American Professional Telecaster - Review

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Aaron1061, Jul 17, 2019.

1. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Holic

I have a telecaster plus v2...it has ash veneers on the top and bottom...The middle is alder. I have a suspicion that its made with at least 4-5 pieces. It weighs a ton. So don't feel bad about multiple pieces.

2. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

I still don't see them.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  3. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

The grain looks excellent.

Why waste time, thought, energy stressing over how many pieces the body is comprised of? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    Andy Summers and howardlo like this.
  4. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

Clapton's '57 body [Blackie] was a 3 piece and I don't think it hindered his tone whatsoever.

That said, ash bodies can be found in 2 piece rather often.

LPTyler likes this.
  5. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I had an American Pro Tele, I had it for quite a while before I traded it for my holy grail, an AVRI 62..

It had a 2pc body, very very light, that even my guitar tech told me I got the luck of the draw as those bodies usually go to Custom Shop guitars.. It's still in the pawnshop where I found my AVRI62, and I'm raising funds to buy it again.. hopefully it will still be there when I have the money.

I almost thought it was a one piece body
    [​IMG]

But then I looked at the back and saw a center joint where 2pcs were glued..
    [​IMG]

Honestly speaking, I couldnt really care less about how many pieces on the body as I measured every tele I ever had to the Baja I used to have that had 4-piece body, and quite on the heavy side.. The American Pro may have an advantage on being US made and the quality of it is evident, but my Baja sounded better.. I know apples and oranges and doesnt compare, but I dont have super hearing that can hear different tonal qualities of different pieces of bodies a guitar is made out of..

And as a matter of fact, my AVRI62 is made out of 3 pieces of alder.. if I did care, I wouldve flipped as a guitar of this price should have 1-2 piece body, but tone and feel is more important to me.. and besides, its my holy grail.. I wouldnt think twice if I see an original 62 telecaster having 2-3 piece of wood selling for a good price.

[​IMG]

LPTyler, Aaron1061 and Sean Mac like this.
  6. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

I'm not. Just thought it was worth mentioning as it was the only "con" I could think of.

7. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

That's good, no reason not to enjoy that guitar (or MOD it until it's PER-FECT for you.)

Aaron1061 likes this.
  8. Bigpernz

Bigpernz Tele-Meister

My American Pro is a 3 piece but the grain is cool and it's very hard to pick out the seams (at least to me). I haven't heard much love for them, but I think the pups are great especially the bridge. Satin neck finish is a pleasure too IMG_20180728_130333119~2.jpg IMG_20180728_130400664~2.jpg

NewKid, LPTyler, Murphcaster and 2 others like this.
  9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I want to commend you for reaching down and finding "the truth" on this sort of body.

Over the years, so many guys begin to post about their "One Piece Body" and most or all the respondents suggest the guy may be mistaken. And he doubles down, and gets grumpy, and maybe even quits the forum rather than admit his mistake. I don't know why people even consider it prestigious, as it means next to nothing in terms of the appearance or function of the guitar.

So, here's a tip of the hat, to you, for keeping your mind open and looking at the evidence! :^)

+++

So, here are the basic "Rules of Thumb" for production FMIC one piece solid body guitars in modern times:

Classic Vibe Squiers: Yes, not that unusual;

Other Squiers: Yes, but rare;

CIJ/MIJ Fenders: Yes, not that unusual;

MIMs: Not a single one known to exist, as their manufacturing process can't handle boards that wide at all; would have to first be resawn for use - a body would have to be introduced from somewhere else;

USA Production: Yes, but quite unusual; and

Fender Custom Shop: Yes, not that unusual but often made to order and not so much random.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    bsman and Aaron1061 like this.
  10. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

And the most unstable body blank is a one piece one unless it is quartersawn, as the wood will shrink and swell opposite the end grain curves.

howardlo and DHart like this.
  11. boris bubbanov

True.

I can see a guitarsmith looking through wide boards, having to resaw many of them and sometimes finding a board with the kind of grain pattern that suggested it would be more stable that most.

I have one alder T body from Tommy Rosamond and the price was just great but Rob mistakenly thought it was 1 piece when it wasn't. The re-sawing was amazingly subtle. I'd have fun handing the body (during the clear finishing process) to various people and most never saw the seam. Or at least, not at first. What this reinforced for me is, there's a lot fewer 1 piecers than people realize. A good craftsman can resaw and rejoin wood sometimes that even trained eyes won't necessarily see. Some guys insist on flipping boards so pieces alternate but I think you can anticipate the cupping and realign the right and left sides of the body so the end result is and remains dead flat.

Sean Mac and Aaron1061 like this.
  12. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Tele-Meister

Agreed. Most Fender CS guitars in general are made from two pieces, sometimes more. Outside of appearance/grain, there's really no appeal for a 1 piece body over a multiple piece body IMO.

Aaron1061 likes this.
  13. OldPup

OldPup TDPRI Member

I have an American Pro, 2017, butterscotch blond. I love the neck, the frets, and the pups, which I find to be lively, versatile, and responsive. I ended up bringing another American Pro home to do side-by-side sound comparison. Maybe mine has a little magic in it or something. Both played very well, but the one kept had pickups that gave me a wider range of sounds. I love the guitar. I can't pick a favorite, but I'd have a hard time saying I like any of my guitars better, even ones I paid more money for.

Forgot to mention the looks, but I love the aesthetics as well. If anyone is considering a Tele, give the AmPro a run!

14. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

You gave it a 9.5 with all those faults?

You didn't sound like you liked it at all.

15. Mase

Mase Tele-Meister

Interesting.When I was an apprentice my boss insisted on me flipping the boards so they alternated, especially on big dining tables.

16. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

not sure you are reading the same post i am..

the 3 piece body isnt really a con. also the pickups are great, as i said. i just prefer Lambertones blondies.

17. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Nice review.

18. kerplop

kerplop TDPRI Member

Well, now you got me wondering where my seams are. I have an '18 American Professional and I can't seem to find where the seams are.
    IMG_20190719_111536.jpg IMG_20190719_111516.jpg IMG_20190719_111455.jpg

19. Little Red Tele

Little Red Tele Tele-Meister

Indeed my 18 butterscotch is a one-piece alder, and super light at 7 lbs. Nice grain too. eSGT66ThQqe90n1Z38UaSw.jpg

kerplop likes this.
  20. boris bubbanov

Well, on something as wide as a dining table, yes I would alternate every board.

But the person at USACG saw a chance to take some material out of one side of a wide board and get the net result to lay quite flat but look like a single uncut piece of wood. When we alternate our pieces (as I would always do if we intended to paint or to deeply stain) we prioritize dead flatness over the impression we are looking at a super wide piece of wood.

We have an antique (but not show quality) cherry dining table and the craftsmen probably should have resawn and flipped, but in those days I guess they often didn't. And one leaf is anything but flat, all these years later. But it sure looks pretty! :^)

Mase likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.