1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

American Professional vs. American Professional II....

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by welder, Oct 25, 2020.

1. welder

welder TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Is the "II" supposed to be an upgrade? I held one at Guitar Center. The neck was super smooth. I was thinking about getting a Professional. I'd have to sell a Strat or two first. I have too many Strats. Now, I just don't know....

2. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Good question, there are only a couple differences that I can see - the top-loader option for the bridge and the sculpted heel, and a roasted pine option that seems interesting.

I have a 2017 American Professional that I really like, I think it's my most comfortable guitar. I really like that neck, and the lack of vintage appointments doesn't bother me.

If the new features aren't compelling it might be a good time to find last-year's model at a discount?

Andy Summers likes this.
  3. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

It states rolled fingerboard edges as a new feature, but I thought the Pro-Standards have had that for quite some time. These also have a push-push pot for series-parallel switching. Personally, I just LOVE the Dark Night color and can't say no to it.

Nahtabot and Wallaby like this.
  4. Wallaby

Oh really, I missed that!

That's a good feature, a lot of people really like 4-way wiring on their Teles from what I've seen.

Andy Summers likes this.
  5. Andy Summers

Yeah. That's a nice selling point to me too.

6. Wallaby

I wonder what is new with the V-Mod "II" pickups, maybe voiced for a bit more snap?

7. Andy Summers

I’m not sure. Sounds good from the limited videos I’ve seen. Of course this will always differ at home through your own rig.

8. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I would consider what they did to be evolutionary tweaks; they could be considered an upgrade by some but not by others. For example, I've seen posts that push back against the contoured neck heel because it's not tradtional, while other love the change.

Fender has had the rolled fingerboard edges on this level guitar since the American Series came out in 2000. Having yet to play one the marketing reads like they are just doing even more rolling on the fingerboard edges - much like what they started doing on the American Ultras last year. It also appears they are using the same tinted finish on the necks as is used on the American Ultras as well.

Muku and Andy Summers like this.
  9. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

My 2017 AmPro maple neck has rolled edges. I’ve added locking tuners and Tex Special PUPs, Just because I like them, a lot. Exactly what I’d do to a Pro ll from what I’ve seen.

Andy Summers likes this.
  10. spenno

spenno Tele-Meister

The (original) Professional series will be tough to improve on, in my book. My favourite guitar in 25 years. But looking forward to playing a II. Can't say any of the new features convince me other than the pine bodied variants coming in as low as 5lbs! The push-pull thing seems interesting, although I was never a fan of the S1 switch on other models and thought it a bit gimmicky. Some of the new finishes are nice, I like mercury (with rosewood) and sienna burst.

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My understanding is, some players didn't like the original version of these pickups enough, and so the whole re-do was about a revised pickup set. Of course, this is where the Strat model line determines the choices made and the Tele line just gets towed along.

12. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Meister

I didn't like mine until I raised them to spec, they came installed about 3/16" from the strings, far too low.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.