1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

American Performer?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Twofingerlou, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Twofingerlou

Twofingerlou Tele-Meister

Since they’ve been out a bit I figured this would be a good place to ask. Have one? If so how do you like it and having the Yosemite pickups?

I got to mess with one briefly at GC right before all this covid BS kicked off. It was a busy Saturday so I wasn’t trying to wear out my welcome.

Neck wise it seems to have the same radius ect as my strat so I’m not too worried about that. That vintage white with the two single coils keeps calling my name for some reason. Mainly wondering if it’s worth the extra money over the player series.

TIA!

2. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

I found the fit and finish was a little more dialed in than player series guitars, which are also fantastic these days BTW.

The one I wanted was the Hum model but I wasn't crazy about the color combinations so I haven't pulled the trigger yet. One day my Am Pro might get its own humbucker anyhow.

The correct guitar to choose is the one that makes you want to play it the most. That is near priceless. Sounds like that was the Performer for you.

Twofingerlou likes this.
  3. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I have the Performer Strat, and it's my favorite Strat ever. I love the Yosemite pickups, but it took a little getting used to the jumbo frets. I bought a LPB Squier Bullet Tele from MF when they were on sale, and I put the Yosemite Tele pickups in it, and I love them too. It's probably my favorite Tele ever now too, of the ones I've had. The Performers are a significant step up from the Player Series IMO, and well worth it.

Twofingerlou likes this.
  4. Twofingerlou

Thanks for the input! I have a player strat and like it, Really nice guitar just not in love with it and miss the feel of a tele. Had a Nashville tele for a while but sold it last fall. Having the middle pickup didn’t do much for me like in the strat. Probably more so user error though.

5. Twofingerlou

Thanks! I believe you get what you pay for up to a certain degree if you will. Performer price is about as far as I’m willing to go due to my skill level or lack there of haha

Fenderdad1950 likes this.
  6. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

I like the satin body finish on some of the Performers.

I would consider the humbucker version. I think that pickup configuration provides a unique sound and a good platform if you want to change the neck pickup.

Twofingerlou likes this.
  7. Twofingerlou

Maybe I’m weird but I just can’t get past the look of the humbucker in the neck.

8. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

For me it isn't the look, but the fact that a great Tele single coil neck pickup is magic, in the same way that a Strat one is.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    Twofingerlou likes this.
  9. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Have both the Performer Strat and Tele. Both are great.

On the T I like the pups a lot, although on the bridge pickup the G & B are a little too dominant... to my ears.

in fact 7 months ago I bought a set of Fralin Split Blades to put in and I still haven't had that done! I may just keep the original pickups.

This spring I did get it level and crowned.
    On the Strat I did have a Fralin vintage hot bridge pup put in.

. IMG_20200717_212016076.jpg

10. Twofingerlou

I dig the satin blue, I’ve just never had a guitar with the rosewood fretboard before.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  11. jfgesquire

How about a P90 in the neck? (Performer body, Allparts round laminate neck)

20200701_161941_HDR~2.jpg

12. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

It's a resusitation of the old Fat Teles and Hot Rod series Teles.

Twofingerlou likes this.
  13. Twofingerlou

I’ve never messed around with P90’s to be honest

14. Martian

Martian Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

CF707068-D65A-4871-A7C0-7D36ACB29DF2.jpeg
    Nice. I especially like the white ones with the white pickguard. [I’m not sure why but I saw this guitar last year and just loved how it looked.]

JL_LI, Twofingerlou and jfgesquire like this.
  15. jfgesquire

I used 4 way switching and I worked with the P90 so that it would be RWRP to the Tonerider Hot Classic bridge pickup.

The guitar is dead quiet in the parallel and series positions, and the two positions have very unique (good) properties - I hardly ever use the single pickup selections.

After my SSH Tele, this is my #2.

16. Ydwen Jones

Ydwen Jones Tele-Meister

I own a Performer Tele. I bought mine new in 2018 and it plays and sounds great, both for recording and performing live. Build quality’s really good. And I’d say, quality wise it’s definitely nicer than the MIM Tele I used to own. So I’m guessing it’s also a step up from a Player series Tele. I got the single pickup version, in satin sonic blue, which is a very subtle color and kinda hard to photograph. In most pics it looks paler/lighter than it is irl. Anyway, I'd say go for it. I don't think you'll be disappointed!
    Tele on the couch.jpg

JL_LI likes this.
  17. ken374

ken374 TDPRI Member

The low end was better over the players i compared them into a deluxe reverb. The players was a little dead sounding but still a good guitar so I went out and spend the extra cash on the American performer i use it with my fender and marshall studio amps. Still have the stock strings on since xmas eve. Like the meaty jumbo frets.

18. Pickingthru

Pickingthru Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

i had the Performer Tele HUM. Fit and finish was flawless. Played it very little. Just did not care for the jumbo frets. Also, decided on just two single coils. Sold on Reverb for a decent price. Bought a lightweight ash professional as a replacement.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.