1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

American Professional II or custom build?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by revelation2012, Mar 4, 2021.

1. revelation2012

revelation2012 Tele-Meister

I'm looking to treat myself to a tele. I like the Fender American professional ii tele. Particularly the white with rosewood. It pretty much tick all the the boxes except neck profile and poly finish. I'm sure it will retain better resale value than a custom built partscaster.

My other thought was the build one with MJT with the neck I like but resale may not be any better than a good partscaster.

What do you think I should do?

Fendereedo likes this.
  2. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Have you played an American Professional II? Did you like it? If so, that’s your answer.

If you’re worried about resale buy the Fender.
    If you know a partscaster (MJT or otherwise) is a better instrument, sight unseen, then buy it!

Fendereedo likes this.
  3. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Fender. If you are looking for an investment, and love the Fender, then that would be my choice. Partscaster, would probably work out cheaper initially, but you may have to part it out come resale time in order to get a decent return. MJT, I can't help you there, as I'm unfamiliar in all honesty with their work.

4. UPtele

UPtele Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I actually have the same question but I like the Roasted pine AP 2

Fendereedo likes this.
  5. Siamese

Siamese TDPRI Member

Either choice is valid. I just got a Stratocaster Pro II, and am very pleased with it. Will actually leave it stock. I happens to have replaced a parts caster.

revelation2012 and Fendereedo like this.
  6. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

You realize that you’re the only one who can truly answer that question, right?

if it were me, and I found a Tele I liked straight from the factory, I’d be thrilled! I wouldn’t get so hung up on the poly finish- get that out of your head and just see if you can’t learn to love it. Sometimes we get caught up on silly things we *think* we should want, but I assure you plenty of awesome guitarists wrote, recorded, and performed some of the greatest music ever on a poly finished neck. Would they have preferred a hand rubbed oiled roasted neck instead? Maybe. But they didn’t let any of that interfere with their craft.

Flip side: I reluctantly build my own guitars from parts because I can’t find what I want from the factory and honestly, it’s a bit of a burden. I wish I could bond with a Fender factory guitar because it would be easier, and I often love the way they look. If you dig a new Pro2 and you enjoy playing it, then what’s stopping you! Go for it !

Fendereedo and SRHmusic like this.
  7. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Ditto. For me it comes down to what I want for the neck (12in radius), frets (ss jumbo), and pickups, and that I prefer a contoured heel, and locking tuners... I've found I can build a 'just right' guitar for me at a lower cost than I can buy one from Fender, but it takes time to do and to dial it in. The flip side of that is that I don't worry about resale or messing up a factory guitar. At least Fender is starting to offer stainless frets now, and their noiseless pickups are getting better.

Bedder18 and Fendereedo like this.
  8. JRtele

JRtele Tele-Meister

Is this a forever guitar that you’ll hold onto for 10+ years? Custom.

Do you see yourself getting bored of a tele in a year or 2? Fender.

Fendereedo likes this.
  9. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Holic

Often custom built and partscasters don't turn out the way you want. I would rather play a finished guitar and love it or leave it.

10. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

Right there with ya. Gotta have my straight 12. Lately I’ve been enjoying a wider neck, too. And make mine a gibby scale while we’re at it.

SRHmusic likes this.
  11. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

I bought one guitar with resale value in mind. It's my least favorite guitar. I like it, but not nearly as much as any other guitar. I bought it because resale value was too big a factor and not how it played, looked or sounded.

My other guitars I really don't plan on selling because I like them a lot and play them a lot. If my estate only gets $200 for one of my Partscasters, I won't really care!

If a Partscaster looks, plays and sounds great, why would resale value get so much attention in your analysis?

12. dpang2836

dpang2836 Tele-Meister

With so many Tele's for sale, plus Parts Galore, even a Fender will lose you money! Had a 2008 American Standard ($1400) with a 3 Screw Bridge, Hot Pickups, etc. Far from "Standard", so I tried to sell a year later and got about $700? Been building my own since. That New American Professional II looks like a 4 Screw Classic Bridge on it? Wrong! String Holes are above Screw Holes. Fender does this Crap on purpose and I will never Buy another. My Vote Partscaster because you will get 50-60 percent back on any Guitar you decide, that you want to Re-sell.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  13. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

I've compared building my own guitar vs buying a Fender and it doesn't seem to save much money.

Either is a fine option, it just depends on what you really want out of the guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.