBnB at various places in the US.

19. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

Should we presume you're from the Bristol in the UK, not the CT? If so, this might help you to get your head around the distance:

Chicago to Memphis, Memphis to New Orleans, New Orleans to Austin, are each just a bit farther than London to Edinburgh.

Between them you'd find St. Louis, Nashville, Clarksdale, and San Antonio, among others. You're set to find some real good music, real good food, and real good times. I'd suggest you not make the trip in the summer; the American South gets pretty steamy. Of course, that can really help you get some insight on the blues vibe (minus the cuts from cotton picking)!

20. didikai

didikai Tele-Meister

Took wife and three kids on a mammoth trip. Vancouver BC to San Diego, San Diego to Florida Keys, Florida Keys to New York, NY back to Vancouver. I think we did about 30 odd states

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.