American Professional Question

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ocomoc, Mar 25, 2020.

1. ocomoc

ocomoc TDPRI Member

Hi all.
    I've suddenly found a love for the telecaster and have a question. I have 2 american pro's. The first has staggered fender locking tuners with the string tree. The one i just bought on reverb has hipshot locking and the string tree had been removed or broken off. The staggering on the hipshots dont match my fender ones. They go two high, two medium and two low from low E to hi e. I think the strings are 10's, possible 11's.
    I know I should have noticed this before i bought it but being a bass player, the fine details of the tele escaped me. It came with a Lollar Charlie Christian and T pickup.
    Any thoughts on whats going on here?

Thanks

2. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Both Teles have been modded - the first just had the Fender standard tuners replaced with Fender's locking tuners. Fender's normal tuners are 2 tall/4 short, with 1 string tree for the B and high E strings. Fender's aftermarket Deluxe Locking tuner set comes with 3 tall/3 short posts so the string tree remained.

The second had the tuners replaced with the Hipshot tuners. Since the Hipshot set has 2 tall/2 medium/2 short the string tree was removed.

Regarding the pickups on the one Tele (the one with the Hipshot tuners?) are replacements for the stock Fender pickups.

How about some photos? We would love to see them!:D

stnmtthw likes this.
  3. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Nice looking guitar; cool color combination. The mods on that one are the Hipshot tuners/string tree removed, changed pickups to the set you discuss (from stock to the Lollars), and a changed pickguard as well (it's usually parchment on that color).

4. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Some tasty mods in there! congrats!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.