American Professional Telecaster - Review

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Aaron1061, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

I got a 2016 American Professional Telecaster in Butterscotch Blonde 2 weeks ago and have come down the initial cupcake phase to look at it conclusively.

I will start this out by saying i am a tele guy, die hard. I have had a bunch of mexi teles, american standards, Suhr, and MJT variants.

THE PROS:
    The American Professional has what i consider the perfect neck profile. not too thick but definitely not thin. I love the shoulders and the leverage i can get for bending. the tall narrow frets allow you to feel JUST enough fretboard to satisfy you as you play. the weight is very reasonable at 7.4lbs. the fretwork is perfect, and every other detail as well. i love the molded case too. This is probably the best telecaster ive played or owned. It resonates and sustains for days. I can say for sure this is never leaving my herd. its pretty much spot on with the specs i prefer.

THE CONS:
    the body is made out of 3 pieces. they are very pretty pieces of ash but this is still a negative in my mind. for this price id expect a 1 or 2 piece. My american standard ash from 2011 is 1 piece. (EDITED* i was wrong. lol) Also the pickups... the bridge pickup sounds great. thick. however, it does not balance very well with the weaker sounding neck pickup. And both sound a bit sterile. also in general the BSB finishes seem a little too orange for me. this one does not, thankfully but i thought id mention that.

Pickups can be changed no problem and are in the process of being changed. just waiting on the new ones to arrive!

so all in all, i am VERY impressed. id give it a 9.5/10.

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190709200707464_COVER.jpg IMG_20190709_200554.jpg

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  2. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Holic

Can you post pics of your 2011? Not unless you got lucky but production fender guitars are usually 2-3 pieces. I was always under the assumption that you have to step up to a custom shop to get a one piece.

Aaron1061 likes this.
  3. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Congrats. I finally bonded with a tele..it came down to. had to get the pickups set right..spent quite a bit of time with up & down & side to side adjustments..once that balance was on..it became such a dif beast. I had a few got rid of, maybe would of kept if would of done that. A mid position sound became amazing..like such a blend of what both offer..just took some experimenting

4. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

It was refinished. originally it was the natural ash finish.
    Screenshot_20190717-140854.png

cat dude, DHart, Crobbins and 3 others like this.
  5. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

Why did u put it in this dangerous place? What if it felt down? Im calling cops

Factotum and Crobbins like this.
  6. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

"Sustains for days... never leaving my herd..." but you're already swapping pickups? Sounds like it's a little early to say it's a lifetime keeper. I like those guitars plenty, but at that price a 3 pc. body, while not a big deal, is disappointing, and I do find the "butterscotch" finishes to be a little too pumpkin-y for me. They look a little exaggerated. I'd be interested to hear how you feel about this one after several more months of use.

7. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

One piece body blanks might be possible in a custom shop guitar but I doubt anyone would expect it in a production model. You'd spend over a 100 dollars just for the body blank. 2-3 pieces is the norm.

https://exoticwoods.com/cart.php

stnmtthw likes this.
  8. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

to be fair, a friend of mine makes the pickups im putting in and he has spoiled me because they are the best pickups ive ever used.

LPTyler and El Tele Lobo like this.
  9. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Are you sure it's one piece? It looks to me like there could be a seam about an inch in from the control strip.

At any rate, I don't consider (within reasonable limits) the number of pieces of wood to be a terribly important distinction. Given the wide variability of the physical properties of wood between one and another growth ring even on the same tree (due to varying climate conditions existing at the year each ring was added) I really do not find a compelling sonic advantage to a one-piece body. It's only visual...

Irondog and Owenmoney like this.
  10. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

it was one piece, for sure. and i agree. thats why it only came down .5/10 lol and it is awfully pretty grain, even if it is 3 pieces.

bsman likes this.
  11. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

Well, I WAS sure. I'm not above admitting I was wrong. The seems are visible on the back but just barely.
    Screenshot_20190717-142253.png

LPTyler, Crobbins and El Tele Lobo like this.
  12. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

apologies! i was dead wrong. never noticed the seams before, bsman

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    bsman likes this.
  13. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

I'm pretty sure I see a glue line north of the bridge pickup. :). Good matching...but....that grain out of the strap button on the back comes to a dead end...

14. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Holic

I see multiple pieces...but that's not a bad thing. But for an American professional, it would have to be 2 pieces...especially for swamp ash. I have a g&l asat same color 2 pieces.

15. bastonge

bastonge TDPRI Member

I don't think is realistic to ask for a 1 pc body on a regular production guitar. Its even hard to find a CS specimen made of a single chunk.

Sent from my XT1680 using Tapatalk

Murphcaster likes this.
  16. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

You're probably right. I didn't realize 1 piece bodies were so uncommon. Thought I'd had one before.

17. DougF

DougF Tele-Meister

I've heard that actually a one piece body isn't desirable, they tend to be harsh on the high end.

18. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Please post a demo of them after you get them in. Maybe it will send some business your friend's way. :D

19. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Well, heck - it still is a beautiful piece (or pieces!) of wood. :)

20. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

FYI, my AmPro strat is made from three pieces. I know this (even though it's a solid color), because the finish is actually fairly thin, and there are very faint lines where the pieces are joined.

DanDII likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.