American Professional II Tele Wiring

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by j echo, Mar 12, 2021.

1. j echo

j echo TDPRI Member

Hi all! I bought a loaded pickguard from an AmProII tele and obviously, they had to cut some wires in order to get it out of the guitar. Here’s my problem, I can’t find a diagram for this puppy anywhere. Some are similar, but none are spot on.

I can see where some wires were clipped, but not others.

My best guess so far based on diagrams I’ve seen:
    BRIDGE PUP
    Red goes to A4 on switch
    Black goes joins all other ground wires on volume pot??

NECK PUP
    Yellow goes to the empty glob of solder on the volume pot??
    Black goes to B1 on switch
    No clue where white goes

As for the black ground wires coming from volume pot, I’m guessing one gets attached to the bottom of the bridge. Where does the other go?

If anyone can shed some light, I’ll be eternally grateful. 093A97DD-C53E-4C43-A054-C6DD51EEDEF0.jpeg 496E3B5B-F2C6-4380-84A8-D6B64FB66E5A.jpeg 0F83D336-8D9D-45C6-B052-D574A202035E.jpeg 3EC50754-80A1-4F75-91C2-8CB3E928D025.jpeg 13BA403A-0C3E-4EEF-AD1C-C85AA50D1BAC.jpeg 093A97DD-C53E-4C43-A054-C6DD51EEDEF0.jpeg 496E3B5B-F2C6-4380-84A8-D6B64FB66E5A.jpeg 0F83D336-8D9D-45C6-B052-D574A202035E.jpeg 3EC50754-80A1-4F75-91C2-8CB3E928D025.jpeg 13BA403A-0C3E-4EEF-AD1C-C85AA50D1BAC.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. dpang2836

dpang2836 Tele-Meister

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    Telekarster likes this.
  3. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

And.... you're already posting! Cool!!! Does this help by chance?

http://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/O...Telecaster 011306XXXX SM REV A 10-24-2016.pdf

4. j echo

j echo TDPRI Member

Thanks, dpang. A ground going to the switch defied my logic as well, but the spot where they clipped it looks like they left a small piece of black wire. Maybe I was soldered on a Friday afternoon @ 4:55.

5. j echo

j echo TDPRI Member

Wow! That was fast. Thank you so much. It’s close, but check out the pics I posted. The wiring looks different than mine. Is it possible there’s that much of a difference between the Am Pro and the Am Pro II wiring? Maybe because of the push/push pot?

Hopefully this will get me in the ballpark.

Telekarster likes this.
  6. dpang2836

dpang2836 Tele-Meister

Two Push Pulls is a tough one! That #5 shows 2 Push Pulls! I was never good at Wiring? I would try and then order a Harness by somebody, who knows his Stuff. With one Push Pull, there is a Jumper or two, and not all Pickup wires go to Switch. One or two go to Push Pull. I did see a Black wire in first Diagram, but used as a Hot wire, I think?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    Telekarster likes this.
  7. Telekarster

Yeah... I'm sure it has something to do with the push/pull stuff but was hoping that the diagram might help narrow it down for you a bit, plus you got a nice part number list to boot! ;) I don't know much about push/pulls unfortunately.

8. j echo

j echo TDPRI Member

Oh, i hope I didn’t sound ungrateful, quite the opposite. I think it definitely does narrow it down. I’ll have to take a closer look at the push/push wiring on mine and see if that is negating the need for jumpers on the switch which would make sense since it allows for switching between series and parallel. By golly, I think we might be on to it!

It’s been a few years since I fooled around with any wiring, so it’s taking me a minute to get my head back in the game. Believe it or not, this is less complex than the wiring for a build I’m working on. That one is going to be a nightmare!

Telekarster likes this.
  9. Telekarster

Right on man! Good luck! Don't forget some pics of the guitar ;) we wanna look-see at that baby! Cheers :)

10. j echo

j echo TDPRI Member

Ok, I think I’ve made more sense of this based on a combination of a series diagram that I’ve attached and the AmPro diagram that Telekarster so kindly posted earlier in the thread. Not sure why this didn’t hit me before. The black wire from the neck pickup isn’t a ground, but the negative because the yellow wire is the cover ground.

If my thinking is correct, then the black wire goes to B1 on the switch which explains the piece of clipped black wire that’s still there. The yellow wire goes to the volume pot with all the other ground wires. The white wire (+) goes to lug 1 on the volume pot where it joins up with the other wires for the treble bleed & connector to the push/push. I used a magnifier to look at all of the solder joints and there appears to remnants of wire on the PCB on lug 1.

Any thoughts? Am I off in my rationale? 538A216B-F6D0-4779-8C78-5C5C780FB451.png

11. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Friend of Leo's

AFAIK the Am Pro II has series/parallel switching on the tone pot. It should work something like this diagram which has a separate toggle switch not one on the pot. The wiring should be similar.
    I can't understand why Fender hasn't released the service manuals for the Am Pro II series and a lot of other recent models.

TeleSeriesParallel2.jpg

12. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Holic

Fender has yet to release any of the service manuals for the Am Pro II series, which is where the wiring diagrams are. They would normally be out a month or two after the guitars were released. These seem to be taking longer.

13. j echo

j echo TDPRI Member

Well, I was able to get it wired up and the only problem I've found is that the neck pickup is on regardless of selector switch position. My guess is that the white (+) wire on the neck pickup should have gone to ground, not lug 1 of the volume pot. T’was just a stupid move on my part since the negative lead was already going to B1.

That being said, this is a phenomenal sounding guitar! It's amazing how top tier pickups can turn a Squier Bullet that cost me $43 out of pocket into hefty rock machine. Once I fix my mistake, this may become one of favorite guitars.

Thanks to everyone for their input and help.

14. Bovarius

Bovarius NEW MEMBER!

I just got a loaded American Pro II guard as well and was also stumped until I found this thread. That black wire from the neck got me good.

Thanks to everyone for the insight!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  15. AlfalfaStrange

AlfalfaStrange NEW MEMBER!

I just received this from Fender Consumer Relations:

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.